Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Another Plumber Visit, a Death, and Other Things

Tuesday, the volume of water coming from the sink in kitchen and bathroom suddenly decreased. I told Tommy and he called the plumber back. I thought it was the aerator stopped up. Of course, it could have been a water leak. Anyway, it was both aerators failing at once. I could not unscrew them and Tommy didn't seem interested. So, over $200 later, we have two new aerators!

I finally got a lampshade for the lamp I brought to put next to the loveseat where I perch. Maybe I need a lampshade two inches longer. The harp shows. Maybe if I sit up, it will look better.

Speaking of lamps, when the light in the ceiling in his bedroom blew out shortly after I arrived here, he went into another room to get a lamp. It was one of my lamps! When I was recovering lampshades and selling them to antique shops, I had about 20+ extra lamps in the basement and sewing room. One day when he was at my house putting the mower back in the basement, he came in and asked me if he could have/borrow one of the lamps as his had died. He either took two lamps at once or took one, needed another and took a second one. Either way, I was shocked when he brought out 'my" two lamps. So, I am using a familiar lamp. It is not one I would choose to use, but it is not bad.

He is annoyed I bought Fire Ant Bait since everyone in this neighborhood has fire ants and cannot get rid of them since they just move elsewhere. Yes, they do since fire ant killer just kills the ones who get into it. Amdro Bait or another bait is made to be carried back to the nest, killing all the fire ants. Fire ants got on my leg up to my panties and up to my knee on the other leg. I jumped off the bank and into the ditch by the road and ran toward our house, screaming and crying. My little brother chased me down, grabbed me, got me down in the road and took his hands and scraped them off me. Fire ants bite down with mouth and sting with rear end. So, they don't just fall off. We had gone through the bushes to pick plums on our ten acres. I was the one of the four children who stood in a fire ant bed.

Now, I am terrified of any ant. Several years after this incident, Daddy told me to get in the kitchen and wash the dishes. There were dishes all over because Mama was ill. I protested because there were ants all over the dishes and counters. I cried and bawled and refused. Daddy was livid and threatened me. I told him there was nothing he could do to me that would make me get into the ants. My little brother, one year younger, came into the kitchen and killed every last ant for me. I was forever grateful. I am not afraid of snakes, but I am terrified of ants.

In a few minutes, I will be applying Amdro Bait to the yard, about two feet from the ant mound and all around it. There are about a dozen in the yard, but I will treat one today unless my back is not hurting me too much. Okay, I waited too late today.

It is only in the high 60s and maybe in 70s and the humidity is low. The skies are blue, so it is a good day....lol. When it was 62 degrees, the sun shone so hot on my bare arm that I had to use my cloth I got to cover my arms--the one that is satin-backed crepe. Shorts and tank top are still very appropriate for the weather now.

I finally asked him if I could use garbage bags in his kitchen garbage and he agreed. Before, I said there was not one waste paper basket in the house. Well, I just could not see them in the dark! He still uses a bag hung onto the living room door. Having a kitchen waste basket means I don't have to walk to the living room with trimmings from squash or sweet potatoes or tiny pieces of anything. The stack of lids and plastic containers is slowly disappearing. I wonder where?

There is another waste basket sitting on his little table in the kitchen. I have plans for it as he said "it is just sitting there" when I asked him if there was a reason it was on the table.

I hadto have the Burger King tater tots with cheese inside. But, a serving of four was $1. I loved them but will never purchase them again. Have you tried these?

Today, I heard the name of a long time friend. He was one of the victims of a triple shooting in Cullman. He was 75, former principal. Tragic and another friend gone too soon.

12 comments:

  1. I never heard of fireants. We have those little ants that eat Toro and it kills them. This year for the first time there were no ants maybe because it was so wet with record rainfall. Why aren't you getting the Burger King tater tots again? I have never had them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann,
    You must not live in the US or Brazil, their origin. The tater tots are too expensive. I think they were first advertised this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate fire ants and battle them all summer and fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Use a bait. Sprinkle around the mound, about two feet. This will kill that mound. If you put fire ant killer on the mound, they take the queen and run to a new location.

      Delete
  4. Yep that's how you kill fire ants. We had several mounds at the old place. Spent a small fortune to cover 2 acres but well worth it. I walk here daily to make sure we don't start getting them here.

    Hope you and Tommy are both feeling well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I will have trouble getting one mound done! Two acres would kill me. Both of us are doing okay at this time. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Amdro really does work if you use it the way you said, surround the hill with it and they will carry it into the next and it kills the queen.

    Pardon my forwardness, but are you just naturally frugal or does your current means make it necessary? Mrs. RWP and I both get Social Security, but I also receive a small pension from my former employer and she does also. It's not a lot overall but we manage to keep the wolf from the door by (to quote my dad) using our heads for something besides keeping out ears apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhymes,
      My current means makes it necessary, but I have always been frugal.

      Delete
  6. I live in northern Wisconsin but don't know abt fireants. Maybe we just dont have them in our area or something. My husband tells me when they used to pick wild blueberries in the woods there were ants that bit them. Maybe they were fireants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      They are not up North, YET. They came from Brazil to Mobile, AL in 1940. They can live in colder climates than first thought. Fire ants like to cover you before they start biting. Hundreds reached the top of my leg before they bit/stung me. They are in the South only, so far, except for those in CA.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry to hear/read a bout your friend's untimely death. I have some type of large red ants in my garden, but, I don't know if they are fire ants or not. My daughter once picked up an orange that had fallen from the tree and was full of ants; she was about 2 or 3 at the time, and didn't know what to do about the ants that were crawling all over her! Fortunately, they were regular black ants and she wasn't bitten, but, she has hated ants, ever since!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The large red ants are not fire ants. Your daughter was so young and vulnerable. If those ants had been fire ants, they could have killed her. They have been known to kill small animals and children. She has my sympathy and I understand!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...