Friday, December 18, 2020

Birds Like Christmas Wreath

 


So this is the Pearls Galore Hat I love. 

This color is blush. I wish I had a scarf this color. Even though the weather is not cold enough for a hat, I am going to wear this one anyway. After Christmas I am sure I will need this for about a week. 

The watering can with holly looks fabulous. Tommy likes it. I haven't looked for the Christmas house, yet. I will. I was going to buy fake stuff and get it over with and save it for another year. All I could find had glitter on it. Knowingly bringing glitter into this house is not something I will do! 

Tuesday, I was going to move stuff from the dining room just because it has needed moving for months. Now, at least I can bend without feel so funny I have to hold onto things. Well, I managed to start spilling a bag of rice. I got most of it up before spilling the whole pound. 

And, the day after I finishe the Azithromycin, I started feel funny, like I was going to fall over. Walking is hard to do without wobbling.

Friday, I went back to Oral surgeon. He checked for food stuck in socket. Still wobbly. 

In my last house, I put a beautiful (to me) Christmas wreath on the side door, the door I entered. This porch had walls on three sides, so it was sheltered. 

One day, I came home, unlocked the door and swung it inward. A tiny bird had found the wreath, sat in it out of site and flew in and all around the house. With 10 ft ceilings, I was using a broom to try and "sweep" him out. this happened four times. The last time was when a delivery from a caterer was delivered. I had the young delivery boy help me get the bird out!

Has an animal ever taken refuge in your wreath or other Christmas display?



12 comments:

  1. One year I made a Christmas wreath like Martha Stewart had pictured on her magazine cover years ago. It was a wreath completely covered in cranberries. It took me a lot of time to make it. It was a fairly large wreath and I stuck toothpick after toothpick with a cranberry on each one into the wreath. I got it done and it looked so pretty hung on my white front door storm door. It showed up so nice with our white house and blue gray shutters, and back then we had a big blue spruce in the front yard which we put lights on. The cranberries just shined shades of deep or bright red on that wreath. I went out and admired it a couple of times a day at first. Then my husband and I had gone somewhere and returned home and cranberries were missing off of my wreath. They weren't anywhere fallen onto the porch or nearby ground. The next day even more cranberries were missing, by the third day of missing cranberries, my wreath was looking like it had mange, but I discovered who was thieving my cranberries. It was a mockingbird. He must have thought we had gotten creative feeding the birds that year. I took the wreath and laid it on my summertime plant table and he continued to feast on the berries into January. I put a fake pine wreath on my door when I took the cranberry one off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      Thanks for that cute story. That was great you just gave in and gave it to him. My colored corn hung on the door met the same fate once it went into the basement--squirrels!

      Delete
  2. Wrens tend to congregate in things on the door. They like to be close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a bat in the kitchen once. The UPS man was just coming to deliver and he helped me get the bat out. Another time I went into the bathroom and when I turned on the light the neighbors dog (big 100 lb dog) was asleep on the floor. Not sure how he got inside but he was a friendly dog and I just let him there until he woke up. He would visit us occasionally but never came in the house before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      I am glad you had someone to help! A bat would have been worse than a wren. The dog would have frightened me, but letting a sleeping dog lie sounds like the best.

      Delete
  4. I always have birds trying to next in my door wreaths. They give up when the traffic becomes too much for them. I did have a pair of bluejays nest in a rhododendron about 18 inches from my picture window. We had a wonderful time watching the babies grow!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I guess I don't have enough traffic at my door. That must have been fun watching the baby birds.

      Delete
  5. One day a dog used the electric door to come in to the hospital where I worked. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. On more than one occasion we would find empty nests in our christmas trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      That would be interesting. I have never found a bird nest or any living creature in our many live trees.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...