Saturday, September 12, 2020

Brownies and Ice Cream, Death, and a Decision

 Friday, we went to one of the food pickups and came home with an enormous amount of food. They told us we could have as many boxes as we wanted. We said two, and the woman said you can have more, take more. So, we took four and she offered more. There is so much I need to work up. 

We got: six more butternut squashes, apples, plums, baby carrots like lunch size bags, red onions, baking potatoes, zucchini, cucumbers.

Also on Friday I purchased a blood pressure cuff, a touchless thermometer, and a 72" set of shelves--3 ft. wide.  I need the shelves for food in the kitchen. Food is all over floor, chairs, and table! I did not want to put it together last night, so we will do that today, Saturday. We both learned how to use the thermometer and practiced last night. He was pleased with his purchases...lol.

Last week, I saw red light out the door window one night. There was an ambulance across the street and a fire truck. I assumed the guy across the street who had developed lung cancer was going to hospital unless he had already died. 

Thursday night, there were several extra and never-before-seen cars there. I told Tommy he must have died. He poo-pooed that idea as I insisted. Well, Friday, Tommy talked to a woman from across the street and he did die! I thought the woman was the wife. No, she was the sister moved in to care for the guy. His wife died two years ago. Tommy was shocked as he had not heard about it. 

That is how disconnected he is from a man he has known for 25 years, a man who has faithfully mowed his yard or paid someone to mow his yard, a man who gave him his ramp and paid his men to install it for Tommy. I wonder how hurt the guy was that Tommy never acknowledged his wife died. I have a sympathy card for Tommy to give to them.

This guy has mown Tommy's yard for ten or more years, or had his employees mow Tommy's yard. 

At Dollar Tree a few weeks ago, I had bought 2/$1 8x8 inch disposable brownie pans, so I took one of the $0.98 Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie and made brownies. Tommy took them over. The guy's three daughters and their small children were there, plus other people from distant states. So, it was not much, but I am sure the brownies will be eaten! 

After baking brownies for them, I had still to bake brownies for my birthday. I decided Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix and a pint of ice cream were just what I needed. I ate waaaaay too much. We had to run to a Shell station to get the ice cream. 

After breakfast every day or many days, I get so tired and lethargic that I go to bed and sleep several hours. I have decided this is my blood sugar dropping and not good for me. Soooo, a decision. From now on, after I eat I will take a walk. Today, I was going to walk in the street with my walker and Tommy watching me in case I have a spill or someone runs me down. Then, I changed my mind. He set his stopwatch for me to walk in the house. 

I planned to walk for five minutes but made it to 3:30. I was just too winded to go farther. I was walking quickly down the hall and back around to the kitchen and to the stove. That is 25 steps. I will try for another 5 minutes in a bit, maybe only the 1:30 that I did not get done this time. Okay, I walked another 1:30 and was exhausted. I had to lie down because back and foot hurt so. But, I did not just fade away as before. 

One of the relatives of the man who died came and mowed Tommy's yard this afternoon. I think I will bake another pan of brownies for them. I am going to take two packages of brownie mix, put it in the other 8x8 pan and make brownies to take across the street. I think I will send some of this produce, too.  I hate to expect grieving people to cook their own food, but I cannot. They can haul it off to their own home if they don't want to cook now. 

It is 4:30 and 90F. Summer likes to linger here in the South. 


10 comments:

  1. Long time reader, first time to comment. How’s your iron and hemoglobin? Two years ago I was sleeping nine hours,getting up for a couple hours, then back to bed because I was exhausted. Turns out my hemoglobin was down to 7.1 and my iron level was so low I had to have three infusions. Worked wonders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catrina,
      I don't know. But, I believe it was checked. I will see.

      Delete
  2. Any kind gestures are appreciated when a family is experiencing grief. That was also so nice of them to mow for Tommy. You remind me that it is important to stay connected to people, even if just on occasion s they know you still care. This is why I still send Christmas cards especially to ants and older cousins and friends of my husbands parents (my parents friends have all pretty much passe don as well)..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I, too, think it is important. I baked two of the bags of brownie mix and had Tommy take it over last night. A guy he said was between 18 and 25 answered the door and took the pan. Most people like chocolate! I was so grateful that the yard was mowed.

      Delete
  3. That's terrific that you got so many boxes of food. I know you'll put them to good use. I'm sorry your neighbor passed away. They will appreciate your thoughtfulness with the sympathy card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Oh, I will freeze or use the vegetables. I think all forms of sympathy are welcome when someone dies.

      Delete
  4. Brownies! When was the last time I made or had any?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ur-spo,
      I am always aware of the last time I had brownies, and I eat them too often. From now on, I will only eat them once a month.

      Delete
  5. I live in a condo and tend not to get too close to my neighbors. They tend to come and go anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...