Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Why I am Thankful

As I watched the news tonight, I was thankful that I do not live in snow and ice country. My one trip to New York when we were in a seven car wreck, cured me from traveling anywhere there is snow in the winter. Then, I saw fires and earthquakes and was so grateful I am not in country where fires are common. Plus, I am thankful we got to Cullman and back safely.

We went to Cullman for Thanksgiving lunch at the church that has music during lunch. It was delicious. I got one to-go plate and thought we would share it. Well, they gave me three times the dressing and turkey I got on my place, lots of sweet potatoes and green beans. One roll was soggy and flat when I ate it, but it was still delicious. It has been great having a day since I did not have to cook anything. Tommy got us a sausage and biscuit on the way up.

We stopped at PO to get my mail. Then, in Hobby Lobby, I got the little rings I needed to connect earrings to clip on part. I wore them. I sat and used a shoebox lid to hold all while I worked. Of course, we sat in my driveway for a bit. I got a refund on things at Belk's and got gifts for kids and grandkids--cheaper and nicer than Walmart! Then, I spent an inordinate amount of time at Office Depot trying to get my Practical Parsimony blog working! We bought some food at the grocery where I won $100 grocery certificate last year. Maybe we will win again. If Tommy wins, he will probably spend it all on chips and snacky foods.

That was my day. He was pleasant and did not have a low blood sugar episode.

Cooking schedule:
Monday
Jello with fruit cocktail and bananas. I thought I had apples.
I made the green bean casserole and put it in a casserole ready to cook. I will add rest of onions as it is in last few minutes in the oven.

Tuesday
Bake at least a dozen sweet potatoes, maybe more. I like sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving, not sweet potato casserole. I do eat it at other's house and love it. Next week, I will make it.
Make Stovetop Stuffing. I do not have iron skillet to make the cornbread, cannot lift an iron skillet, and I am tired already. So there!

Wednesday
Make 2 pumpkin pies in bought crusts. I just hope Tommy gets some on Thanksgiving before it eat it all. He has been warned.
Bake the hen and have Tommy take it off the bone. I hate doing that part.

Thursday
Open cranberry sauce and heat dinner. EAT.

Actually, I am going to try and find a tablecloth around here or a cheap one from Thrift store. I might make one. I would like a centerpiece. Maybe. I should have gotten pine cones from my yard.
What are you thankful for other than family and all the ordinary stuff people list. Surprise me.

30 comments:

  1. OK. Here is a surprise. I am thankful I finally found thin, quick drying (and not micro fiber stick-to-your hands) wash clothes for dishes (at Kohls). I looked even at Dollar Tree and they have that plastic scrape stuff on them for food to get caught in. Who thought thinner dish rags would be so hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Good one! I looked at dishcloths and saw that mesh and thought immediately that food would be trapped. I doubted that even the washing machine would get the food out, especially once it dried.

      One time, I bought the $0.47 cent washcloths at WM to get thin ones that would dry quickly.

      It is serious business trying to find simple products that do the job. If ever I am in a Kohl's, I will look those up if I can remember.

      Delete
  2. I like thin dish cloths, too. I'm using ones I have had for several years and they're wearing out. I like thin dish cloths, thin wash cloths, and thin and not giant sized bath towels. I have such trouble finding those items now. Everything is such thick cloth now and regular bath towels are huge and thick. My husband and I each have our own towels and I don't see anything wrong with hanging our towels to dry after we use them to dry our clean bodies with at least two times, or maybe even three, if they still smell fresh, but that is only possible with my old thin towels. The big thick towels they have now don't dry by hanging over the shower rod in front of the furnace/ac vent, they stay damp and get stale.

    I use wash cloths on my body,and the only ones I have left now are heavy thick terry cloth. Have to go in the washer and dryer after each use because they don't hang dry but get stale.

    I have bought 2 packs of thin little cotton old fashioned white, embroidered handkerchiefs to wash my face with,and I use a fresh one every day, and wash the ones I used once a week. My skin has improved by stopping the use of those thick, rough wash cloths.

    You have made me hungry for pumpkin pie. I like the ones made directly from the recipe on the Libby's pumpkin can. That's the recipe my mom always used. I'm not a fan of super spicy with cloves pumpkin pie, but that seems to be the thing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      Super thick wash cloths and towels do not dry, as you said. I have hung towels to dry and used them again. The towel I use on my hair gets washed after four or more hair-washing. I get a towel stained, so I have only one to use for my hair.

      Where on earth do you find old-fashioned, embroidered handkerchiefs?

      Mama used 1/4 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup light brown sugar. I use dark brown sugar. Otherwise, it is same as Libby recipe. I thought I remembered the recipe, but the libby recipe clicked and I was correct.

      Delete
    2. I found the handkerchiefs on amazon by searching for women's cotton handkerchiefs. For the wash I put them in their own little mesh wash bag.

      Delete
    3. Susie,
      Thanks. I love mesh bags for washing things.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you have your Thanksgiving plans set. I do love the canned cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thankful that I don't have to cook/host Thanksgiving this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      I wish I did not! Of course, it is not extravagant.

      Delete
  5. I don't like thick bath towels either. When I needed a few new bath towels I ended up looking at the thrift store. I found a few used ones from back when they didn't make them so plushy. They work nice and just happened to be blue strip so sort of match the rest of my bathroom (blue shades).


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never found towels in a thrift store. Yard sales are my source.

      Delete
  6. Thankful for knowing people I care about are all safe in this crappy weather and I can work form home today. Loads of other things to be thankful for but those top my list this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, I read your post. Being safe is always good. Snow scares me, well, to drive in it.

      Delete
  7. During colder weather, when I shower, I put my towel on the heat vent. It's nice and toasty when I get out of the shower. I'm thankful for that!

    I crocheted a dish cloth last week, and I am thankful for friends who inspire me to be at least sort of crafty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      A towel on the heat vent sounds great. I have never crocheted a dish cloth. Does food get stuck in them?

      Delete
    2. I have never had any issue with food getting stuck it. I was given one as a gift several years ago and it was just lovely. I used it until an unfortunate incident with a knife and it started unraveling with each use.

      Delete
    3. Alice,
      Sorry to hear of the demise of your dishcloth. Next time, take it to sewing machine and sew round and round the injured part. Don't you just love advice too late?

      Delete
    4. I appreciate your generosity in thinking I could use a sewing machine. :)

      Delete
  8. On the thin towel topic, I like thin wash cloths because they will go in my ears better as well as the other reasons mentioned. Ditto for the dish cloths. I have bought towels, etc. at Dollar General hoping they would be smaller and thinner. They might be somewhat smaller, but not much. I wish manufacturers would get on to the fact that not everyone likes big, fluffy towels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      Washing ears with a huge thick wash cloth is futile. I don't mind fluffy towels to dry myself. What I mind is that they take forever to dry on the line, in the dryer, and on a towel rack. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. This year I'm thankful that my brother in law and his family made it out of a house fire in October.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thankful for indoor plumbing including flush toilets and hot and cold running water becuase I grew up without them. I'm thankful we no longer live in a state that had 30 below zero temperatures and icicles that went from the roof to the ground. I'm thankful for a refrigerator with food in it and a car that runs. I'm thankful that my children and grandchildren are in church and not in jail. I'm hopeful that the discussion on thin dishcloths has ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      Until I was seven I grew up the same way. But, I have always lived in the deep South. None of my children or grandchildren were ever in jail, thankfully. No, we have continued the thin dishcloth discussion without you..lol.

      Delete
  11. I am Thankful for my wonderful kids and family. Good food, a home, my health for what it is..... Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. good for you to focus on being thankful
    I've said it before: I am thankful for knowing you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      And I am grateful for know you, especially since you write prescriptions...lol.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...