Thursday, October 24, 2019

Peace and free Thursday Dinner

Of course, I had to stay ahead of Tommy. I carried the Atkins bars, opened one and asked him if he wanted half. Yes, he did. Good, protein while he was driving. We had homemade BLT for lunch and I was afraid he did not have enough protein to keep his blood sugar up with the carbs in the bread. I also carried pb crackers, water, and oj.

I had things to do in Cullman and there was a free dinner. This was one of the best dinners they have served. Each month, a different church is in charge of the menu. Some are not very good. Thursday night's meal was spectacular, so delicious. We had chopped barbequed pork on a bun, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, baked beans and banana pudding. We filled out our order and the women who are overcoming drug problems got them from the serving table. I told Tommy to order all and I would, too.

He hates potato salad, I hate baked beans. So, we scraped food onto each other's plates. When I had finished two-thirds of my sandwich, I offered him the rest. He took it eagerly and ate it. He will not eat bananas, so he ate all but the pudding and cookies. I ate my bananas and his, trying to avoid the cookies and pudding...lol.

Belk's was on the list of places to go. I returned a purse. And, I found a pair of earrings for 50% off and another 25% off the balance. Now, I have a silver pair and a gold pair.


I had no mail in my PO Box. But, I grabbed a bunch of coupons from a table in the lobby.

My lot is still there and so is my swing frame and my picnic table. It felt good to be home.

Tommy ate half the Atkins bar on the way up, and the pack or pb crackers while we were there. When I gave him my bbq sandwich, I was trying to make sure he had protein after the pudding. I talk to him, asking open-ended questions so I could keep track of his ability to talk sensibly. I did not talk nonstop! Thankfully, he was okay up and back.

The other day, I bought jump rings to convert the earrings, the skeleton hands. So, I cannot find the earrings. Well, since I have a lamp on my side of the rooms, tomorrow I can convert both to clip on.

My friend's funeral is Saturday at some church out in the country. I want to go; I need to go. However, the weather might not cooperate, making driving unsafe. Tommy will not go even if I drive his vehicle or mine. I am torn as to what to do.

I bought two bottles of Kraft salad dressing bogo at Publix. Oh, I also bought a small, one-serving bottle of Publix chocolate milk, drank half and left the rest for him. Yes, it has sugar but protein, also. He drank this about two hours before the dinner.

10 comments:

  1. It's a lot of work to keep up with Tommy's special diet requirements. It's nice you can share food at the free dinners. Hope you can get to the funeral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      It IS a lot of work. I will only go home to a free meal if there are other things to do in town. It is looking more iffy all the time. But, I hope so too. It is soooo rainy, 100% today and 90% on Saturday.

      Delete
  2. Tommy is very fortunate to have you looking out for his welfare. I don't suppose he would ever say so.

    When you refer to going to Cullman as "on the way up" it makes me wonder where you are. Hanceville? Blount Springs? Corner? Hayden? Dora? You don't have to answer; it just makes me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      No, he would never admit it. However, he does thank me for meals I prepare. He would never admit all the food I carry for the car trips, even around Birmingham. I know he knows I bring it for him, but as long as he never admits it, it is okay for him to eat it...lol.

      Delete
  3. I know when Mother was trying to stay on top of Pop's diabetes she said it was worse than trying to get a 2 yr old to sit still. She gained 20 lbs "sharing" snacks to get him to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      She nailed it! That is what I was worrying about--gaining weight. I have found that if I eat or drink part of something and complain I am too full, he will finish it off the "help" me. He knows the gastroparesis causes me to be too full too soon. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  4. You two complimented each other by sharing the food at the church dinner. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Thank you. That is a sweet compliment. We complement each other like this many times.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...