Tuesday, January 28, 2020

$3400 later

His car is fixed, new axle, tires rotated, and something done to front brakes. Tommy has been driving with an axle that needed replacing--$3400. He berates me for telling "that noise" needs to be checked. I wonder how it would have felt for it to completely ++fail?

I got an estimate from the same place, Pep Boys, for two hvac door actuator for over $1600. This thing is the door that opens and closes when you change from ac to heat. Today, on the way to Cullman, Tommy was freezing and I was feeling heat. As it turns out, the door was stuck/broken closed. So, we had to turn his side off completely and close the vents. He was only getting frigid air.That plus the loud rat-a-tat-tat is enough to drive a person batty. As it turns out, this is a problem will al Impalas. Well, they are making no more Impalas, I hear. I did not know this car has dual controls, one for each side of the car.

Before we left home this morning, I scrambled four eggs for Tommy and me. He was a pain and refused to eat any. He eats them anywhere except when I make them. So, I ate all four eggs. Again! I have to quit that. However, the amount of protein I had kept me full and until lunch. I usually do not need to eat until around 1 pm after I eat 2 eggs.

We went to the free lunch and had turkey soup, cornbread muffins, pickle, unsweetened tea, and dessert. There were peas in the soup, so I ate none of the soup, just picked out the bit of turkey. It's good I had the eggs! I did not eat cornbread muffins or the pickle. Tommy ate my bowl of soup, only leaving some of the broth.

We got my mail, visited the bursar at the hospital. It turns out that the reason I was turned over to collections is that Medicare rejected a test I had done. I had to call Medicare for another rejected charge. I have no idea why this is happening over and over. It is stressful when I have no idea what I owe and why. I had a few other things to do. We went to the store out in the country owned by the Mennonites I got a couple of pieces of candy and looked around.

Over under a tree are two picnic tables near the Mennonite store and right near a fence. We were surprised to see a cow lying right next to the fence. We drove over near the picnic table on the way out. Over beyond the cow was a goat lying in the grass. I wondered if the cow was waiting on people with their lunches. And, was the goat and cow friends. There are many goats and cows in the field. The weather was perfect with few skies in a lovely blue sky, 62 degrees by noon.

As soon as we arrived home, the shop called and we had to go right back out to get the car. Tommy had undressed. and was not eager to go out. I did not want to get out early! I had put potatoes in the oven, so it all worked out well.

I used one dish for dinner where I cooked the beef patties last night. So, dishwashing will be easy, thankfully.

Tomorrow, I will make potato soup. Tommy has consented to peel potatoes. YAY!

14 comments:

  1. You really must hate peas! Good thing you ate well earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I am allergic to peas. I always disliked them, but would pick them out. Then, I found out I am allergic.

      Delete
  2. I live potato soup! I wonder if the cow and goat talk about the people who use the picnic table? I hope you get those bill's figured out in your favor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BD,
      We discussed that, how the cow and goat talked about the people at the table Tommy started that conversation. Thanks. This has been hanging over me. I thought it was something else.

      Delete
  3. our daughter's car axel needed fixing and they didn't know it. While they were driving it broke and the car had to be replaced. Luckily they were driving in the city so were going slow. If they were driving country speeds the car could have flipped. So what did you eat at that free lunch? Sounds like you had only dessert and tea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Tommy never fixes anything on his car unless I harass him. He does not care what kind of noise it makes as long as it keeps rolling. Okay, once in a while, he will have something repaired. But, not often. I was afraid something would happen on the interstate drive we were going to do the next day.

      I ate four crackers, cake, pie, and unsweetened tea. Oh, I picked out a few bits of turkey. It was not what I would have liked to eat, but I had lots of protein for breakfast and did not eat again until dinner. I will have a better day as far as eating today.

      Delete
  4. Wow that is quite a car repair, if the car was old I might have said get a newer one, rather then spending that kind of money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes if Medicare rejects a bill it's because the doctor or someone else didn't code it right with the right diagnosis code as to why something was done or given. (hope that is clearer than mud- sometimes I don't explain things well) I usually tell them to contact the doctor or hospital or who ever coded it and tell them to make sure they had the right code. Billing errors happen all the time. That's why I always request a detailed bill if I stay in the hospital especially. They give you all kinds of stuff (or say they did) like aspirin every day at 9.00 a pill and I am deathly allergic to aspirin. So I told them you would have seen a charge every day for an epi pen injection or at least benadryl if I took aspirin. They said you must have since it's a heart unit and every one there takes aspirin. Let me tell you I asked for someone who had a brain at that point. Oh all so one time they did a serum pregnancy test on me when I went in for heart problems. I said no you didn't even draw blood. The lady in billing tried to argue with me. I had had a hysterectomy at that same hospital a few years before that. lol. I could go on and on with weird charges I and my family have found on bills over the years. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not find the itemized bill today to call Medicare. I found it tonight and was looking at the charges. Supposedly, they gave me something in recovery. No, don't think so. I will sort it out on the phone tomorrow. I found out that a optometrist sold me frames and lens that he got paid for but I never received. I think I will ask for itemized bill from now on.

      Delete
    2. I try to check every bill medical and things like utilities. Once I was supposed to get my electric deposit back when I moved out of the area and they sent me a bill for the amount of the deposit. I called right away and stayed on the line until I could find someone with some common sense who knew what to look for and what I was telling them. Seems they charged me for my deposit instead of refunding me a check. Some people might have just paid the bill but not me! Take care.

      Delete
    3. Also they try to say - Oh your insurance already paid for it. And I tell them that is Medicare fraud to charge for something I didn't get or get done.

      Delete
    4. As it turns out two different places did not put the right code on the bill submitted to Medicare!

      Delete
    5. Crystal,
      N, I would not pay it either. My deposit for utilities was only $9, but I got it take off the final bill.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...