Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Tuesday Tidbits

Okay, the pink plastic bag was thrown today. And, there are no coupon inserts. I hate that. But, the Publix ad was there even though there is nothing I want. There are plenty of things on sale.

The Aldi ad held nothing of interest to me. blueberries are more expensive there than at Publix.

Walmart has closed their garden center, so there is no way to buy bedding plants or garden things. Yet, they are selling hair color and other stuff that will not keep you healthy or alive.

I had plans for today, but it appears I will get nothing done. So, my expectations for me has fallen. I will plant carrot seeds for carrots that are only about 3" long--Ferry-Morse' Petite Sweet Little Finger. Hopefully, it will be good and grow more value than the $1.78 price for the seed pack. Eventually, I want to grow enough carrots for cooking and freezing for winter.

My concrete planter will be home to mounding petunia plants I have. I plan to put some in the backyard, too.  A six-pack cost $1, and I got a pack of white and one of pale pink. I like those two together.

Seeds for Roma Tomatoes will be started tonight in plastic cups and soil mix. So, that is three things in the ground this evening. It is almost 6 pm here and the sun is still very bright, not near setting.

Somewhere on the internet, I saw a picture of a person who had made a face shield from a hard plastic container from greens or cookies. Well, it is that hard plastic type. I think that is very clever and useful. She had it somehow attached to a strap around her head. That might work for some of you.

Tonight, I am making the green bean casserole. Since I mixed the peas and snaps with green beans, there is a large portion of that left. I am going to put it in the casserole instead of just leaving it in the refrigerator. Ham and fruit salad will be on the menu, also.

A chicken breast that needs to be used will form the basis of Family Circle Hot Chicken Salad, along with the rest of the potato chips. Fruit salad will round out the menu.

How are you re-imagining Easter food? What have you planted or germinated? What do you plan to plant or germinate?




9 comments:

  1. I don't really have Easter foods except chocolate eggs and hot cross buns. I used to cook fish on Good Friday but now that we are vegetarian nearly all the time the whole fish idea doesn't really work.
    I'm not really a gardener but my daughter is growing mint and I'm looking forward to that getting big enough to harvest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Chocolate needs no remaking...lol. I always wondered about hot cross buns. Mint is the one thing I would not grow, but I am looking forward to picking tomatoes. I grew mint one time and it took over the yard. That was before I knew how some mint would take over.

      Delete
  2. I've been eating the leftovers from Easter, the other two, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed food seems more expensive too, even when it's on sale. I'm not sure if store just stopped putting out good ads because food costs more or because the stores are already overwhelmed. And I totally don't understand garden stores not being able to sell gardening stuff so people can grow their own food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COL,
      This is the time of the month for crummy ads. I look at the ad papers and then buy what I need/want at whatever price. I am still in disbelief that the garden center at WM is closed. However, free-standing centers, private ones, are open.

      Delete
    2. The garden center is open at Lowe's.

      Delete
  4. I so miss planting seeds at this time of year.
    It is worth moving back to cooler climes to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I was not aware you could not plant seeds there. Surely, someone plants and gardens?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...