Wednesday, November 27, 2019

OH SNAP!

While I was making my Jello yesterday, I forgot how much water I had added. Did I only put in the two cups of hot water? Or, had I used the two cups of hot water and the two cups of cold water? If I had added both hot and cold and added cold again, I would have sloppy, half-firm Jello. If I had not added cold water and did not add it, I would have very firm! Jello. So, I had a decision to make. I ended up not adding more cold water. Consequently, I have very firm Jello.

Then, I was making Jello for Tommy. He hates bananas; I love bananas. Since I put five bananas in mine. I made one package for him, two for me because I like it more. I put in two cans of mixed fruit in his, one can of fruit cocktail in mine. Remember, I have lots of banana in mine.

I bought Red Delicious apples to peel and chop into the Jello salads. But, do you think I could find them? Noooo! Of course, when I had both made and set, I found the apples...sigh.

While I was looking in the car for apples, I found the sweater Tommy said he did not take with us yesterday. He refuses to plan for the weather getting cooler and maybe having wreck and having to stand out in the cold. He does carry small blankets. When I came inside, I asked him why he had a checkered shirt on the back floorboard, he questioned me about the color. He explained that after he showered yesterday, he put his dirty underwear in the bag under his rollator seat, forgot to take them out when he got to his dirty clothes. So, he found them while getting out at the church and using his rollator. He just threw them on the back floor of the car. Well, maybe you don't think so, but I thought that was funny.

Progress report:
I need to put hen in oven and bake pumpkin pies. Okay, I just put six chicken drumsticks in the oven. The hen will go in tomorrow morning. It will soon be so late that Tommy cannot see to get meat off bones of hen. He can eat chicken and drumsticks and sliced apple for dinner. Okay, he had drumsticks, applesauce, and English peas. And, I slept five hours. I got up after two hours and within ten minutes I went bck for another three hours. So, the hen will go into the oven early Thanksgiving morning. I am not worried since I do have things done and it all won't be left for Tday.

Thanksgiving Day--bake hen and make pumpkin pies. tada...feels good.

I never make deep dish pies, so both these will be regular pies. Pumpkin pies were always in a regular crust at home. Two crust pies were deep dish pies. Do you make thick or thin pumpkin pies?

Have you had any "mishaps" so far like my Jello problems?

12 comments:

  1. I make thin crust pumpkin pies. My daughter made her first pumpkin pie last year at Thanksgiving. She used a store bought crust that comes in two flat crusts. She used the one crust for the bottom,and put the other crust on the top. She said she had made an apple pie that gets a crust on top right before that, and then without giving it any thought, put a crust on the top of the pumpkin pie, too. It turned out to be very tasty. My son in law, who makes the turkey part of the meal, with brining and everything else, teased her all day about her pumpkin pie with the top crust, but I really liked that pie.
    When I make recipes, even Jello, I have to read the measurements and ingredients and set them all out on the table before I even start, or there is a chance I will forget something. A few years ago, I was up late on Christmas eve making my egg, cheese, sausage casserole. I had it all poured in the casserole dish and set it in the refrigerator for baking the next morning. Luckily, I saw it in the refrigerator right before I went to bed for the night and it was looking really milky, pale, and not full enough. It then dawned on me that I had forgotten to put the beaten eggs into it. So I was up a bit later getting those eggs in there. Thank goodness I didn't put in the oven without the main ingredient in it.

    Have a cozy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      I was wondering about the two-crust pumpkin pie! But, a;; was well. The Christmas casserole would not have fared as well. It sounds good.

      I do put ingredients out to my right, use them and move them to the left so I will get everything in the recipe. But, water? Who knew I could get that wrong. But, the thick and chewy Jello will be like Jello Jigglers, I suppose. Thanks for the stories.

      Delete
  2. the jello reminds me of me. LOL. My mom would make jello with all the fruit in it (yuck!) and then make me separate, plain jello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One,
    That's what mothers do==accommodate...lol. And, I know there is no way that Tommy will put banana in his mouth. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought my pumpkin pie at Costco. They look pretty good and at least I know it will be edible

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both kinds of pumpkin pie and will eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I will have these done this afternoon. But, I know what I will eat tomorrow for all three meals tomorrow. What am I thinking? I will eat it nonstop. Usually, I lose weight at Thanksgiving because I eat pie, even the day before if it is baked.

      Delete
  6. I am thankful for knowing you
    I have a sudden memory of a childhood treat reading this: banana slices and strawberries in red jello ! Yum !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Thanks. Thankful I reminded you of fruit in red jello.

      Delete
  7. When my oldest was a baby (over 30 years ago) he had been vomiting, not eating, coming out both ends and not drinking and I was worried about him. When he started to feel a little better the nurse told me to make very weak jello up in his bottle and get him to drink that. Poor bugger, I didn't realize I shouldn't have put it in the fridge!!! He almost sucked his eyeballs out trying to get it out of the bottle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I am so sorry, but I laughed loud and long. Yes, poor baby. The oldest child is such a learning experience. Good one! Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...