Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Impeachment

When Nixon was impeached, he resigned before the trial. My son was four and understood very well that when one show on TV ended, another would begin. He was missing Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo. Maybe he only missed Romper Room. He was sad, so sad. His kindergarten he attended was out for the summer. He came to me with a doleful tone and face, "Mama, when will Watergate be off the TV?" He expected that Watergate would have a predictable end.

Tuesday, I did make dinner-- salmon croquettes, sweet potatoes, Romaine, blueberry muffins. I put too many oats in the salmon and the croquettes were dry. Plus, I had no onion and was not asking Tommy to go out to get it. However, as usual, the sweet potatoes were spectacular. I used a pouch of blueberry muffin mix and put frozen blueberries in them.

Wednesday, today, Tommy's cousin took us to lunch at Bright Star, a nice restaurant in Bessemer. Two Greek brothers owned it. One died a few months ago, so the other brother is still there. The food was delicious. I had half a chicken and rice pilaf, baked apples, and Greek potatoes. Everything was delicious. I brought all the rice and most of the chicken home. It looks like dinner tonight. Broccoli will be steamed.

Tommy's great grandfather is the cousin's grandfather. He and I knew a lot of the same people as he live in Cullman County. I tried not to talk too much since it was a lunch for them. Tommy said I did not...whew.

After the meal we grocery shopped--3 lbs. Halos, strawberries, bananas. grape tomatoes, broccoli, milk, and Cella Chocolate Covered Cherries. I did buy plastic spoons and forks. I needed a mattress cover. I have been meaning to buy a travel pillow, so I finally got that...oh, and nail polish. Leaf Lettuce was all starting to turn brown and had a date of next Wednesday, so I will return for that when they have fresher Leaf Lettuce. It is the easiest way to get green stuff into Tommy. He will actually go in and pluck a loose leaf or two from the box. If he had to dismantle it, he would never eat it. When I have been in bed at lunch or dinner, he has to take care of feeding himself. Otherwise, I get all his food out and heat it for him. All the groceries were bogo or on sale.

In this city a little pink bag of coupons is thrown every week. That is where I get the newspaper inserts. I had a $5 coupon that I would use. Now, I cannot find it. So, I just sent Tommy into the cold, dark night to get them from the curbs of neighbors. He said some people never bring them in and toss them into the trash on Thursday night when they take the trash to the road. He said I could get them and no one would care. I am afraid...lol...so he went to get them for me. He is a good man...lol.


The two packages of chicken are almost thawed in the refrigerator. I now plan that for tomorrow. There is plenty of food here. I just do not meal plan as such.

16 comments:

  1. I love chocolate covered cherries, only the milk chocolate ones. We always got them for Christmas when I was young. I bought a box this year and hid them. Ate two a day until they were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara,
    I had forgotten about them when I wanted something sweet a few hours ago. Now, I may go get two. I only like the Cella, the kind with no white stuff inside. Mama never bought Chocolate covered cherries when we were young, but I never liked them because of the nasty white stuff. Now, my mouth is watering for some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lunch out sounded nice. I have never had a Cella chocolate covered cherry. Hope you had a nice evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      We did have a good time...good company and good food. The Cella are pricey, but worth it. I will not buy anymore until December. Sometimes, you can find them find them on the counter at gas stations on the counter at an exorbitant price.

      Delete
  4. Oh I love the Cella Chocolate Covered Cherries. Around here they are hard to find except at Christmas time. I could eat a whole box in one sitting if I'm not careful. lol. I would pick up the coupons too. Wonder why more people don't just look at least to see if they could use them. I would out of curiosity. I always check the "junk" mail that comes too. Have found several free coupons for places that are just opening. Again people throw them in recycling down near our mail boxes. I have a grabber and retrieve them. I have no shame. The container is just for recycling so no nasty food or other dirty items just paper. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      If I keep the box near me, I just keep eating. That's why I put it out of sight in the kitchen! I will eat two each day. Look at gas stations if you go in. They are net to cash register and individually wrapped. I, too, wonder about non-users of coupons. Oh, I have no shame, either. If I see people in the PO sorting their mail, I stop and ask them if they have coupons they are throwing away. Sometimes, the allow me to have them.

      Delete
    2. I am never too proud to save money. My mom taught me to be frugal. Funny thing was I didn't know we were really poor the whole time I was growing up. Mom made our clothes and we had a few sets of good ones and then a few play clothes. Food was grown or raised and mom cooked from scratch every day. Take care.

      Delete
    3. Crystal,
      I caught on early that we were poor. Mama made our clothes, too. We had gardens at some places we live. no, I am not too proud, either!

      Delete
  5. I only eat Cella also , can't stand the white stuff.
    Hope the weather is good for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Until I discovered Cella, I never ate Chocolate covered cherries. Mama always had them at Christmas, the nasty kind. It's a gray day here with rain. We have nowhere to go. We plan to stay in and only shop when the weather is good.

      Delete
  6. I love chocolate cherries and will eat a whole box myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lunch sounds like a feast! I remember my mom liking the chocolate covered cherries. I find them a bit too sweet, which is rare as I love sweet stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Lunch was a feast! And, I had chicken and rice left for dinner. The ones with white stuff inside are so sweet I cannot eat them. The Cella is not too sweet. Do you ever eat Cella?

      Delete
  8. I don't recall if I have ever had chocolate-covered cherries. They sound quite sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      All except Cella have white gooey stuff in them. It is too sweet! Try Cella.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...