Sunday, September 6, 2020

Sunday and Visit with Friend with Dementia

I managed to erase a whole post. ugh

This morning I awoke with almost enough sleep. But, I was feverish and had a hot knot in the side of my neck. So, I felt worse by the minute and went back for a four-hour nap. When I awoke, I asked to go somewhere. 

Tommy has mentioned where he lived growing up. Today, I wanted to go. So, we drove there, just a bit away and he showed me around the place. He went to Hemphill School through the eighth grade. He walked all seven blocks no matter the weather--heat, ice, pouring rain, or thunder and lightening. Maybe that is why he is so impervious to the weather and just does what he must. 

It was a nice little outing. On the way back, I stopped and got another bag of panties, 6 pair, and three tension rods for the bedroom where the food is and the adjoining bathroom which has no window covering. My plans are to take the floral sheets and make curtains for both. So, three windows will cost less than $10 to cover. All that price is in the tension rods. I suppose I will sew them by hand since I have no sewing machine. But, the header is done since I can use the hem for the rod.  

New floor mats for my car and a hand wash for it were on my list of things to do today, but those did not happen. Tomorrow. 

I have not been able to reach a friend for months. The last time I saw her was in January. I have tried to call and no one answers. One reason I worry is because her husband is in Nashville at a hospital for a psychiatric problem. She is quickly losing her memory because of shrinkage of part of her brain. Even though I have known her since 1975, I have never been to her home as we were just friends through our children's shared activities for a few years. 

However, for the last ten years or so, we have attended one of the monthly dinners at one of the churches. We have renewed the friendship on a personal basis again. Through the intervening years, we had great conversations every time we met up. 

Finally, I had the presence of mind to get her address from the internet and went to her home. While we were sitting in the driveway, I called her and she was home! She asked me to come in, but I told her we did not want to come in, just talk. So, she told me to wait and she would come out. Tommy and I put on our masks and she kept her distance. 

It turns out she was home for only a few days. Her daughter had brought her down and was coming back to take her to Smith Lake and then back to Nashville. 

At least, now, I can write her. However, she has no idea who I am. 

Into the conversation she asked me, "Now, how do we know each other?" I reminded her of the swim team and my children's names. She told me her children's names. Of course, I reminded her of the church dinners and she "remembered" both. 

It was a bittersweet meeting, but now I know. Of course, when I write I will put in the letter something about the children's activities and our later meetings and the dinners every time I write.

Right now, she knows her children's names, their spouses, and her grandchildren. I know that will pass eventually. But, she has plenty of people to care for her.

Tonight, I have opened a huge can of pork and will put Dreamland BBQ sauce on it and we will have whatever leftovers are in the refrigerator. I am throwing out the pork as it is too fatty.

Tomorrow's plans--floor mats, hand wash for car, and whatever I decide...lol. After all, it is my birthday week.

What did you do this weekend or are you going to do tomorrow? 


6 comments:

  1. You had a busy day. I'm glad you were able to finally find your friend. It's sad that she is losing her memory but it's good news that she has a lot of people who love and care for her. What I did this weekend is a long list of errands. It included a lot of shopping (a few items of clothing, some tools and household items and a plant). I've been busy cleaning out little things that should have been done ages ago. It's a long weekend here but it doesn't feel like it as I have a lot of task to do and the week ahead is busy. I always feel good when I get a lot of things done I was happy to read the other day that you had a wonderful day free of pain. That's awesome and I hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      It always feel good to get a bunch of little things done. I am never free from pain, but I felt well, not ill and was able to function better than I have in over a month. That helped to make it a productive day. I feel for my friend. Your shopping soounds like mine this weekend, stuff.

      Delete
  2. That must be tough to find an old friend who is losing her mind. But good on you for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had left a message or two on her phone, but I am quite sure she had no idea who I am. I have been witness to her decline for the last five or so years, maybe more.

      Delete
  3. sorry about your friend, that is tough. Hope you have a great birthday week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      I just hope I am never in that position. It is now Monday, and it is going fine!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...