Monday, September 21, 2020

More Accomplished

 Sunday afternoon, Tommy got up without my mentioning the sweet potatoes and took them all outside and sorted the good from the bad. Now, we can buy another 40 lbs. I am going to cook the remaining dozen sweet potatoes. I have cooked chicken, so this oven full will not be hard for me to do. 

Tommy always has joined in with my recycling. But, when I came here, he did not want to recycle cans. I mentioned yesterday that we have too many bags of plastic bags and we should throw out the old bags of bags. He reacted with alarm, saying he wanted to recycle them at a store that recycles bags. What a shock. So, we will do that today. We need to get out to go somewhere as it keeps us feeling less cooped up. 

Okay, we went to Publix with kitchen garbage bags full of bags and an employee took them in. Wow, the place here has more room.

Hopefully, the chairs will get washed. I am not too hopeful, though. No, chairs are for Monday. He is cutting coupons and I am listing books.

I mentioned I wanted to go to the "take a book; leave a book" store outside a store in Southside. He asked if I wanted to go now. So, we went. Unopened books have a spine without signs of opening and they are stiff. You know the feeling. 

I know I took 13 and left 0, but it is a long way to this place, a 40 mile trip. I will return 13 books or more when I go there again.  

I  chose 13 books~~ N denotes never opened, so obviously new and never read. 

N To Engineer is Human--role of failure in successful design

N Born To Rock--heavy drinkers and thinkers

Dog Years--Mark Doty

The People's Almanac

N ABCs of Bridge

Literature: Today's Young Adults--how to teach it, not what I thought but useful.

N How to Be a Bridesmaid...just to see what they say. pristine dustcover.

For Her Own Good--150 years of the experts' advice to women by Barbara Ehenreich  I read this before and it's gone.

Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet

A Discovery of Witches--I thought this was about witches through the years. I think it is a novel, but the back cover says it is a book about books. I will look it up and see. Okay, it is a novel so I probably will not read it.

Midnight Song by Henry James--I love anything he wrote. Correction: This is "Henry James' Midnight Song", not what I thought. It is a fin-de-siecle mystery set in Vienna. It might be good after all. 

In Praise of Play by Robert E. Neale This sounds good, research, I think.

N Everything, Everthing "soon to be a motion picture" Why, yes it was a movie. Pristine dustcover

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince--hardback Surely, this was read only once. First American Edition

When I picked out a book from this outdoor, exposed-to-the weather bookcase, I opened it, put my nose in and breathed deeply. Ten of these books have the same faint odor of a woman's house. None have even the slightest whiff of mustiness. I wanted to go here before it rains because I sort of figured someone would put out books in this week of dry weather and humidity.  Actually, all these books look so great that I think they threw out the old ones that had gotten wet with rain blowing. 

From the condition of all these books and the subjects, I believe the whole lot belonged to a professor and a maybe a bibliophile. The subjects spoke of erudition. There were about 500 new (not wet and musty) books replacing the mess I found last time I was there. 

Okay, it is Monday and almost 4 pm. It looks like no chair washing will happen today...sigh.

I love Hormel Canned Roast Beef. But, Armour Canned Roast Beef is about $1.50 cheaper, so I bought two cans, one to try now and one to save in stockpile. Tonight, we will try the Armour brand with potatoes or sweet potatoes and two other vegetables. I will let you know. 

What do you recycle? Do you have to take it to a recycling place or does it get picked up at your curb? Do you have a free book place? 




14 comments:

  1. Our recycling is curbside pickup once a week. Plastic bags have to be taken to Publix though.
    We have a little free library in our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is the way it was at my home. Down here, no recycling. At both places there is are Publix bins in side for styrofoam, plastic bags, and paper.

      I have not seen one here, but at the elementary school at home there was a free library for children.

      Delete
  2. Our recycling gets picked up at the curb one time a week. They take plastic containers, cans, cardboard and paper. Plastic bags you have to take to a store, they have a container to put them in. We have what they call little free libraries all over town. You take a book and leave one. Most of them have a little glass door to protect the books. They only hold a dozen books at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      Same at my town. All the Little Free Libraries have glass doors. the shelves outside the neighborhood store is open to all the weather!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you recycled those bags and found you have more room. I try to recycle most things and feel bad when it has to go in the garbage. We have recycling bins of various kinds (containers, glass and paper). I find the older people don't recylce properly and it defeats the purpose. For example, they will dump a whole pile of containers in the right bin but they will put them in plastic bags. This is a no no and I doubt very much is properly sorted at the recycling center. In fact, I heard it goes into the garbage. When I see this kind of thing it makes me very annoyed and I try to get rid of the plastic bags myself but don't have time to do that for everyone. As for free book places, we have a few free libraries called leave one, take one or some such thing but there are not that many. I don't use them because my local library is closer and I can get all the books I want there and return them. If I have my own books to give away, I list them on freecycle. I don't think I've ever had canned roast beef, only canned corn been and it is expensive here as are most things. Last time I bought two cans on sale for just under $4.00 each. I drool at your prices, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always take the stuff out of the plastic bags before it goes into the recycling bin. The library here is still closed. I have never canned any meat at all! The Armour was under $4 and the Hormel was almost $5. I hate you don't have options to get these prices.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for my earlier typos. I think you understood what I was saying for the most part. I would so love to have your prices too but overall I am grateful to live where I live and have the things I have so no big complaints. It just shocks me though that the prices can be so different from place to place. Even in the province right next door to me (Alberta) my relatives and I compare prices and their prices are much better than here on the coast. We do however have more moderate winters so one can't have it all ;-)

      Delete
    3. Joyful,
      I understood it all. I wish everyone could have the chance for my deals. I read other blogs and stores in their area give better deals than mine! I understand the benefits of living in different places. No one can have it all, but it would be nice for all of us.

      Delete
  4. We pretty much recycle everything we can, but it is easy as we have curbside pick up and no sorting needed. I'd rather we just have less packaging, but that is hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      There was no sorting at my house. We did take cans to salvage and got paid. Publix takes styrofoan, plastic bags, and paper bags. Sometimes the amount of packaging is ridiculous.

      Delete
  5. I read several books per week, and have to buy most of them at ThriftBooks for around $5.00 apiece.

    1. I have never seen a little free library in my town. Don't know why.

    2. I have long since exhausted everything that I want to read in my local library. Stopped going there a couple of years ago.

    3. No used bookstores around here, either, except the library has a small one. Limited selection.

    4. Would love, love, love a "take one, leave one" situation as I donate a large proportion of what I have read. My bookcases are full, so unless I plan to read the book again, I pass it along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      At my library, a person can request a book be bought and if they decide to buy it, the person gets it first. That has saved my buying of some books. Ask around for a free library box.

      Delete
    2. I can also request that the library purchase books and they often will but it takes a long time for them to order and then prepare the book for circulation. One good thing about the libraries here is you can have them order books from other libraries, an inter-library loan.

      Delete
    3. There is also the Open Library here where one can read free books but they are digital. It works when you can't get a paper book. https://openlibrary.org/help/faq/borrow

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...