Sunday, April 12, 2020

"Lipstick Effect" and the Economy

When an economy enters troubled waters, this does not spell bad news for all categories. “Affordable luxury”, for example, tends to perform well in a recessionary environment. This trend became known as the “lipstick effect”, a term coined by Leonard Lauder, Chairman of Estée Lauder, at the beginning of 2001 when he observed that lipstick sales tend to be inversely correlated to economic health. While lipstick sales did not withstand the recent recession, there is some evidence that the “affordable luxury” effect is still present, but manifesting itself in
different categories over time. Nail polish, for instance, could be considered the new “lipstick”, but the “lipstick of choice” varies with time and geography.

source: https://blog.euromonitor.com/redefining-the-lipstick-effect-examples-of-recession-proof-categories/

So, I was not far off when I felt it necessary to buy extra hair color since the UK has had the "lipstick effect" for hair color.

People cannot afford luxuries like vacations and new cars, so they turn to something "affordable" to spend their money and feel buoyed instead of feeling the lack of luxury. These items they turn to are not cheap but less than a vacation.

Walmart reports  hair color buying is in panic stage. No, I did not cause this or contribute. If salons are closed, women will turn to boxes from the drugstore or Walmart.

Also, backed by research is the notion that women turned to lipstick as a way to be more "acceptable." If jobs are disappearing, maybe a woman feels wearing lipstick will insure her economic health. I have a book devoted to makeup in a woman's world. If she needs security maybe her access to a man to support her will be enhanced by the wearing of lipstick.

Now, nail polish has replaced lipstick as the affordable luxury in the US.

Once, long ago, when I was very poor, discouraged and had only $5 to my name, I experienced this effect first hand in the midst of looking for a job. It was Friday night. I went to the store and bought a lipstick and a magazine. By Monday I was back on track in my life.  I was not looking for a mate, but I did need a job. The lipstick was the only lipstick I had as the only other tube I owned was gone down beyond the top of the tube.

This is a very interesting article, worth the time to read, based on statistics with charts to break up the reading of texts.

8 comments:

  1. I think it makes sense. We went through a particular tight time financially when my son was five and daughter three, and he was going to school in the fall. The spring before, we were in a mall trying to just do window shopping as we did not have money to blow, but came a cross an unbelievable sale at what was then the Macy's of the Twin Cities, Dayton's, (who later sold to Marshall Fields to them Macy's). I was able to get most of his school clothes for the following fall for literally pennies on the dollar, with the labels. It was a splurge, but wasn't if that makes sense. It felt like we were suddenly economically viable again in the world, and things did turn around for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      We never forget those moments. Thanks for the story. Off the topic, but I always tried to get my children's clothes off-season. So, good job.

      Delete
  2. My "lipstick effect" is splurging on the odd grocery item, this week it is balsamic vinegar, not something that is a need but a want and affordable luxury. Later in the Spring it will likely be string lights for our yard. Our salaries are uncertain right now although we are very careful with both our company money and personal, we will have salaries to the end of the year no matter what and after that our savings will kick in if necessary. So any luxury we have at this point must be an affordable one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick,
      You nailed it--the true meaning. I think ice cream was on the list for some country. So, your foodstuff could be the next affordable luxury. And, I can see yard items replacing vacations large and small. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I have had this effect lately translate into "feeling good" splurges on my yard/flowers/landscaping. The timing right now could sure be used on necessities, but I have been keeping busy and trying to keep my mind in a good place by working in the yard. Also I have gotten several bushes and about 40 pavers free from my sister in law, so that is part of the timing, but a couple of times I have suddently ran to the nursery and not just to get veggies/seeds - although I have planted several of those too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      Everyone has their affordable luxury. It seems that you are going to your yard to feel good, a good thing in my opinion. Your beautiful yard will give you a good feeling for a long time. Thanks for sharing this.

      Delete
  4. I grew up in a large, poor family so although we were fed and loved "luxury" just wasn't on the horizon. As we kids got older, if we wanted something we had to find a Saturday job to get it. But it stood us in good stead. Even so, when I went to Geneva and earned "a fortune" (to my mind) I always had that restraint at the back of my mind. Still do to a certain extent now, even though I was on damn good money when I was working. I just couldn't understand why some of the girls I worked with "hit the sales" all the time and were forever buying clothes. My "luxury" (apart from travel) is books, but even now I buy them second-hand if I can. But I get the lipstick luxury really. The little treats make life so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders.
      Thanks for your story of the "lipstick effect."

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...