Monday, December 30, 2019

Monday Chores

During the weekend we talked about going to Cullman this week. This morning, Tommy said we should go today, Monday, or Tuesday which happens to be NYE, Since I want to be home and not on the interstate on NYE, I said we should go today.

He asked me if I could be ready in an hour. At 8:03 we were in the car. The day was beautiful, cloudy when we started but a brilliant blue sky with little whispers of clouds by the time we arrived. Traffic was normal on the trip north, but unusually heavy on the way home.

Before we left, he said he needed to get his license renewed Monday or Tuesday and thought it would be easier at my courthouse. There is a room where there are seats and more places to sit in the central hall of the courthouse. In Birmingham there is a line standing in the hall with fifty people in the line, especially this late in the month. There were two or three ahead of us and we could both sit. More importantly, there is a ramp. In Birmingham, there are two sets of steps to get to the long line. We got that chore out of the way first thing. As we left the courthouse, hoards were coming in the doors to get their DL.

When we went to my house, the whole end of the driveway was dug up from the road to the property line and filled with red mud, muddy mud. I called my go-to guy and told him I had had the sewer dug up before and only a line where the drain was had been disturbed and there was gravel put in the dug place. He called and for some reason, the city had dug up and capped off the sewer. He explained why, but it made no sense, so I just thanked him. Oh, they will put gravel on today or tomorrow. I assured him there was no hurry.

I attempted to return something to Belk's but there was a glitch. Tommy had tried on the Gold Toe socks and they were too long for his taste. He wants socks that hit about five inches above the ankle bone. Good grief! I forgot to take them back. Hopefully, they have shorter ones. The ones I got him were about six inches below his knee and too long for his taste.


There was a package for me at the PO. It seems that the free garden supply time is upon us, so that seniors in the program can grow vegetables. I have not looked over the stuff I have to do. I get $40 for giving them a stool sample, fingernail clippings. I let them weigh me and fill out a questionnaire. This way, I can at least get some of my gardening things replaced. Now, I just have to haunt yard sales to try and find chairs and stuff for outdoors.

When we got back to Hueytown, I came in and took the Apple Blossom Amaryllis back to Lowe's. If you are not familiar with them, they are a lily, sold with a disc of dirt to rehydrate and a pot. They are a beautiful pink blossom on very long stems. Well, when I brought mine home, one blossom and stem was attached, growing prematurely. The usually green stem and pink flower were a ghostly white. I cut off the stem with blossom and tried to grow it anyway. Well, the only other stem evident grew about 2 inches and just stopped. So, I got $12 put back on Tommy's Lowe's card.

We got Tommy's mail and there was a package for me. I ordered a red nylon coat just liked I had and lost. YAY! It is way too small, size-wise, but sort of fits. I feel like I look nice in it, anyway. Tommy has seen my old coat and thought this looked nice on me. It was only $14. !!!

Tommy and I have been talking about rainwear for him. He was adamant that he hated ponchos and was not going to wear one. Well, as it turns out, he has an Auburn poncho and wore it working at Sam's gas station and hated it. Sooo, he is just stubborn. I reasoned with him about not being soaked using his rollator. Now, he tells me he got this in the 70s when he attended Auburn. He went to closets, trying to find it. We will find that. I really cannot understand why he is so evasive when he needs to stay dry. It is not like I am trying to get him to wear it and suffocate and sweat, the reason he hates to wear a poncho.

I cannot find Christmas cards on sale. They must have all sold the day after Christmas. I will find them in the next few days.

I stopped in and shopped in Cullman--black-eyed peas 1lb @ $1. So, I am ready. I bought more, but that is for another day.

Two potatoes are baking in the oven. Tommy will have turkey, potato and tomato tonight. The potatoes will be done in ten minutes, so I have to go. Then, it is back to ebay for me. I just googled the brand and color coat I wanted and it popped up.

What do you have planned for NYE or NYD? My plan--black-eyed peas and staying home.


















8 comments:

  1. I do love Amaryllis, and try to get them at Walmart on discount towards the end of summer. Some years I make out like a bandit, and other years not so much.

    Our NYE will be mostly spent at home, with an invitation to go across the street to a neighborhood get together. We might go for a bit to watch the fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Do you grow them indoors for Christmas? Going across the street would be as far as I would travel...lol.

      Delete
  2. I'll be working, but I think remotely. I may be driving my daughter cross the metro to a NYE party, then picking her back up because I do not want her driving as she is not used to driving in the west metro and I'd rather make sure she is safe. My husband is still fatigued, though working, so we will have dinner with family, but he will then be home early. We need to save our energy for the big Minnesota bowl game on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      I would drive her, too. Your husband has been ill so long! I am not sure what Tommy will watch on NYE, so it may be a planned nap for me.

      Delete
  3. I found Christmas cards at 50% off a few days before Christmas but had to look a few places. I think less people are sending them. I know I cut my list way down. Staying home for New Years Eve. Maybe watch the Times Square ball drop on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann,
    I suppose I should have shopped for cards before Christmas. I do know we will watch TV for the ball drop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are having a older couple over for games and I think we will just rest NY day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kim,
      Playing games on NYE sounds like fun. I wish Tommy liked to play games with me. He does it at game night at church, though. Staying in is at the top of our plans.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...