Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Monday This and That

Last week, there were no batteries to use in the blood pressure cuff. Last week, we got batteries for the electric flyswatter and forgot about the medical device! Monday night, I loaded up the batteries and took my blood pressure--110/73. I think it was so high because I struggled with the cuff and put it on wrong. After sitting still for a bit, I will try again. 

The doctor wanted me to take my blood pressure when my heart is acting up. Now, I need to get an oximeter. Speaking of medical things, I dutifully put on my oxygen generator nose things and slept all night. When I got up for good the next morning, I had not turned on the generator! 

Monday, Tommy and I both needed to mail a letter, so about 6 pm, we headed out for a drive, too. The drive was cut short  because it was getting dark. I will not be happy when DST stops. 

Washing the chairs is the only thing on the agenda for Tuesday. It is the absolute last day since there will be rain on Wednesday.  I was adamant and Tommy agreed.

We tried the Armour Roast Beef and it was as good as the Hormel. It seemed like less meat, but maybe less fat. ??? I think I will go ahead and open the Hormel so the taste/fat tests will be close together. Tommy peeled and diced a 2 lb. potato and I opened a can of green beans. It was a delicious dinner. And, there is enough for another meal of mashed potatoes. Seriously, the potato was the largest I have ever seen and weighed at least two pounds.

When the pink paper came last Monday, there were two 75 cents-off coupons. I got a second set of coupons and wish I had gotten another set or two from driveways or  streets that never use them. 

Several times a week, one of our phones or a credit card or mail falls between the console and seats. It is so frustrating. It is also impossible for me to get my hand in there. It hurts. Tommy has larger hands but can force his hand in the crack. When we went to get his oil changed, he used it. Minutes later, I bought a light for his turn signal. Then, I used the card for my oil change. We went one other place in his car, he wanted to use it again. But, he could not find it. So, he used another card. We looked everywhere for his card. 

As he was looking in my car, he saw trash and cleaned out my car completely! He said he did not notice the trash under my seat when he cleaned the floor for my mats. He went out and cleaned my car of trash so it no longer has trash anywhere! 

The first thing he said, even before I walked away as he was looking in my car, "Oh, I see a quarter." When he came in, I asked him how much money he found, he said 36 cents--a quarter, two nickels, and a penny. So, he found money this time. He is going to put it in his change container in the car. We both use from it all the time.

Then, he searched his vehicle for the card and dropped his phone between his seat and the console. Much later, I noticed lots blood on his arm and paper from a Kleenex or napkin stuck to it. He had a three-inch gash on his arm. Ramming his hand between the seat and console had cut him and caused a wound that bled profusely and still has a large scab on it almost a week later. He used napkin and packing tape but would not allow me to bandage it. 

Last Fall, I wanted to get a foam thing that protects pipes from freezing to put between each of our seats and the console. He was furious, yelling at me. Later, in the winter I bought one piece. He was furious again. Well, after he was cut so badly last week, I suggested we find it and I would put it in place. He knew exactly where it was in the back of the Rogue and got it out for me without me asking. It works very well. I have no idea why he is so resistant! 

He thanked me for putting the barrier in, and we have not dropped anything down there since.  The piece of foam was cut and used for two pieces in his car with a piece left over that I can use in my car. 

All the pool noodles were gone from stores when I bought the pipe insulation. Those would have worked just as well and were on sale after Labor Day.

It is 10 pm and the temperature is 60F. I may need to break out a sweater! Can Fall weather be here for good? I doubt it. Summer is not really gone around here. I am still wearing sleeveless clothing. 

Tuesday now. We are going to the free book place and taking eight of Tommy's books to leave. I did not ask him. He just got busy removing books. I kept one. You are not going to believe what I kept.

THE KLINGON DICTIONARY

No, I have not lost my mind. 

But, I am getting sick--slight fever, sore throat, full head, body/muscle aches that are unimaginable. And, my toe hurts! I am ramping up for October, the month I am usually ill. So, allergy meds, aspirin, Vicks Vaporub, and Campbell's chicken broth are my life after we go to the free book place. I dare not wait longer since it is going to rain. 

Do you have someone resistant that comes around eventually? Do you have anything between seat and console to keep things from sliding down?

22 comments:

  1. Gosh how horrible to just know you're going to get sick in fall. I hope you feel better soon, but I had to laugh when you said you'd put your "nose thingy" on and slept all night - then found out you hadn't turned the generator on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I fight it, of course, but no matter what I do, I get sick. The best I have managed is to keep it mild and maybe NOT be sick all of October and not take too many meds. Right now, I am going to drink broth, take an allergy pill, and put a Hall's cough drop in my mouth and go to bed to rest. I doubt I will sleep.

      Delete
  2. isn't 110/73 considered normal blood pressure? The gash on Tommy's arm sounds painful - good idea on the piece of foam. I guess I can't comment on cleaning trash out of a car - we never leave any trash in our car. Even when going on a trip in the car, we get rid of trash at gas stations or rest stops. I have a friend who manages a car repair place. He has shared pics on occasion of inside of cars he works on. Yikes! LOL. Did Tommy find his credit card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      The 73 is a bit higher than usual. In the past 85/58 was normal for me. My friend took his car to be worked on, something under the dash. Later, I went there and the guy said my friend filled up a 50 barrel with trash and it took 2.5 hours. Mine has little but Tommy is horrified by it.

      The next day after I had searched two purses, he ordered another one. I found it two days later in the bag where I had put the old bulb, two receipts, and something else. It had slipped off the console where he placed it into the bag. He always puts things where they can slip off or tumble. He will listen after this or maybe not.

      Delete
  3. Hope you don't get sick this October, first time for everything, huh? I hope Tommy's arm wasn't painful. As for resistence...spouses. My spouse would say i am resistent and i would say HE is resistant! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      Really, he is the resistant one! I could write a book. He thinks I am trying to change him. He measures everything by how he did it at ten-years-old when his mother walked off. We are socialized all our life and change to fit situations and people.

      Delete
  4. Oh, i forgot to say how gratful i am that I read your post about the cuff lacking batteries. Gearing up for winter, i just ordered my DH an oximeter, hope we don't use it - but not sure what this winter and Covid will bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      lol... Batteries are important. I am still looking for an oximeter.

      Delete
  5. 110/73 is not high blood pressure. But a systolic of 85 is too low. I would give my right arm to have a systolic of 110. I take a ton of b/p meds and still hit around 160 systolic. I think it's time for another visit to the doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      It is high for me. I have had low blood pressure all my life. I was 8 1/2 months pregnant, had an argument with drunk upholsterer, ran up church steps, and drove like a bat out of hell to get to an appt with ob/gyn and my blood pressure was 90/60. I am still not sure what was up with that. Years later, an EMT told me they called 90/60 "comatose."

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear you are getting sick but it sounds like you get that way at this time each year. The truth is, so do I. Yet every time it happens I get "surprised", lol. I don't know anyone who is resistant like Tommy is except maybe a cousin of mine who lives far away. She gets stupid over the darndest things but I guess we are all different. Like Anne pointed out, 110/73 is not high blood pressure. In fact, it is optimal. Good for you. Oh, now I'm reading your reply. Wow, we are all so different. My blood pressure is usually in the low 120s over 80 and I am pleased with that because it had been higher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Since I take precautions this time of the year, October always surprises me, too! I have learned to work around Tommy. His blood sugar is usually getting low when he gets so upset. I can always tell when his blood sugar is getting low, but he has no clue. I know the bp is good, just not in 60s as it has been for years.

      Delete
  7. Please monitor your symptoms carefully. Google "COVID toe" to see if your toe pain fits that description. Your symptoms could be the virus. Maybe not, but please take care.

    My husband and I have contracted the virus. He had been to the doctor for a sinus infection - that doctor didn't even test him for COVID. Two days later, I had a sore throat and a fever one morning. I have a questionnaire I have to complete for work and even though my throat was no longer hurting when they called - the same day! - they encouraged me to get tested. Hubby went with me and we both tested positive.

    We wore the masks, washed our hands, used the hand sanitizers and we still got it. Thank God we're both generally healthy so we're only dealing with minor symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Oh dear, I hope you don't get worse! The toe has looked suspicious and is the reason I was tested along with other symptoms.

      Delete
    2. Oh! You were tested? Recently? Hope you and Tommy stay well. :)

      Delete
    3. How are you today? If you continue to have symptoms, please be tested again.

      Delete
    4. Better. This is the time of the year I always have these symptoms.

      Delete
  8. I prefer those bigger potatoes. It seems less work to peel one big potato than several small potatoes. We had mashed potatoes last night and they were so good. I mashed them with only chicken broth, salt and pepper.
    No answers for your 2 questions though ....
    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      Tommy likes them, too. I cooked the mashed potatoes in the pot that i had cooked zucchini and onions and olive oil. That made them delicious! I asked Tommy just now and he said it does seem like less peeling.

      Delete
  9. A clean car is a happy car and driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      The outside was spotless. The floors were very clean. He got lots from under the seat. I cannot bend down there. Neither can he. He lies with knees on ground and chest on edge of door. So, it is a heroic act when he does this for me. I did not even know he was doing it. I am happy and the car is smiling, too.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...