Monday, April 13, 2020

Things That Are Different This Week and Easter

The pink plastic bag with store ads and the coupon inserts was not thrown in the driveway this week. Bummer. I wonder if the inserts are still in the newspaper. I will call the paper to see. Anne, did you get your pink plastic bag?

Publix publishes three paper items with deals and coupons. Only the large newsprint ad is in the store now. This is the paper with BOGOs. That's good. So, there are no other deals or coupons.

A small store in Cullman has no more ads and no deals. Bummer again! They had good buys.

I received an email from Belk's for buy one men's item and get three free. (B1G3) What?! I waited until the next day and it was gone. For $28 I could get four pair of pants for Tommy.  I think they were $60 pants, maybe $58. But, the deal is gone. $7 men's pants are a great buy. A customer service person said the deal might come back.

While shopping for Campbell's soup, I came across something that stymied me and sort of still does. I found Cream of Mushroom Soup and Campbell's Mushroom Cooking Soup. Well, I cook with some of the "Cream of" soups. I read the labels. It seems that there are more actual vegetable in the "cooking soup."  Mushroom Cooking Soup has 1 1/2 cups of vegetables--mushroom and broccoli. Plus, there are many more spices in it.

Did you know there is a Cream of Bacon Soup? That's news to me.

Northern toilet paper is back at Publix. They seem to have a tp delivered every day, just a different brand. The brand de jour is abundant with the other brands down to one or two packs or not at all.  I did not buy more. Monday, even more Northern tp showed up at Publix.

Tommy has quit his outbursts right before bedtime. This has helped me to sleep well each night. I had a calm talk with him. I did not say goodnight for two nights in a row. He changed.

I no longer fear the test for my heart, the cath. I did some research on Saturday. I found a minimally invasive procedure--Siemens multipoint 64 slice CT Scanner--Super Scanner with non-invasive 3-D images of the heart and blood vessels. Have you heard of this? Had experience? My stress level has dropped significantly!

With people dying, especially old people with other health problems like us, Tommy will not take it seriously. He got out to pump gas and handled car handle, steering wheel, keys and credit card, yelled about the Lysol Wipe I handed him, dibbled it on his hands and threw it with attitude on the dashboard and told me, "You worry too much." Okay, I worry about him, but he cannot worry about me. great. I may kill him yet.  So, this week, he has given up being cautious. Great, just great!!!

Easter was low-key and lazy. I had plans for the dinner, but they were changed. Possibilities included spiral-cut ham, slaw, green bean casserole, field peas and snaps, potato salad. I could not find the French fries in kitchen, so none of that. The potato salad was just too labor intensive, and Tommy cannot stand potato salad.

So, I ended up heating the ham, green beans, and the peas and snaps. That ended up being two of the same bean! I found the French fries package just at dinnertime but did not make it. I had made vanilla pudding with pineapple in it because Tommy does not like bananas. Then, we had his chocolate bunny later that night.

I have potato salad on my mind, ingredients for green bean casserole, and a fruit salad for me. But, the day after Easter, Monday, we had the ham, and cole slaw. Plus, I put green beans in with the field peas and snaps and heated that for us. It was a replay of Easter, but we certainly do not care.

How have things changed in your life from last week to this week?





8 comments:

  1. More of the same here, plus snow is melting. I'm tired of cooking and meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      Melting snow seems to be a plus, or, at least, it would be for me. I like cooking but it hurts me. Hopefully, it will get less tedious for you.

      Delete
  2. I've made potato salad twice since isolated! I just wash the potatoes-dont peel them- and boil with the eggs for around 30 minutes. Then as they cool, the skins are easy to remove. I like mine fairly well mashed instead of diced. I just add with diced onions, celery, mayo and pickle relish and season. It doesn't take long that way. Mom always added the relish and it does sweeten the dish. I'm making fried zuchinni cakes today to eat with fresh corn on the cob. I like to get things done early though since I am in bed by 8 PM. I've always been early to bed and early to rise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      What you described is labor intensive for me! Your meal today sounds delicious. I am a night owl...lol. These potatoes have to be peeled first. There are lots of black places inside.

      Delete
  3. we have snow coming back in this week(northwest Ohio) really really sucks. I have a friend, also male and lives in Huntsville AL.. he has Tommy's attitude. Even with both of his daughters working in the hospitals he just blows them off.

    We don't get coupons from anywhere. Used to when we lived in town but rural folk don't get that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Snow, wow! The thing is, Tommy is all for me taking no chances. He just will not be careful himself. I no longer use many coupons, but I would hate never getting any. Stay warm...

      Delete
  4. I have a slew of eggs to use up so I think deviled eggs are in order,and I will make egg salad this week for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I have lots of eggs, but I only boiled 7 for tuna salad, eating for breakfast. I love eggs.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...