Thursday, September 22, 2022

Thursday Mail Bonanza




We went to The Pig to get our $0.98/24 bottles of water. Of course, I was going to have to think of what I wanted after we arrived, except for milk. There was a gallon of milk for $0.99 because the date was Sept 23. This is Tommy's milk. So, I got that reduced gallon and another at full price. Something I wanted but did not get other times was 100% black cherry juice. When I was ill, Tommy drank all of the last jug! I did not really mind. But, I only had about a half-cup or less serving. 

When the milk does go sour, I told him he could try it with chocolate milk. He said nothing. He may rebel when the moment comes to taste it...lol. I told him I left milk on the counter to make buttermilk and buttermilk did not kill anyone. Since he hates buttermilk, this reasoning probably left him cold.

Then, I remembered that chow I saw last week was over $5, so was left behind. This week, I found chow chow made from Vidalia onions. So, I will try this. Once, I ate so much chow chow and blackeyed peas that I had such an allergic reaction that my face swelled so I could not see my ears. And, my ears were swollen and sticking out. My nose and lips were freakish looking. So, I will eat this judiciously. Squash, Kool Aid, Concord mix for roasted potatoes rounded out my order. 

Since I have succulents here hardening off and ready to "plant," I cannot locate my potting mix for succulents, so I bought another small bag for cactus plants. I suppose it will work. Since I actually found a cart, I shopped...lol. Now, I have purple prince tulips and allium bulbs. I bought my third can of red spray paint for my wooden cardinals. It is going back, I think, before I try it. My concrete bunny planter has a new yellow pansy. I used a store card from previous returns and then Tommy's Lowe's card. It works for me. Now, I have planting ahead for October. 

When I passed the drink box, I was seized, seized, I tell you, with the notion of getting a Diet Mt. Dew! I never have this reaction in any other store even though I pass cases with bottles of Mt. Dew, frosty-cold and ready to drink. I have no idea why I do this in Lowe's. Anyway, Tommy and I drank it, mostly me. 

When he brought in our loot, he went to the mailbox and came in, saying the mailbox was stuffed! And, it was "and all for you", five packages. I started with the four small packages, not so exciting as there were four Covid tests. Then, I came to the goodie. 

T sent me a Barbie Doll. It has the high heels, and a thicker waist and long, lustrous, blond hair, and is dressed in a cute sundress. Her hair is silky, not hard like the original hair. I think I will make her a new dress, using scraps or fabric from another garment. While I am at it, I will make a pattern. This one will be stitched by hand. I am so tickled by this doll! Thank you. I looked at all the different dolls advertised on her box insert, some in wheelchairs, with prosthetic, and other different shapes from the tortured original. I still would like an original, so not saying she is not something I would like, but am thrilled to have a different type Barbie. Thank you, T.,  And, I still owe you that email from a month ago.

One thing I wonder--with so many body iterations, how will pattern manufacturers be successful in making patterns to sell for the correct body. She is #181. This is another thing I will have to research. I don't need a pattern, but some people might. The fabric of her dress is stretchy, so hard to get a pattern wrong. Plus, I am intrigued by the closure in the back--very soft Velcro. I will have to look for this new Velcro. 

When I handed Tommy the doll still in a plastic tray, he said, "My god, the neck!" He has heard from me and others the problems with bodies of Barbies and reality. Her cute pink sunglasses will come off, but I won't remove the glasses or leave her lying around naked like little girls do so often. 

It was 96F today, hotter than yesterday, but today I did not sit in the car with the windows down for over an hour, trying to hear a program. Today started cloudless and sunny, but by 3 pm a few clouds gathered, then it was cloudy and by 3:30 a spitting of rain. Now, at 5 pm, the sun is back out and the rays are beautiful. 

I really want planters for the succulents but will not buy a new planter. I am going to use some of the old plastic containers Tommy had and did not want that I saved for gardening. Since these cuttings are so tiny right now, I will plant more than one to a container and later put in larger containers. If I ever get to a thrift store, I know I can find succulent planters or something that is appropriate. This succulent thing is something I need to learn more about care and feeding. Not watering much is a rule that I do know. Just laying the leaf or cutting on top of the soil is another thing I know, but the rest is a mystery. I do hope at least one of these cuttings will result in a Christmas Cactus.

The new Hawaiian that was free with a coupon is not very good to me. Tommy likes it. I will eat it but intend to go right back to the bread I love when it is gone. Since I have too much bread and we don't eat much and have some in the freezer, we are going to give one loaf, free to us with a coupon, to a neighbor. 

Today, we were going to an appointment 100 miles away, but since I slept two hours, I had Tommy take my phone and cancel it. So, I suppose the two lovely nights of sleep were what I thought--a fluke. But those nights gave me hope. The appointment is rescheduled. 

Today was a great day! When I went outdoors to put bread on chair for friend to get, my hair was blown all around by a gentle breeze that was neither warm nor cool. My hair is finally getting long again after butchering it months ago. The blowing about gently was proof. 

Dinner was cube steak dredged in egg and flour with a choice of sweet potatoes, carrots, mashed potatoes, or a salad with tomato. Tommy said he had never had cube steak it like this, but just fried. If he had not seen the egg and flour and my working with it, he would not have believed it had eggs and flour on it before frying--Tbsp of oil in non-stick skillet. I doubt he knew what he ate in all these friends, relatives, and at eating establishments he said had never prepared it with eggs and flour. Tonight, he was standing in the kitchen watching as he microwaved the store sweet potatoes. I have eaten cube steak with gravy, on a bun like a burger, and mushroom gravy over cube steak. How do you eat cube steak?


30 comments:

  1. U have always dredged my cube steaks in flour before frying. Have never used eggs. They fry up so tender. Don't get very often, but I do like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I have done that, too. They are always good and tender. He says no flour was ever used, either.

      Delete
  2. The cooler temps here is making it more real living in a new state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhitter,
      I suppose all weather patterns will be new to you.

      Delete
  3. Our local library used one of their old card catalogs to plant succulents in the pulled out drawers. It is precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie,
      That is really a good idea. Lots of things will work, so why I won't buy specific planters for succulents unless at thrift or yard sale.

      Delete
  4. Dredged in a mixture of flour, pepper, and smoked paprika, dipped in egg, then dredged through the flour again, fried in butter, served with a peppery milk gravy made from the pan drippings and mashed potatoes. I don't make it often because it requires me to be at the stove the entire time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I thought I had more than four cube steaks. I was relieved because of stove time! I just cannot stand that long.

      Delete
  5. I never have eaten or made cube steak before. They sound like they would be good the way you make them. I will have to give them a try when I am in a cooking mood some time..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I bet you have eaten them but under a prepared name. They are delicious even with just flour. Or, you can use buttermilk instead of egg.

      Delete
  6. I've never had a cube steak, either. The sound good, and I'd eat one of yours in a hot second.
    Your new Barbie is totally adorable. I had one REAL Barbie and a knock-off Barbie.

    I think you should make her a new outfit every season and have a fashion show for us, styling her new clothes different ways. So get crackin', Linda--fashion waits for no one! As Tim Gunn says, "Make It Work!" LOLOLOLOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Tommy liked it and so did I. She is really a cutie. Maybe I will make her a Christmas outfit first. Or, a Halloween costume. Good idea.

      Delete
    2. And you can call it "Project Parsimony"!!

      Delete
  7. I've always done cube steaks in egg and flour, too. Now I'm hungry for chicken fried steak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I had not cooked cube steaks in 30 years. Now, I want them again...lol.

      Delete
  8. Yes here, I would call that a pan fried chicken fried steak. It would be served with black pepper (I know you don't like pepper) cream gravy. Just leave out the pepper and let Tommy add pepper if he likes it. Mashed potatos with gravy, my family always wanted green beans or corn. I prefer the corn as I think they go well with mashed potatos, some with gravy and some to mix with the mashed potatos. Yes! I may be weird.

    I also use cube steak to smother. Just a little oil, coat the meat in seasoned flour, fry to almost done. Add some beef broth, sliced onions and fresh sliced mushrooms, reduce heat to simmer. The flour on the meat will thicken the broth to a gravy.

    Last one, do the same thing but substitute some canned tomato sauce, some diced tomato, onions and green bell peppers. Cook on simmer until meat and veggies are tender. Serve over rice.

    I don't know what it is with cube steak these days. It was a cheaper option back in the day but now I can buy strip, tbones, ribeyes on sale for cheaper when they are on sale. They never put cube or round steak on sale. Makes no sense!! It used to be an affordable cut of beef but no longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      Yes, chicken fried steak. I cannot handle a lot of pepper, but black pepper in gravy is fine. Tommy won't any gravy, hates gravy, says he can feel the grease oozing out of the pores in his face and the rest of his body. He does not believe that gravy is sometime made without grease or very little. So, I just don't make gravy and expect him to eat any. Consequently, I rarely serve gravy.

      Onions and mushrooms make my mouth water right now. Tommy would love the tomato sauce and bell peppers.

      I never liked stead except for round steak. I have not checked the prices lately, but I am not surprised at all.

      Delete
    2. Lord , I think my husband would have divorced me if I could not have made gravy. When we first married I made mashed potatos but no gravy, he about had a heart attack and he was only 20. From then on if there was a so called gravy that went went with a dish, it was made. Funny enough my son if also a gravy addict. I won't lie I was raised on gravy, over biscuits,cornbread, toast, eggs, veggies and meat, I know how to make it! When you are in a family with lots of children gravy can stretch anything and make it filling and tasty.

      Delete
    3. Texas,
      Gravy means nothing to him. Anything in gravy has been ruined! We ate lots of gravy, too, over everything. Now, I want fried potatoes with gravy on them. But, I won't make that.

      Delete
    4. I LOVE a good gravy. Especially sawmill gravy over fresh, hot biscuits! Or homemade turkey gravy for Thanksgiving. My mom made the best gravy and us children would make mashed potato volcanoes with gravy running down the sides. Her gravy was so good we'd take bread and mop up our plates so as not to miss a single drop of that savory, salty goodness.

      My fam are perfect heathens and have no respect for my gravy. Fine, you animals--more for ME!!!

      Delete
    5. Sue,
      I love a good gravy, too. Yes, we got it all up and did not waste a bit of gravy. Tommy and I were talking about gravy again today. They were not a gravy family, it appears. Mama made wonderful gravy with lumps which we loved. I make good gravy, too. But, it has been forever since I made gravy.

      Things I love that Tommy won't eat just means more for me, too.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you like the Barbie! I tried to find one of the more traditional dolls available (although not the original, I know). I love all the different body types nowadays as I'm petite with glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      Yes, I do love it. Well, even though I was very slim and tall when Barbie came out, my body was nothing like hers. Of course, no one had a body like hers.

      Delete
  10. "I was seized" that made me smile/laugh out loud. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For Tommy don't call it gravy .....call it something like cream sauce or pan sauce. Tell him it is for dipping the meat or potatoes in. He may like it if you don't use the dreaded G word. (gravy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      That is a clever idea. However, he might look at it and think it looked too much like gravy...lol. He is a little boy like that, but that is okay.

      Delete
  12. What a sweet gesture, Enjoy your new Barbie.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...