Monday, December 16, 2019

This and that

I write this as I watch The Great American Light Fight because I love Christmas lights. One year, I entered the Christmas light and decorating in the town where we lived. I spent hours making elves, sewing and stuffing them and covering my son's swing set with foil, put up lights. The man who won had money and put the backside of Santa sticking out an upstairs window. So many people in town were upset I had not won. I was very disappointed with the unfairness of it all. However, I was greeted by practically everyone in town who told me how good mine was, and that I should have won.

Last week, I had to buy a set of cheap plastic measuring cups after I had bought a two-cup glass measuring cups. Do you know how difficult it is to measure 1/4 cup in a two-cup measure?

When I went to stores looking for None Such mincemeat, no one had it. Last year, I found it at Publix, but this year they said they were not going to carry it anymore. Well, I went in after Thanksgiving and accidentally found the boxes, AND on sale. Usually, the box is almost $5. It was on sale 2 for $6. YAY! Tommy cannot wait to eat mincemeat pit. I can eat pie without the crust. But, Tommy has to have the crust.

After staying in bed for almost all of three days, and Tommy wondering aloud why I am so sick and why I cannot hear, he finally bought 3 filters for his furnace. Do you think he can install them in a timely manner? No! So, I may start getting ill again.

Today, it was 72F. At 5 pm it was 70F in the house. HE thought it was stuffy, so he turned the thermostat to cool and 67F and cooled the place. Since he had the heat on 64F all day, no air was blowing all day. At least my two-hour nap was pleasant. We are paying for the nice weather in the state with predicted tornadoes. At this point, there is no rain or bad weather where I am now. However, the radar shows the storms coming closer. How is it at your house? Storms?

I have two cards to mail to my kids, one card for overseas, and one gift to wrap and mail. I have been feeling so ill that standing in line at the PO is not something I am looking forward to doing. But, tomorrow I will even though rain is predicted all day. There was not one drop of rain today, but he insisted it was going to rain, so we got nothing done.

Today, I watched The Age of Innocence, the original and the remake. I had read the book years ago, studied it at UAB, and saw the remake when it came out. So, I was very happy for a few hours. The original was not as good as the remake. That is highly unusual.

The 15 lb turkey is waiting for Tuesday night to go in the oven. I told Tommy he would have to help me since I cannot put it in the oven. That should be fun...lol. NOT But, I can freeze most of it and have the next Turkey ready/thawed to put it in the oven. I am glad I figured out that the oven heats 50F over where it is set. All the baking bags were bursting for the first time ever. The sweet potatoes really burned when the insides melted a bit and ran out. Since I oil the sweet potatoes, all the oil was burning. I thought I was leaving things in too long. It took me too long to realize it was the heat being wrong. I wrongly blamed it on me.

The last time we went to the store, I bought a string of 100 lights. I was going to put it around the kitchen window. Since Tommy has no outlets outside, I cannot put it outside. So, when we go into the kitchen, we will be greeted by Christmas lights in the window. At home I had lights around my picture window. AND, I had a small leg lamp, bought for $1 and never used. It was about 18" tall if I remember correctly.

His dinner--baked potato, two deli chicken legs I had frozen, Romaine and tomato salad.

Do you enjoy the Christmas lights?

I don't know why, but you will have to scroll down a mile to see comments.







































































































































































4 comments:

  1. We want to drive thru a park where there are lights on the trees. I like to see some of the houses at Christmas too. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann,
    We need to do a drive-thru, but they seems so expensive. I have not seen a good display yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I use cooking bags, I make 2 little slits on top and when I fasten the tab closed, I leave a little opening about as big around as the tip of my little finger. I also put a couple of tablespoons of flour in the bag. That must really be something to have one burst. I burst a big russet potato in the oven one time (I think because it had a big rotten hollow spot in the center) Sheesh what a mess that was.

    The oven in our house is a slow cooking oven. It was in our house when we moved in more than 40 years ago.. The stove is a Kenmore gas stove from 1956. No electronic ignitions,but standing pilot lights on stove top and an oven that has to have the pilot light lit by a match. When the power goes off, we can still have hot food and drink. I've been cooking on it since I was 25 years old and I'm almost 66 now. I know the hot spots in that old oven, and that it cooks at a little bit lower temp than shows on the dial, and where to adjust the shelves for which foods. I really like my old stove. I hope I never have to get a new one.

    When we lived in an apartment when first married, we had an electric stove. It was pink, so was the dishwasher, and the refrigerator.They were original to the apartment that was circa 1950's. It looked like a Barbie kitchen. I hadn't learned to cook yet anyway, but those electric burners burned everything in a minute if I didn't keep a close eye on them, and the oven cooked everything so fast. I didn't know about cooking bags at that time, or they hadn't yet been invented, or I would have had exploding oven bags, too. I really like those cooking bags. I love the way everything turns out nice and moist and very easy cleanup.

    In our neighborhood many people have the gigantic blow up decorations, which look odd in our tiny front yards, but I suppose little kids enjoy them. Some people have the lights that are projected onto the houses with patterns that swirl around. Those make me woozy. I just like the old fashioned lights and a pretty wreath on the door. Christmas is really coming up fast now, isn't it. We have 5 inches of snow on the ground right now and I'm not a snow person.It looks pretty unless we have to go somewhere in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow the directions on the cooking bags--six slits and two tbsp. of flour. The problem was the stove temp, not my technique. It has been so long since I cooked with gas, almost 50 years. Has, I would have liked a pink kitchen. No snow, just stuffy in this dirty house. I like to look at a bit of snow, just not get out in it.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...