Monday, January 6, 2020

Grocery Shopping

After a very frugal Sunday, we went shopping today. I try to have several stores to visit. They are often so far apart here in Jefferson County, a large area.

PUBLIX
My a2milk is usually $4.49/half gallon. but today it was $3.99, so I bought six half-gallons, saving a total of $3.
An 8 oz. Kraft Medium chunk cheese was $3. I bought two even though I bought two last week at the same price at another store. I hate to pay full price for either milk or cheese.
Ragu Spaghetti sauce was bogo. I paid $2.48 for two, $1.24 each. Then, I had a coupon for $.60 off two, bringing the cost for each to $0.94. I was pleased at the final price. We usually get 8 servings from one jar.
I bought Tillamook Turkey Breast Jerky, at an exorbitant cost--$5.69!!!


PIGGLY WIGGLY
Tommy saw it and suggested I stop in there since we were driving by. I found nothing, but I bought two packages of Stage Planks for a quarter a pack.

DOLLAR TREE
I went in to buy a package of 3 mesh laundry bags for $1. They were hard to find. I use these instead of plastic bags for produce. The zipper does not have a stop and is not sewn into the seam on two of them. I can fix those for this price. I bought one LED bulb for $1. Then, after paying, I found more Christmas cards--$.50 for 20 cards.

Then, I searched for something to wash my car elsewhere, specifically the area under the spoiler which never comes clean and is getting thick. I finally got a spray bottle for bugs and tar and will only wash under the spoiler. Then, we went to an independent car wash place where the cars are hand-washed. It will cost $15 for the hand wash and he said we could sit in the car. He washed cars out in the parking lot of his little building. I might do that next month when I will have a little more money, plus I just spent $7 to run it though the scary carwash.

I forgot to buy bananas because the guy said he could get me some in about ten minutes. So, I wandered off and never came back. I forgot. However, I have one that is half-dead. I will probably mash it up and put it in milk instead of just eating it will a glass of milk. And, I just remembered we forgot to buy bread. Oh well.

Today, I wore a long-sleeved red sweater given me by a friend in CA. It was in 60s today, so I was overheated immediately. sigh

Tonight, we will have turkey in a StoveTop casserole with cranberry sauce. I usually put dried cranberries in this casserole. Craisins have oil and sugar. I like mine plain. My dehydrated cranberries are in the dump, jars of them! I need to dehydrate more when I can get my Excalibur Dehydrator up here.

The weather for the next two weeks is above average temperature. I can live with this.

Oh, I found an umbrella in my car yesterday. I hope it is usable.

Under international law, it is a war crime to destroy cultural sites. Yet, we will soon have a person who commits war crimes as our leader if he keeps his promise.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like good grocery shopping. Are you feeling better? I hope so as you are always busy and need your strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      It was a good grocery shop. I feel just a bit better. I have an appointment with a cardiologist on Wednesday. Well, I was not so busy for three days, so I got behind. I need to wash dishes from last week, but I am going to work on that tonight.

      Delete
  2. Do you freeze some of that 6 half-gallons of milk or do the two of you drink that much before it could possibly go sour? Inquiring minds want to know. We buy bread 4 or 5 loaves at a time for 79 cents each and put it all in the freezer and take out one loaf at a time.

    We are old (84 and 79) and do very little cooking any more. We have been trying to lose weight since last June (she has lost over 40 and I have lost about 25) so we buy a lot of what I'm sure you will call toxic -- frozen meals as cheap as we can find them, mostly Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones (the latter is Weight Watchers). The LC are usually $2.79 (I don't buy many of them) and $2.29 (which are sometimes 3 for $5 so that makes them $1.67) and the Smart Ones are usually 2 for $4 but often are 2 for $3, but Kroger has "mega-deals" where if you buy at least five the $2 type will be $1 -- we stock up on them. There are a couple of breakfast types - ham & egg scramble (using egg whites) with potatoes, and bacon & egg scramble also. I don't know why I'm telling you all this, but the six half-gallons of milk got me started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      No, I never freeze milk. I drink this, not Tommy. I need it, and he does not. He gets cheap milk, Walmart brand. I have it packed for the car one half-gallon to a bag. Then, I put the bags in the refrigerator. I figure the bags keep the milk from warming any as we open the refrigerator. I have never had any milk go bad lately.

      When I worked, I did not drink so much milk and part of a gallon would sour. I put chocolate in it and drank it, anyway. People think that is gross, but I could not taste the sour. Besides, I make buttermilk by leaving milk on the counter to sour.

      Yes, sounds toxic to me. LOL I never eat those type meals. I am allergic to so many of the ingredients. Lean Cuisine is good! Yes, I tried them. I need to lose weight and I have. I think the doctor would yell at me if I ate those meals.

      Before my freezer broke, I bought $7 worth of bread and got a free loaf, so 8 loaves and 7 went into the freezer.

      I plan to be old. Who know what I will do then. I enjoyed the information. Sharing is good.

      Delete
  3. You have a lovely prose that makes simple tasks like grocery shopping a fun read.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...