Thursday, February 27, 2020

Busy Day

Almost 9 pm. I am exhausted again tonight. At least we were only gone for 8 hours today. With beautiful weather  and sunshine, even bad experiences would not bother me. I think it only was in low 40s today, but with brilliant sunshine.

We left at noon to go to Cullman and stopped to get a $1 burger. We brought our own drinks. I threw out most of my Coke at the gas station because I would finish it eventually if it stayed in the car. So, I saved a few calories today.

There are days we leave with a list and do not get it all done. Today was one of those days when there is no waiting anywhere.

First, I went to a food bank where I get to choose. Usually, I have to sit an hour. Today, as I was signing in, the woman came out and told me to go in. I got:

1 gal milk
frozen chicken breasts
frozen ground pork
box of chunky chocolate chip cookies
6 donuts
rye bread loaf
bag of mini bagels
slider buns
green beans, 1 can
peas, I can
Wheat Thins
body wash that I got to refill my soft soap dispenser
2 perfect, huge Granny Smith apples. Do I see an Apple Betty?

Every bit of this will be used! The bread can be frozen.  I never get bread or sweets over vegetables or meat. The person says, "Three breads." And, then "one off this shelf."  He likes bagels, I like rye, and the slider buns will be for meals or to take a cheese sandwich with us.

I went to a store where I found 16 oz. clamshells of strawberries 2 for $3. I got four packages. I see strawberry shortcake in our future. I make my own shortcake, sort of a slightly sugary, buttery drop biscuit.

Since we both did not have milk at home, we decided to buy milk in Cullman so we did not have to go shopping tonight.

I was going to get my car tag today, the last day to do so since I do not want to go back tomorrow. But, I realized the long would be too long for me to stand. Scratch that off the list! I can get it Tuesday and sign a statement that I have not driven it to avoid a penalty.

Then, I had to go to the Social Security office. Luckily, there was no one ahead of me. It was strange that the place was not jammed or at least have a few people. So, that chore took only ten minutes.

The trip to Publix was uneventful, but I now have enough bananas to last through Monday. I eat one every day.

My yard is still there with pretty daffodils. I only had one letter at the PO, but it was something I was awaiting. I found stacks of coupons on the counter near my box. We drove around the lake in town and wondered if they are putting in new camp areas and picnic tables. The track team was running around the lake on the walking/running trail. That seems less dangerous than running along the streets. We went to my storage unit.

I went into one store and did not like the service, so left. I forgot to go to the shoe repair/cobbler. Bummer on both counts.

We went to my friend's junk store and she was not open. Two men were on the other side of the building. One was her nephew. My friend is in the hospital.

Then, we stopped at the permanent yard sale and went to the one next to it. I found a pretty dish, about ten inches across and a 1 inch rim around it, $1. It has pink roses on it.

At Belk's I returned four things and bought nothing.

Then, we went to a community dinner. The menu is on  the table with pens. We circled what we desired and it was brought to us. I got shredded lettuce, chopped meat, black beans, sour cream, shredded cheese. Tommy got that and the hard taco shell, taco sauce, corn. I got plain meat and put one tsp of taco sauce on the meat. Dessert was chocolate cake and ice cream. I only ate about two bites of cake and six tiny bites of ice cream. My food was delicious. He enjoyed what he got and ate a whole bowl of salsa with chips before dinner. He has told me he does not like salsa! ???

Can you believe I left chocolate cake and ice cream?

The dinner was packed, but I did not know one person there. When I left, I saw a woman that I could have sat with. Well, there was a woman who said she could not be friends with me because her Pentecostal church would not like her being friends with me because I did not go to her church. She got in trouble and was chastised publicly for going to the lunch with music. Sad!

Today, I worried about his blood sugar since I know what he has to eat. I offered on the way down to drive home, which I did. I really need to learn how to get to his house...lol. When I went to the store where I found cheap strawberries, I bought a tiny bottle of chocolate milk for me. I knew he would not like that. So, I got him a single package of peanuts. He tore into them and ate them all right in the parking lot. We were so far ahead of the dinner, that we had plenty of time. He did not suffer from low blood sugar at all. Well, he may have been heading there since he had nothing but the hamburger patty that was not carb all day long before I got the peanuts.

Do you ever plan chores and how much time it will take, only to have everything go your way and end up with time to spare and nothing to do? It certainly beats the opposite dilemma of nothing right and being rushed.


2 comments:

  1. I have never been that lucky... It's always hurry up and wait.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...