Sunday, February 2, 2020

Sunday Church Breakfast and Found a Penny and Thrift Store

Saturday night I did not want to cook...period! There were two baked potatoes in the refrigerator that I baked about three days ago. A small portion of English peas were waiting since I forgot to give them to Tommy. I gave him a chicken thigh from the freezer and half of another. So, there will be another portion for dinner on Sunday night. And, I will bake sweet potatoes. Two days done! Just the way I like it...lol. It was all leftovers. Oh, and a salad.

This Sunday morning is the Birthday Breakfast for all the people who have birthdays in January. I cooked twelve eggs, six at a time. His tiny skillet will not hold more. I spilled about one egg and ate another when they were done. So, I suppose I took ten eggs. I ate them at the breakfast, too, maybe three. Someone brought eggs, but I could not eat them, ever. The white was showing all over. I had eggs three times, a raisin oatmeal cookie, a flat biscuit, and pineapple chunks. I did wait until the end to get more eggs. I suppose we had two dozen eggs scrambled for 8 people. There was other food to eat, but it was all processed little weenies in a sauce and some sort of one bite of a smoked sausage.

After I scramble my eggs with a beater, I strain them. Somehow, I spilled about one egg. I cleaned up the counter before I left. Some got on a dish towel with clean dishes on it. At any rate, I got to church before the woman who made me move from "Her place." The preacher had the flu, so his wife read Psalms 25, and we came home. YAY!

We went to return stuff. I got a new pair of pants in the place of the one with pills all over it. The jacket I kept as I would lose money getting back what they would give me. This was all sweat suit type stuff. Then, he brought me home to pee and took me back to a thrift store.

I wanted a 10x 13 casserole but, of course, none was to be had in the thrift store. I did get a very pink, floral plate perfect for a cake or cookies or whatever. I found a diamond-shaped little dish that looks like something from Japan. But, I believe it is hand-painted by an individual here and then put in a kiln here. There is a tiny flaw, but I have nail polish sitting in it instead or falling over and being shoved around.

I decided to go further into the store. I got to electronics and found nothing to resell. When I rounded the corner, I found a carrom board with the little stick. I sold these all the time thirty years ago. I can make money from the board. It still has bright paint on it, not faded, not scratched! I just don't know where I will sell it. The board has provenance in the form of where it was made and the date 1970. Maybe it is not provenance, but it is more than the ones I found years ago.

We worked the neighborhood, picking up pink bags with coupons in them. These are thrown on Monday night or Tuesday morning. Some people get them in, some throw them in the trash on Thursday night. I figure the rest are fair play. So, I got five packages of coupons and store ads. I cut out coupons I wanted, threw away the ads, and have saved the rest for my friend who used them for the food bank items. I feel very successful at couponing today.

As I cut/tore coupons, I got to thinking about the Carrom board, There are parts that go with it. I have never found any, but I was hopeful. I sat here explaining all this to Tommy and wishing aloud I could that I could go back and see if there were any. There were two pieces of tape on the board. I went into the store and looked where the board was located. Sure enough, there was a sandwich bag of parts. I took it up front and explained how I had bought the board and how the parts were separated from it. The woman told me to take them. I was trying to show her the receipt, but she believed me and did not treat me like a thief.

I looked at dishtowels that looked new. They were $1.49, too much for me to pay.

And, I found a penny! Watch out Sluggy, I am overtaking you. Tonight, we will have ham or chicken and baked sweet potatoes and salad. There should be enough ham here for three days.

Have you ever heard or seen or used a Carrom Board?

9 comments:

  1. may the penny bring you good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always thrilled to find a penny or a nickel or a dime or a quarter. My adult children will not even bend over and pick one up off the ground. Too paltry, I suppose. Not worth the effort.

    May I just say that you sure do go shopping a lot. I don't mean to be unkind or impertinent, but do you think you may have hoarding tendencies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why you would say I shop a lot. No, I do not think I have hoarding tendencies!

      Delete
  3. It's funny that you ended the post with the question about the board. As a matter of fact, when I read that paragraph, I clicked over to a new screen and Googled it before finishing the post. I had never heard of it, nor have I ever seen one that I can recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I had never heard of Carrom either until about 35 years ago when I started buying them everywhere and selling them.

      Delete
  4. We played carrom non stop as kids. I loved that game Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I have no idea how to play it as until now I have never had sticks or game pieces. I will have to look up directions to play.

      Delete
  5. deleted post,
    I accidently deleted your comment. Re-submit it, please.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...