Monday, October 7, 2019

Progress

I am writing this at 10 am on Monday.

Tommy told me he had a doctor's appointment today, a regular one every six months for last ten years. I would have gone with him "just for the ride." But, my hair is in no condition to leave the house. Besides, I am still ill, have vertigo, and cannot take it.

I asked him if he wanted me to make him a pb sandwich. He deliberately acted like I was stupid and said, "Why?" I reminded him his diabetes was not under control and he could not depend on how he felt or thought. And, that I did not want to see him get hurt of kill people.

Last night, I did not sleep a wink. I was worried and felt terrible. I heard him up about 6:30 and came in living room to watch tv and wait for him. I asked him again if he wanted me to make a pb sandwich. Did he want to carry oj? Well, that got him. I reminded him that the oj would raise his blood sugar but that the blood sugar would plummet without some protein. He looked interested and said, I will take one of those Atkins bars. I got both for him. He likes the Chocolate Chip Granola Bar. It is the only one I have bought because I know what he likes.

He had told me it was a short visit, just tests, and he would be home before lunch. I reminded him there are accidents, it is raining, and he might be delayed. That is when he asked for the Atkins bar.

So, I am counting this as progress!

Just now, as I typed, I ate one, too. I must find something cheaper for me to sit and eat.

I had a friend that was an alcoholic. NEVER a boyfriend! I told him one day that he was an alcoholic after discussing his drinking for about six months. He yelled and screamed at me and hung up. It only took about ten years for him to check himself in to a place to dry out. Yes, I discussed his drinking and driving every day. Persistence paid off. I was not mean, just reminded him that his wrecks were because of alcohol.

There are only a few instances where I am persistent about another's problem...well, not ten year's worth of talking about it.

Tommy came home about ten minutes after I went back to bed. We went out eventually to buy groceries since he needed milk. Since I only slept about 3.5 hours, I am still beat. I cooked all the squash. None had started to rot, thankfully. We had chicken, squash, and sliced tomatoes. Since pints of ice cream were $1, we are going to have ice cream when I get off the laptop.

I need to put color on my hair to go somewhere tomorrow.

Have you ever cooked squash in a pressure canner? It appeared to not be done, but the slices were still intact and the squash was cooked. `

6 comments:

  1. Just hearing or reading the words "pressure cooker" are enough to scare me. I always expected the one in my parents' house to explode every time it was used. It never did.

    Your life sounds a little like living in a pressure cooker. Just remember to let off steam every so often.

    I'm glad Tommy made it there and back again (like Bilbo Baggins).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in my mid thirties, my mother gave me a pressure canner. I did not use it for years because I was so fearful it would explode. An 18-yr-old taught me how to use it. I would not even come in the kitchen, just hid around the corner. Now, I do not fear it. I think I must have heard my great aunts and aunts talk about the older days when they really did explode.

      Thanks, I try.

      He only drank the oj! I am glad he did not drive his blood sugar up so that it plummeted.

      Delete
  2. My mother in law does squash that way. I have another friend that grills his whole and then takes off the skin and freezes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      It was still intact, unlike putting it in a pot. I have had grilled squash, but not grill, skinned, and frozen.

      Delete
  3. squash in a pressure cooker doesn't sound good.
    I would take the PB sandwich - I haven't had one in ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Really? It was intact, not mush, but very done.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...