Sunday, July 11, 2021

Tough Blueberries?

 Saturday night, I told Tommy he needed to come help with the dishes. The dishwasher was almost empty of clean dishes. Since I felt so horrible for four days this last week, I just used dishes out of the dishwasher and piled dirty ones in the sink. 

I handed him the few clean dishes after I stacked like with like items and told him where they went. He handed me the dirty dishes and I loaded the dishwasher all the while leaning on the counter. He was a great help. I staggered back to the living room, thinking he would be along. No, he stayed. I went in to see what he was doing. He was washing off the cookie sheets I had used to bake in the oven. 

Still, he stayed a long time in the kitchen. After he came into the living room, I had reason to go to the kitchen and was shocked. He had sort of cleaned out the sink. AND, instead of being wadded up, he had actually rinsed food from the two dish cloths and hung them--one over faucet and one over the sprayer. Then, he had a wet dish towel hanging over something on the sink. I had mentioned how I try to let things dry hanging over something instead of souring wadded up. He admitted he did not clean the sink well, just cleaned up the "gunk," his words. Monday morning, I was pleased to have dry cloths to put in dirty clothes. 

So, he listens!

While he was in the kitchen, I managed to fold clothes that I had put off. There is always something to do! Right?

I slept well and long Saturday night. Then, I napped when I lay down Sunday afternoon because my back hurt. 

The blueberry cobbler was sort of nor what I wanted, but delicious. Today, I heated some of the berries and they were tough. Tommy said they were tough last night. Actually, they were tough when thawed and even partially thawed. I tasted a few. Do you know why my blueberries were tough? 

10 comments:

  1. Men in the kitchen! My late husband would clean out the fridge weekly, tossing condiment and dressing bottles into the sink to be washed. When I met my current husband, he had been widowed for 7 years and routinely piled dirty dishes in the sink and lived out of the dishwasher until it was empty and then fill it. When I refused to eat in his house, he got the picture!
    Good job, Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      There were rotten sponges full of food in the kitchens. He said not to touch them. I think it was a month before I was allowed to toss them. Silly man. I wonder if he will revert to his old ways if I were gone...lol. I hate dishes piled in the sink, but that beats having them all over the kitchen! Condiment bottles need to be cleaned before being put in the refrigerator. Tommy has managed to do that since I told him, thankfully.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are gradually making progress with him! More than most men change, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      He has quit being so angry most of the time, at least.

      Delete
  3. I had some blueberries that had been in the freezer too long and they were a bit hard feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I never knew being frozen too long would cause them to be hard.

      Delete
  4. When you freeze blueberries it does toughen the skin some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      What I read was that washing before freezing would make the skins tough. And, I have frozen blueberries before. These were commercially frozen. But, who would want to wash after freezing?

      Delete
  5. Wouldn’t they also be hard/tough if they were not fully ripe when picked?

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...