Saturday, August 3, 2019

Saving Time, Money, and Effort | Sometimes Not

Upon thinking about making potato salad, I wondered if I could boil potatoes and eggs together. The potatoes are tiny new potatoes about the size of an egg. I put both in the same pot of cold water on medium setting on my electric range. When the time was up for the eggs, I dipped them out with a spoon. A fork told me when the potatoes were done.

Before starting this dish, I wondered if there was a reason not to put them in the same pan. It seems I am not the first to ask this question about cooking the two together. It's okay. Tommy said he thought it would be okay. But, he has never cooked.

I dice the onions and put them in the bowl in which I am preparing the potato salad. The hot potatoes go over this first because it sort of steams and softens the onions. I can do without the "bite" of raw onions. Next, I put in a dollop of Miracle Whip, bit of pickle relish, diced celery, tiny bit of salt, diced boiled eggs and I am set. These tiny potatoes will be smashed with the skins on. Tommy hates cold potatoes, eggs, and potato skins, so this is all mine.

You may remember that I will eat half-dead bananas. However, I draw the line at bruises, strings, or rotten bananas. Rotten bananas look perfect on the outside but have a black core that smells funny. No, I will not eat those. For the last two months, every banana has been defective. Sometimes, the blossom end is rotten for about an inch or two, the whole thing, not just the core. This may seem like a small thing, but my breakfast is ruined, mood spoiled, and money wasted.

I bought my car in September and used it until June 1 this year and had the oil changed. The oil was changed just before I bought it, so I am not lax about the upkeep. By the end of June, the reservoir for the wiper fluid gave me a "low fluid" warning. So, I took it back and questioned if the reservoir had been filled with the oil change. They filled it again. Now, it is the end of July and the warning light is on again.

Is it possible the reservoir sprung a leak after the 1st oil change? Obviously!  It is not cracked. This is a plastic reservoir, so there must be a way to fix the leak/hole. Has anyone ever faced this problem? Reservoirs are very expensive to replace. However, washing the window while driving in the rain is often a safety issue.  I really hate another problem to think about.

On the internet there are tutorials about doing it yourself. I won't be taking the reservoir off the car. it never seems to go empty, so I am hoping it holds a bit. I will give it sips of the wash instead of filling it up. I cannot even raise the hood, so the "I" who fills the reservoir will not be me.

When I told Tommy about the problem, he said he had the same problem once. It was not the reservoir, just the tube connected to the reservoir. So, there is hope. 

I have started a bag for paper for recycling. Plus, I am starting a bag for the free shredding this Fall. I actually have a bag for shredding all the time, but I am doubling down on my efforts. I refuse to pay for shredding again! 

Has anyone ever boiled potatoes and eggs together in the same pot?


7 comments:

  1. Yes! Whenever I make potato salad I boil the potatoes and eggs together - works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEfting,
      So, this was not a weird idea of mine. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I have never put egg in potato salad. I have made egg salad, potato salad and coleslaw, but never combined the two.
    I dislike bananas in any form. My family likes them, but I just can't bear them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg B.,
    Boiled and diced eggs are good in potato salad. That is how we make it in the South, especially for church dinners. I love having friends who don't like bananas. When people like bananas, they assume mine are for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I am about as Yankee as one can get, (born and raised in New England) I figured the egg in potato salad was a southern thing! I love southern cooking, but haven't mastered it.
      Raspberries are in season now. I may get another half flat and make some jam. (First flat was eaten/used in a pie.) The blackberries I will pick--they come in a few weeks. Then apples. My trees are on my old property, but the woman next door have over a dozen trees, several hanging over my fence. She said help yourself, and I may have to take her up on it.

      Delete
    2. Meg B,
      You are so lucky to have apples for free. I sought out free fruit and picked it years ago. Now, I cannot manage.

      Delete
  4. wash the eggs first with warm water, the concern would be salmonella from the unseen to the naked eye on the egg shell going into the potatoes. As long as you wash the eggs in warm water and make sure the water comes to a rolling boil (not a simmer) it will be fine. I do it myself.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...