Monday, September 30, 2019

Protecting My Skin

As I mentioned earlier, the rays of the sun were hurting my skin. I would tan, not burn. However, the older I get, the worse the sun causes pain as it hits my skin. But, I solved that problem.

Several years ago I looked into clothing to keep injurious rays from skin. Well, the clothing was too expensive for me to consider.

However, I was desperate before the trip to Memphis. I remember that a sheen on the fabric helped reflect the sun's dangerous rays. Also, the fabric needs to be a tight weave.

I went to the store and bought satin-backed crepe, also known as crepe-backed satin. It was 55 inches wide. I bought 1.5 yards-54 inches. It cost me less than $9.

Satin-backed crepe is very shiny on the surface and dull and closely woven on the back. Maybe it is not exactly right. On the trip to Memphis and back, and on the trip to Cullman and back today, this piece of fabric was a life-saver. The sun just HURTS. it is like a blazing iron on my skin. With this square of fabric, I can drape it all over my body, even my toes if I cross my foot over my knee.

This needs improvement. I will sew something on one side to put around my neck and attach with a button or snap, sort of like a big loose bib. It keeps sliding down from my shoulder. No Velcro because and no ties because, well, no ties. Tommy and I have been wadding it up, pushing it into the back floor or front floor to get it out of the way or to keep it from sliding out of the car. It iswashable.

You may think this sounds hot. It is actually very cool. The direct action of the ac on the fabric sort of cools the underside next to my skin.

This is not a substitute for sunscreen. I did not wear any, but I did not assume I was subbing the fabric. However, we all know that we get tan lines from clothing we wear. As for uvb protection, I am not suggesting this is it.

I think my skin has become more sensitive to the sun as I get older, and I cannot stand the pain any longer. Have you noticed your skin is more sensitive as you age. I still don't get a sunburn, but I do not want to tan.

It was 98F here today. I love this!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found something that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I am, too. The feeling of a hot iron on my skin was torture.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...