Sunday, August 4, 2019

The Religious

Why do I even interact? I can tell from the first interaction that things are not going to end well. I don't go looking for trouble, but in this place, it's always there. I should know better and just keep my mouth shut.

About six weeks ago I was about ten miles out on a country road at a doctor's office waiting for my appointment. I had a 1:30 appointment. I got to see him about 2:30. Why? According to the person at the window a new patient walked in and he had to see her first. That makes no sense.

A woman and her husband were sitting, waiting, too. An older man came in and stood talking in a  loud voice. According to these three all the ills in the world since the flood were caused  by the liberals. I forget what statement one of them made, but I spoke up. The woman said,  "I bet you watch FOX NEWS, don't you?

I agreed that sometimes I watch FOX and other news stations. Then, she said, "FOX  hates Trump, and they lie about him all the time."  I tried to point out that FOX was not against Trump, to check that fact.  I refused to respond to her remarks after that. She was trying to convince the air in the room  that Trump was a good Christian and had never lied and never was rude or demeaning to women, that it was all the fault of FOX.

I don't mind a battles of wits, but I refuse to interact with an unarmed person.

Then, I had to go to the laundromat. There was a guy who came in and started a conversation. Eventually, he tried to convert me. To what? From what? No idea. I was not much into the conversation but that did not deter him.

He stated he thought we were meant to meet that night. He entertained me with the short version of two past marriages, his service in the military, his disabilities, and the fact he had worked for GE for 20 years.

Finally, he pulled out the big guns and started quoting scripture. "If my people who are called by name shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and will heal their land. "

He tried to say that verse, got confused, forgot it, and started over four times, stammering the whole time. As he was botching it, I spoke up and finally, I just said the verse for him. He seemed genuinely surprised, and said, "Oh, you know some Bible!" I pointed out I had gone to a Bible college for two years. That seemed to humble him.

It was time to gather my wet clothes and leave. Mind you, the timer was for only 16 minutes. He tried his conversion remarks even as I pushed the door open and left. People some places seem to look at me and determine I need converting before I ever open my mouth. Or, is this their mode of interaction with everyone?

Incidents like this depress me. I don't mind an exchange of ideas, but these incidents are ridiculous. If I hold off on comments to their idiocy, they either determine they are converting me or I am resisting. I never wade right in either agreeing or disagreeing. I take a book or magazine to read. Do you find yourself in these situations?

EDIT I forgot that this was the night I did not put detergent in the machine, so was there for the second washing with detergent. Total time was 32 minutes.


8 comments:

  1. Whenever I go to doctor's offices no one talks to anyone else (unless it's the person they came with) at all. Usually everyone else is looking at their phone, or just sitting quietly. Looking straight ahead. Sometimes, many people people will be there for an hour or more, and no one speaks anyone else at all.

    Occasionally, if I'm at the Dollar store, for example, and someone else is looking at the same items I am looking one of us may briefly say something about the store, or whatever we are buying. It seems to me that people are much less likely to strike up conversations with people these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      The woman in the doctor's office did have her phone out at first, but when the third person came in, she just exploded about FOX and Trump. I was laughing so hard at her comments about FOX hating Trump. I guess it is all my fault.

      When I was at the gastroenterologist, finally there was only a woman and me in there. She moved up with me and was so upset about the test she was afraid she would have to have--colonoscopy. I tried to comfort her and explain the test. She started crying. I did not mind talking to her.

      Delete
  2. When I was pregnant with Son3, TheHub went with me to one of the last visits before his birth. While we were sitting in the packed waiting room an older woman walked in and sat down. I assumed she was hard of hearing because she was making very loud comments about everyone in the waiting room. When she got to me she said very loudly "That one's no spring chicken" TheHub, the girl sitting next to me and I all started laughing uncontrollably . Fast forward 20 plus years and now I am the one sitting in the waiting room with an older woman (Mom) who is hard of hearing and makes comments about every person in the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Maybe there was a little dementia, too. I cannot imagine going in a room and making comments about people, much less loudly. But, maybe I am not old enough or hard of hearing to make it seem normal to me. I hope your mother is not hurting feelings. What do you do when she says things about people?

      Delete
    2. Anne, I suppose it would not stop her and just engender more comments.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're blogging again. I enjoy your writing. Usually no one says anything to others in public places here. Sometimes, someone will talk to little children or babies. I have overheard interesting cell phone conversations. My mother, even before she got old, would talk loudly about private matters in public. I never understood her reasoning.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...