Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Monday at Sam's Club and Microwave

Saturday morning, I awoke feeling horrible--body aches, sweaty all over, sore throat, chest congestion, head congestion, phlegm in throat, eyes hurt. I just hurt. Within a few hours, I felt a smidgen better, not much.

Sunday, I felt much better. Monday, I awoke having had a lot of sleep and felt better. Then, we went to Sam's Club, and I seemed to have a relapse. My three hour nap stretched to four and then five. Still, I felt horrible. And, the joints in my fingers started hurting, something that has never happened before.

This is the first time Tommy has been in a store to buy anything since the first of March. Other times, he has gone to bathroom in a store and come right out.

He always puts his mask on properly. Not this time. He had the mask covering the tip of his nose. He refused to put it on properly or pinch it so it fit. Well, this may be the last time he goes in anywhere. He likes to have public fights and was refusing to fit his mask even though others had theirs on properly.

I looked up and his mask was dangling on one ear. When I cautioned to put it back, he turned and yelled that the guy at the pharmacy could not hear him. "He can't hear me!" Well, if you yelled like that, he could!  He loves loud public displays of nastiness toward me!

He loudly told me it was his business if he got sick and none of mine. I reminded him that it could kill me and it was my business. I don't know why he gets like this sometimes! Other than that little hissy fit, he has been agreeable and nice all day, not fractious at all. 

(Okay, it is Tuesday and we were going to stop and ask something in a line. He had his mask up under his glasses so far, just like he usually does. He is not aware of the conversation on Monday. Heaven help us both!)

We got his pens needles for his insulin, box of forks, box of spoons, and Claritin for me. Then, we beat it out of there. He was willing to let me get stuff, asking me what else we needed and did I want anything. I just wanted him to quit breathing around the mask! 

Since I have been here, the size of Tommy's microwave has awed me. It is huge. He bought it in 1980 when he bought this house. I figured it was due to give up the ghost. Well, today, it did.  about 3 months ago, I said we could just use mine if his broke. He exploded and yelled at me. 

Tonight, I was going to pop popcorn in a bowl in the microwave for him to try to get him to give up the popcorn bags he likes to pop. After 10 minutes, the little container of butter I was melting was just a bit soft. The popcorn had managed to pop one tiny kernel, and it was hard after so much time in the low heat.

Of course, Tommy did not believe me and had to come try it himself. Finally, he gave up. He asked about my microwave. At my house, I asked the guy to put it in my trunk. It has lived there since last August. So, tomorrow it comes in and lives here. It will give me so much more room on the counter and lighten up the place since his huge one is black and my small one is white. 

The forty-year-old microwave died today.

I thought I would save the bad news for tomorrow--I think the one eye, at least, on the stove is dying. We can just switch out the coil with another eye. Easy fix, but he will not believe me.

Does anyone know of a 40-yr-old working microwave? 

14 comments:

  1. Our microwave went into its custom built in spot in 1983 or 1984. It is a big one by JC Penny. It has flat screen controls and no knobs to turn. Very modern for the time. Shiny black glass and control pad. The rest of my kitchen appliances are white. I wish it would never wear out. It is nice and roomy and since I have had it so long, I know how to cook many things in it that most people don't have good luck cooking in a microwave. Since my husband worked nights for so many years, there haven't been many days where our microwave hasn't been used for at least someone's meal or snack.

    Since it's spot was custom fitted for it in a cabinet area, it will be a problem of what to do when it quits working, since they don't make big microwave ovens anymore that I know of, and since my Dad has passed, I don't know anyone who knows how to do custom cabinetry like he did. There is absolutely no room on any part of our tiny counter space for a microwave. So I don't know what we will do. I use our microwave for so many things.

    My stove is even more antique than my microwave. The stove was an expensive Kenmore model and was made in 1956 or '58. The metal tag is hard to read. It has pilot lights on top that stay lit all of the time and the oven has to have the pilot light lit with a match when I go to cook in it. I love my old stove, too. We asked the old lady who we bought our house from if she could possibly leave it here for us since we had no stove or refrigerator for the house because we were living in an apartment. She was happy for us to have it. And we were happy to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      My friend had her new oven put into the hole where her old one was before it quit. She was complaining that it had a hole across the top. I suggested she have someone put a nice board across the hole and paint it. It was rough but was better than the hole.

      At this point, i would rather have this in the wall to give me a bit more counter. But, i understand your problem with no counterspace to spare.

      I hear that gas stoves can be repaired forever. And, Kenmore is a good brand. Hopefully, you can have it forever.

      Delete
  2. I remember those BIG boxy Microwaves! They took up so much room! It is amazing that his microwave lasted this long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      It is huge! He said he thought he paid $300 for it. I have had one last about ten years, but not forty years. There will be a lot more room for me to slice/stir.

      Delete
  3. I don't know anyone with a 40 year old microwave. That is amazing that his lasted that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I have wished it would stop working....lol.

      Delete
  4. 40 years is a long time, back when they made stuff to last. I doubt a new one will last that long, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you have a back up microwave - and a smaller one, at that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate to be a nudge, but I do not understand tha tif you were so sick on Saturday, why would you go out in public on Sunday? The first rule being promoted is that anyone unwell should stay home and stay away from people. On a side note, I would absolutely leave if anyone yelled at me publically and he could make his own dinner and popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I was so much better by Sunday. Everyone is mandated to wear a mask in public in AL. I have thought about letting him just sit here and eat pb sandwiches!

      Delete
  7. good for your for pointing out his selfish actions lead to consequences particularly yours. I hope that teaches him a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Thanks. And, you would think he would remember the lesson. But, no, I see him with his mask down or the car window open listening someone at the window! Thank you so much.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...