Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Squash Blossoms, Grocery Deals, Pesticide You Can Drink

Today, it was 93 F at 5:30 pm. I have no idea how hot it was earlier. However, it was nice. I was sitting/lying in front of ac.

The free lunch we pick up was today. Both of us forgot it, so Tommy did not come up, opting to go to some Baptist event on another day where there is music and food. We have to bring a side. Cole slaw seems like a cheap, nutritious, and easy thing to take. I was going to take a pasta salad, but I will have to boil and stir. With cole slaw, I only have to stir. What do you think? There will be ample refrigeration for either one.

Suddenly Salad was $1/box. The usual price if $2.29. So, actually that is cheaper than slaw since it needs 1/2 cup of mayo. I use 1/4 and some milk.

I did get my free sandwich at Chic-Fil-A. I had not had one in at least 4 months, maybe longer. Tommy and I usually go there about noon and the place is packed. Kids and babies outnumber adults. Today, I went about 3 pm and there were very few people and only about 6 little ones.

I did dress like a cow. I cup four spots from and envelope, taped them on the front of a black tshirt. VOILA! I was a cow.

My cayenne pepper plant has one little nub of a pepper. The squash plant has a couple of blossoms. Everything is still in the nursery pots. I need to repot.

The basil plant is getting eaten by something. One plant died and then revived itself. It is all a mystery to me. because I have never grown this herb before. I even forgot what it was.

I caught the sales before they go off tonight. Cool Whip, 8 oz. was $1. I got 2 of those. I believe that is about half price. Suddenly Salad was $1 and the Ranch was gone. So, I have a Rain Check or five. I do have a couple of SS here, so I have enough for the church dinner.

Since I will not use commercial pesticide on my food plants, I got the stuff from the produce department to make pesticide tonight---jalapeno pepper. I have the rest--onion, garlic, Dawn, cooking oil. That will show the bugs. In aa blender put two cloves of garlic (not two bulbs), half an onion, a couple of jalapenos, in about  a cup of very hot water, blend. let sit. Pour into jar and leave in the refrigerator all night. In the morning, strain well through cloth,  Then pour about 1/4 cup in a sprayer and a pint of cold water, Tbsp. Dawn , 1/8 cup cooking oil, NOT olive oil. Shake. Now spray your plants. Keep it in the refrigerator. Remember, this must be strained through cloth so it won' t clog the sprayer.

Notes on this recipe: I don't remember the exact recipe, so if you use more of less of any item, it will be okay. The first  time I made this, I sprayed the plants about 6 times each day. About 4 days later, everything was dying. I sprayed them too much. So, beware. they recovered once I quit applying so much homemade pesticide.

The good thing about this pesticide is that you can put this in your home blender, wash the blender and use it for smoothies or food. Plus, if this pesticide is drunk, it will not kill you or poison you. Later, you can touch the plants or eat the harvest with no worry about what you are eating.

Tomorrow, I am making eggroll in a bowl. I have ground pork and coleslaw. I did not want to buy large quantities of an ingredient, so I got a sample of rice wine, little pouches from a condiment rack. I bought  nub of ginger. I had gotten a sample of Boar;s Head Horseradish, liked it and bought the bottle.

Also, I must make the squash casserole. It is not what I would chose to eat with eggroll/springroll, but that is the way it is. The squash have been here too long to delay this longer.

Okay, it is about 11 pm and I have items that need to be in refrigerator. ??? Oh, another thing I bought--field peas and snaps.

This post was unorganized. Okay....



4 comments:

  1. Something is eating my zinnias on the front porch. Maybe I should whip up some of the pesticide. I have everything on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy little critters make our life hell and then we turn and make hell back for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They kill our food and we use our food to kill them.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...