Friday, February 28, 2020

Also, a Busy Friday

If you call shopping "busy," we were busy shopping for food and stuff.

orange juice in little bottles for in the car
toilet paper on sale
vinegar for unclogging the sink, laundry, and dish washing
baking soda for laundry, dishes, and sink clog
shelf stable milk--4 quarts
$1 broom
Hormel Chili without beans on sale
6 half-gallons of a2milk
clock
Command hooks
door knob
chocolate Stage Plank
bananas
4 8-ounce chunks of Kraft Medium Cheddar Cheese
pair of summer pants to see if they fit
metal scraper thing for putty. . .putty knife?
Android phone...cheap

I visited Publix, the Pig twice, Dollar Tree, Lowe's and another store. I had to go back to the Pig because there was no electric cart the first time.

There is one clock in this house, by his chair. When I need to know the time, he changes the channel on the TV. He keeps his clock by him turned with the face away from me. He says the radio sounds better when turned that direction. I have never heard him listen to the radio. Oh, there is a clock that is a train picture and makes a train noise every hour and half hour. He hates it and the batteries are out. But, the ugly thing is on the wall.

The putty knife is for scraping off the foam insulation left stuck to the door. I bought the insulation a few weeks ago. I have been too ill to clean the old off and put the new on.

He must keep a five-gallon bucket with heavy stuff in it in front of the utility room door so the door will not blow open. So, I bought a door knob. Now, I can lock it and will not have to move that heavy bucket that is slowly crumbling all over the carport.

I used his Lowe's card for clock, Command hooks, and doorknob. He looks at what I buy and never says a word. That is how I got his Christmas present of the front door locks. I think he takes a stand and cannot change his mind. So, he says nothing about what I buy. He is funny and cute that way.

He has not owned a broom in 20 years. I intend to buy a broom from industries for the blind,  also.

The sink in the kitchen drains so slowly that I am going to give it a good dose of vinegar and baking soda. Instead of the two quart pot of water, I will boil a two gallon pot of water and get Tommy to pour it down the drain. If we fail, we call a plumber! He is sort of resigned to that.

Three pennies appeared out Tommy's door as he got in. I shrieked to him that there was a penny. "Actually three. They were here when we went in"  He cannot bend to get them, but I told him to alert me next time. I ran around and got them. A Loomis armored car was next to us, so I suppose they are not into picking up pennies since they were using a hand truck for their trip into the store. That makes five pennies for the year I have found.

Tonight, we had salmon croquettes except made with a can of tuna, sweet potatoes, broccoli and halo. My back hurt so that I could have done no more than stand for the skillet of croquettes cooked with no oil. Even dishing up the leftover broccoli soup and sweet potato was excruciating for my back.

I believe it was high 50s today. Cumulous clouds were pile high all around the incredibly blue sky. The sun made the tops look snow white. The whole appearance was of meringue piled high. Great day all day. We got along great from the time I got up until now, almost 9 pm. Hooray!










































































6 comments:

  1. Don't you just love a day where you get things done and also one that goes well. I am heading home today on the plane. Airports tear me up. I sometimes get them to take me in a wheelchair to my gate if it's a far one. I always allow plenty of time to get there without rushing so I can go my own pace. Back to home and to see what is what there. I hope my husband vacuumed. He usually does the day before I come back but his is officiating a wedding this afternoon then picking me up from the airport close to 6 when I come in. After nearly a month away it will seem strange to get back into my routine. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      Everything went smoothly except for the repeat trip to the Pig.
      I would have to have a wheelchair from the curb in an airport! Oh, having a vacuumed house to come home to would be great Hope he does vacuum. I am sure you will get right back into any routine that is home, even if you have been gone. A month is a long time. Take it easy at home....if you can.

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of stops for shopping! I imagine croquettes are like fish cakes? I made them once with tuna-not bad, not great-just a change. I wonder if I made them in the air fryer would they crisp up nice and be a good change for spring. You gave me an idea, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I suppose they are the same. Mama always called them croquettes. I put onions, egg or eggs, crushed crackers or oats or both. Make patties and cook. I used a Teflon-like pan and no oil. They were no really crispy enough and I got too many crackers. But, they were delicious. I used the free Wheat Thins. I have also used saltines and sometimes oats. Since the Wheat Thins are so spicy and delicious, I used no
      salt. I imagine the air fryer would work just fine. Tommy was disappointed I used tuna even though I told him I would. I just wish there were leftovers for tonight..lol.

      Delete
  3. Shopping is quite 'busy' and downright exhausting. I would rather others do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Back in the days when I recovered so easily, I knew it was busy and exhausting and necessary. Now, it is almost too much for me.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...