Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Panic in Publix

 "There was a panic in Publix." When I told Tommy this, he asked if someone was sick. No, but people were flying around looking for food.  I just needed measuring spoons, bananas, and a gingerbread kit jumped in my buggy to go home with us. Publix is closed tomorrow, so this is the last chance. I could have probably guessed the measurements for the pumpkin pie; bananas were not a critical ingredient and Tommy hates them; I would never have missed the gingerbread house. The traffic was horrendous in the Publix shopping center. It was hard to escape.

Can you believe the set of measuring spoons had no Tablespoon measure? I do know that 3 teaspoons equals 1 Tablespoon! But, why? I can do that. But, I only have a Tablespoon measure that someone gave me when I had nothing. Nice! I thought maybe this set had lost its T, but the rest of the sets, the kind on a little ring did not have the T, either. 

What I need to do before the day--make green bean casserole, make one deviled egg, brown flour for gravy, dice eggs for gravy, make two pumpkin pies. We are not having sweet potato casserole as we have enough sweets. Tommy is disappointed, but he is getting the green bean casserole, probably full of carbs, too. As you can see, I have fallen behind in my plans. 

Have you ever seen a set of measuring spoons without a Tablespoon measure? Did you go out for anything at the grocery store today, Wednesday? 

22 comments:

  1. Bill works in the grocery department at Walmart he said it was insane today at work. He got cussed out by 2 different people because they were out of turkey bags, and they didn't have fresh, thawed out turkeys. Craziness.
    I hope you and Tommy have a good Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I wonder why people who wait think it is the fault of people who work in the store. We will have a good day, I am sure. I hope your family has a great Turkey Day.

      Delete
  2. My sister who was bringing dinner rolls has Covid, so I ran early to the local grocery and bought 5 dozen dollar buns, 3 white, 2 wheat. It wasn't crazy at that time, but was busy. I bet by the afternoon it was packed. You were brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM.
      I am quite sure it was less crowded early in the day. It was certainly busy and crowded! I wanted bananas and those measuring spoons, so took my chances. I had worked hard not to go in there by shopping earlier in the week.

      Delete
    2. Hoping that your sister does ok, Minnesota is in a tough position right now. I had two grandkids and a daughter in law diagnosed two weeks ago. She is still having some after effects. Blessings to all this holiday.

      Delete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you snd Tommy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to PUblix when it opened yesterday. The parking lot had a lot of cars in it, apparently I was not the only one who wanted to get in the store early and beat the crowd. It was a quick trip, easy in and easy out. Happy Thanksgiving Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      They were still in Publix when I got there. I sensed a panicky crowd.
      Happy Thanksgiving, Lisa!

      Delete
  5. I didn’t go to the store to see the busy shoppers, but I can imagine how it was. I have a basket of measuring spoons. They are an easy find at yard sales and useful in many things, so we have extras of many of them if we need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      There were no yard sales yesterday. Besides, I cannot browse when I find a yard sale! Before I was here, I had several sets.

      Delete
  6. Dollar Tree has a full set of measuring spoons and also measuring cups. I saw the same sets at other stores for a higher price ($4.95 at one store I go to). even if Dollar Tree ups its prices it is a better deal for so many things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      I wish I could shop there. Publix has electric carts.

      Delete
  7. It always amazes me that the shops close for one day and everyone panics because they're all going to starve! Still, I'm glad you got what you wanted - and happy Thanksgiving to you and Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      They all forgot something necessary in their minds to Thanksgiving. Who knew I had no measuring spoons? Not me. Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

      Delete
  8. I stopped at the grocery store Monday afternoon to get bananas and milk and it was crazy then. I saw a woman looking for a turkey. There were only 4 turkeys left and all of them were 25 pounds or more. I felt bad for her. That's too big for most but people need to learn to shop a little earlier with everything going on now.
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori,
      I saw the handwriting on the wall and had all I really needed. When I went in on Monday afternoon, it looked like Friday evening. People were carrying carts out full of groceries. I suppose those were the early shoppers.

      Delete
  9. I would be thoroughly annoyed at a measuring spoon set that did not have a tablespoon! Would not buy because of that.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...