Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Brought Home Bacon Instead of Chicken

The chicken was not on sale on Monday at Piggly Wiggly. On the way out of the store, I saw "OINKS, chocolate covered bacon." Unfortunately, I succumbed to the package with ONE piece of bacon for $1.80. I will never buy it again. But, it was wonderful--Applewood smoked chocolate covered bacon. Tommy did not want half. So, I begged him to try one bite. He said the bacon was good, but he did not like chocolate on it. Have you ever had chocolate covered bacon?

If I were inspired enough, I would make this for the breakfast at church. I would need to make trial run. But, that would be a pain. Instead, I will scramble a dozen eggs, maybe with cheese in it.

Since bscb were not on sale, I came home and fought the freezer to avoid an avalanche and got out chicken that is skinless but still has bones. I have never seen chicken packaged that 3way before. Have you? I also took out a package of the bscb. All this can go in the oven. This will make enough to freeze. These large chunks of frozen meat will have to go into water to thaw them in time to cook and eat them today.

Sunday, I gave in to the urge to have Kraft Macaroni n Cheese. All was going well until I tried to drain the pasta. The colander was not clean, so I used the lid with five or six holes in the side, holding it on the pot as I turned the pot over. Surprise! I dumped all but about 3/4 cup of the pasta into the sink. Lovely! In order to salvage some of the cheesy choice I was craving, I used what was left in the pot, put half the cheese in it, a dash of milk, and microwaved it. FOR TOO LONG. We both had about a quarter of a cup of the burned cheese in the shriveled pasta. I suppose that is what I get for trying to eat mac n cheese.

I have made an executive decision just now. We will have salmon croquettes for dinner instead of the chicken. I have sweet potatoes baked and in the refrigerator and will cook field peas and snaps. Tommy loves all three of these, so I am set. If I had greens, we could that, too.

Two hours after the last sentence, I have changed plans. I am watching Impeachment proceedings. I told Tommy that he may have to eat pb sandwich for dinner. He said "okay" or that he could go out to get a burger for us. I will cook dinner.

24 comments:

  1. I love Kraft Mac and Cheese in the blue box. Sorry you did not get to enjoy it. It is comfort food for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Thanks. I could eat it several times each week. But, I try to limit it to once every two or three months. It is comfort food for me, too. With pasta, cheese, and butter, what's not to like? lol

      Delete
  2. I have been having a Kraft Macaroni and Cheese craving. I haven't caved in yet, but I did buy a box last shopping trip, haha! Now that you bring it up, I'll probably have to just have this for dinner tonigh. haha. maybe with some tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had this box about two months and finally decided to eat it. I have picked it up and fondled it several times before I gave in.

      Delete
  3. I find it difficult to clean my colander, and often end up knicking my fingers or thumb cleaning it.

    Your posters have me craving Kraft Dinner, the old fashioned kind in the blue and yellow box that says it is the cheesiest. It's even cheesier by the time I add a little more shredded cheddar to it. I prefer Kraft Dinner to the mac and cheese that the people on the cooking shows versions where they put all kinds of different cheeses and seasonings in. I have fond memories from childhood of Kraft Dinner being kept warm on the pilot light of the stove until I got in from playing in the summer. I guess that is why, to this day, I prefer it on the tiny bit dry and not so creamy side.

    I can't imagine bacon covered with chocolate. I like both, but separately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      If I wash it immediately, I can get it clean. If I wait to wash it, I have to soak it. but, either way, no nicks in skin. I don't think I ever had that at home. But, I am much older than you. It's funny how our childhood experience molds us and our tastes. I don't put in more cheese when it is for me. I just don't use all the cooked pasta. I save that to eat with olive oil and parmesan cheese.

      Delete
  4. I had to laugh about the macaroni spilling because I have done the same thing already. I never heard of bacon covered with chocolate. And what is pscb? I got skinless chicken breasts at Costco. they were expensive, I use them for soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann,
    bscb--boneless, skinless, chicken breast. If I had spilled it on a dirty dish, maybe I would have eaten it, but the bottom of the sink and drain? No. I figure the cost of bscb would be about the same as the cost of chicken breasts where I have to throw out the skin and bones. I have never made chicken soup, but I should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bacon, mmm. Chocolate, mmmm. I am sure I'd love chocolate covered bacon. Last week I had the box mac and cheese craving. I bought these back in October when my college kid was home-she had good sense to pass. It sure tasted good last week, I'll confess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I have learned to eat the box seldom. If I did what I wanted, I would have it more often.

      Delete
  7. Mother and Son 2 made mac and cheese from a box of elbow mac and Velveeta cheese. I now make it this way since the rest of the family likes it this way the best. I hate trying to drain with a lid. I always get a steam burn and dump the pasta. I have 5 strainers on top of the Hoosier and 2 hand strainers I could use also that are on top of the Hoosier also. I had hickory smoked bacon covered in choc. It was good for a treat. I don't care for Applewood smoked bacon. Love it for pork loin or pork butt though.
    Blessed Be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I had five colanders that all went into the dump plus 3 hand strainers. It is very discouraging. Steam burns have happened, too when I tried to use the lid. Did you buy the chocolate covered bacon?

      Delete
  8. I had a straining led that I put in the thift store box after a few months. Either the steam or the shift of ingredients and my pasta ended up the same place as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendi,
      Over the years I have spilled a bit of pasta, but this time it was almost all of it. I don't blame you for tossing the lid.

      Delete
  9. I ate a lot of boxed mac n cheese growing up so don't care for it now. I always have noodles so when I crave mac n cheese I just make my own with whatever cheese I have on hand. Toss in a little salt n pepper, butter,milk and usually 2 or 3 different cheeses and I am in heaven 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hidden,
      That sounds better than the stuff of recipes on the internet. I ate mac n cheese in a very nice restaurant. It was just elbow macaroni in bland white sauce--no cheese. I did not eat it since it was calories I did not enjoy.

      Delete
  10. I got a fairly nice strainer at Dollar Tree. I have another one but the Dollar Tree one is the one I use the most

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed a colander for pasta. I have one, but it was dirty. Thanks.

      Delete
  11. I do have a 4 cheese and bacon mac and cheese recipe that is so good, but when I'm craving something quick and easy, it's the blue box, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Maybe you could share it either here on your blog? The blue box is tops. I have tried other brands, but Kraft is best box.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for explaining to someone upstream what "bsbc" meant. I didn't have a clue. I learned something new today.

    I haven't blogged or commented on blogs in over a week until today. I hope your consternation about the silence did not include me. I explain a little of why I was absent in my current post. Hang in there, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      It is easier to remember if you write it bscb...lol.
      no, it did not include anyone in particular. I do love comments. Some people have left nasty comments about my abuse of Tommy. You never see those because I do not publish those. I will check your blog.

      Delete
  13. chocolate-covered bacon - had to reread that to ascertain that's what was written. This combination sounds wrong to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I think I got whiplash when I jerked my head to see if I saw what I thought I saw. It was vert good. But, you are correct; it does seems so wrong. Plus, two things to avoid in one package hurts me to think about.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...