Monday, August 31, 2020

"I just want to tell you I am cooking under protest."

"I just want to tell you I am cooking under protest." Tommy just looked at me blankly, probably trying to figure out what just happened. My sttement was not colored with any emotion, just a flat statement in a calm voice. It was already 8 pm.

Sunday night, I was just not feeling cooking. He never asks or harrasses me about cooking.Good for him. He really is easy to please since he does not know how to cook. Well, mostly. I must look like a miracle-maker, a cooking god with magical powers.

If it were up to me, some nights, I would not cook at all, just nibble. Do you ever feel that way? Actually, I just wanted another pan of brownies. However, I was not tempted at all. 

Salmon Croquettes seemed like a great idea since I had thawed nothing. Well, I passed a can of tuna on the way to the salmon and used that. But, I thought I had no onions, so I left them out. Note to myself---> never leave out the onions in the croquettes!  It turned out there were about 6 onions here! 

I used the Lodge skillet for the first time, and after greasing it with bacon grease two times and heating and cooking bacon once, it was perfectly non-stick. Then, I made a grilled cheese sandwich in it and it still did not stick. I am calling it good, never washing it and keeping it in the oven. The croquettes did not stick at all even though I feared the worst.

A can of green beans was opened. I should have opened collards instead. They go better with croquettes.

While I was muttering in my head about onions, I decided I will buy dried onions for times I have no onions. I used them early in my marriage, but have not used them for about 40 years. It's time. I have no idea if onions will be available or not in the future. I had jars of dehydrated Vidalia onion but no more since they are in the dump. If I could get to my dehydrator I would dehydrate more onions. 

Do you ever NOT want to cook and have no good reason? I was not ill, tired, too busy.     

Do you ever use commercially dehydrated onions? Or, do you dehydrate your own? 

20 comments:

  1. Do I ever not want to cook? 7 days out of 7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      LOL...my friend who is 90 and acts like she is much younger said she has been cooking for 75 years and is tired of cooking and does not want to do it anymore.

      Delete
  2. with just me all day until after 7, and then it is so late, I'd rather nibble as well. We called that girls dinner when my girls were home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      This girl can appreciate that kind of dinner. If it were just me, I would pull off a bit of chicken, eat some cheese, and whatever fruit, with a vegetable and call it good. AND, I might take two hours to nibble on all this.

      Delete
  3. Some nights nothing is better for dinner than a bowl of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      You are so right. I have done that. Or, ate a pan of brownies! Not often, but it happens. Now, where is the ice cream.

      Delete
  4. I just want a break from cooking sometimes. Husband has high blood pressure so I always want to cook low salt which means I cant use a lot of prepared or boxed meals. he is not fussy tho so low salt soup, a muffin, and a salad will work. That is still cooking tho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Neither of us has high blood pressure, but I try to keep boxed stuff to a minimum. I think if someone cleaned up after me, I could handle cooking.

      Delete
  5. HATE.TO.COOK. But I do love to bake!! Thankfully, like Tommy, my husband is easy to please & will eat just about anything. So I'm luck for that. & he likes salads - chicken salads, etc. But yeah, I'd rather be scrubbing toilets than cooking! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SusieQ,
      I say he is easy to please. He refuses to eat eggs in any form, will not eat pimiento, bananas. chicken salad. Our problems arise when I want one of these and do not want to fix different for him. He does not demand anything, just demands NOT to be given foods he hates. So, no tuna salad, no banana pudding, no scrambled eggs, etc. If I could bend to clean the toilet, that WOULD be preferable...lol. Thanks for the laugh.

      Delete
  6. If it were up to me I'd cook no nights, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bleh--I get tired of eating my own cooking, and cleaning up after. In summer it seems especially difficult to think of things to cook that wont involve me standing in front of the stove getting too hot, or using the oven getting the whole house too hot. Not long now and we should have some cool enough days to put a roast and some carrots and potatoes in the oven and it's a good meal. At this time for me, it seems when I make a good supper, I don't have enough energy and time to get much else done in the day besides cleaning up the kitchen and doing dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I whole-heartedly agree! All my enregy is spent on food prep or cleanup. That is why he is on his own for all breakfasts and about half the lunches.

      Delete
  8. Often I don’t want to cook but I do, and when the food is ready, I’m always glad I did cook.
    I go through spurts with dry onions- but I always keep them on hand and in my prep storage I also have a good supply. Onions add so much to dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhonda,
    Most days, I do not want to cook, but some days I fight it. I have onions right now, but the thought they will be good for the future, dried, has made me determined to buy them dried. Yes, I love onion flavor in lots of things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHA I read the comments- so funny. I am a leftover gal so I cook a big meal and then eat it for several days. I do pretty much cook from scratch though. My mom in her 70s would go through a drive in or use a packaged box- scalloped potatoes, instant potatoes, Kraft dinner, etc. She hated cooking. Have you tried making your own frozen dinners for those days you really are not in the mood? If I roast a big chicken or turkey, I will make a dinner with mashed potatoes, gravy, meat, dressing and freeze several. I do double wrap and when I heat it in the microwave later, it tastes good. I'm like Anne and watch the salt. Onions- I never run out. I get them now weekly in the produce delivery. I also almost always have potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan ,
      i do lovr leftovers and can eathem for a week! I freeze the different parts of a meal, not thr whole meal together. I am not running out of onions either, just not using them because i thought I was out.

      Delete
  11. Several years ago when I had carpal tunnel problems and then the surgery to fix it, I discovered packaged frozen chopped onions and started buying them since it was so hard for me to use a knife to slice onions because of the pain. They have spoiled me for chopping onions myself forever and they are such a time saver. I like onions added to so many of the dishes that I cook. A few times a year I will buy a sweet Vidalia onion for something I am making. Nothing beats the flavor of a Sweet Vidalia onion when they first come into the stores each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      We do get spoiled, don't we? I had pints of dehydrated Vidalia onions that went to the dump. I miss them. When I get my dehydrator back, I will dehydrate some yellow onions for now and dehydrate more in the spring. I was slicing onions when I cut into my thumb, so I am a little knife shy around onions.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...