Thursday, July 28, 2022

Ads Are a Bit Better

 Wednesday, I wanted more salad to have with tomatoes, so Tommy went into Publix. Everything on the list was reduced, bogo or on sale.  Cheerios were bogo, as was the Fresh Express American salad mix. The biggie for me was carrots--two pounds for $1.79. So, I had him get four pounds, two packages. We may get more carrots before the sale goes off. We love carrots. The last time I bought carrots they were $1.29/lb. So, we have four pounds, each less than $0.90 cents. 

There were not many meat or vegetable ads we want to use, but if you want really cheap Nilla Vanilla Wafers, they are cheap at The Pig. There are lots of sales on snack stuff. The salad and carrots at Publix are better sales than I have seen lately. Most prices are only few cents cheaper.

On Wednesday, Tommy went out to water flowers. All of a sudden, the water was a fine mist and covering the porch I could see and the door. I wondered what was happening. Maybe his hand slipped, and the hose is on the ground. Maybe he is on the ground. Well, I will look in a minute, I thought. Finally, I saw him trying to hurry through the deep St. Augustine grass. When he came in, he said the hose developed a split. 

I gave him Alien Tape I bought and the directions to read. He took the Alien tape and went out to mend the hose and water flowers using a milk jug. He read the directions that said it might take 24 hours to make a good seal. Well, on TV the guy seals a hole in his boat and appears to use it immediately. Oh my! Maybe the ad is deceptive? At any rate, we will try to save the hose. I don't think either of us can replace the nozzle, the place where the split occurred. We do have another identical hose in the backyard. So, good for now, either way. 

Today, our only chore was to return two things--panties I bought 3 sizes too small, and a back brush. I did buy the correct size panties this time! Well, we did have another chore while out, but forgot it completely. So, it can be done when we are out tomorrow. 

Tommy stayed in the kitchen for a long time last night. Finally, he came in with a nasty gallon bag with rotting bacon, rotting I tell you. He found rotting salad. So, that went to garbage. I forgot what else he found, leftovers that were hidden. I just cannot bend so far for so long to find things. Besides, he shoves and shuffles things around. But, that is okay. 

Later, when I went into the kitchen and got something from the refrigerator, I was shocked. He had totally organized the refrigerator! I was so surprised. Good man! 

When we went out this morning, I commented that it smelled like something died outdoors. Looking around the porch, I could find nothing with my nose that might be the source of the stench. As he left to water, he said he supposed all the rotten food was now smelling. To high heaven, I would say. He took the garbage to the road before he watered, self-defense, I suppose since the flowers are near the garbage can. 

Last night, I could not go to sleep, so I sorted junk from Tommy's drawers in the bathroom. I have tossed things with expiration dates from 2002 to 2015. He won't miss a thing. I also piddled in the bedroom, sorting things of mine. I slept from about 6 am to 9:30 am and took a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. So, sleepy right now. 

I am in the mood for chicken, rice, soup, and broccoli casserole. I think I will add thinly sliced carrot coins and thinly sliced celery, maybe some pimiento. Tommy said it sounded good when I told him the first four ingredients. I thought of the rest as a delicious and healthy afterthought. 

Tonight, we are having leftovers--roast, salad, with green beans for me, and tomato. I think Tommy is making a salad with greens mix, tomato, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, zucchini and squash slices. 

6 comments:

  1. Any news from the housecleaner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,
      Not one word and no response. And, I still have not gotten to email.

      Delete
  2. I was thinking about you as I just took a pan of bacon out of the oven. Came out perfect this time LOL. Glad you got some good buys on your groceries. I an in good shape right now in the pantry and freezer. Your casserole sounds yummy! I do want to get over to the farmers market for some okra, squash and little new potatos.Hope to get that done this weekend.

    Have you heard from your cleaner yet? I hope she has been unable to get back to you for a good reason. She could be ill or had a family emergency. She sounds so good, I hope you don't lose her. Have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to bake another pound of bacon tomorrow. One of us will stand guard this time! New potatoes sounds like I want some of those, too.

      I, too, hope she has a good excuse. But, really, even a death would not stop someone from saying so. So, we will see. If I go with the company for which she works her other job, I may get someone who will not be so pricey and still do a good job.
      Thanks. I hope you have had a good evening.

      Delete
  3. I imagine snacks are plentiful in ads and sales because it is about back to school time!
    How nice of Tommy to have cleaned out and organized the refrigerator. That is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Yes, all part of the great back-to-school madness.

      Yes, I was pleased and surprised. I rarely go in the kitchen when he is in there since the cabinet stuff is under the table and creeping out. The missionaries and the cleaner seem to be on strike, so we can barely move in there! Since we mostly have leftovers, I let him fix his meal before I fix mine. That way, we are not having to wait around for the other person to move. His walker means no more room when the stuff in boxes is on the floor. All this explanation is to say why I was so surprised--just did not see what he was doing.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...