Sunday, October 4, 2020

Curtains and More Bargains

 The sheet I found when curb shopping has had the stains treated and washed in cold water. The sheet is white as snow. By the way, the sheet looked like a new sheet that got a slight stain on it when I found it. It is destined for two curtains in the bedroom Tommy is letting me use for sewing. I think I can also get a curtain for the half bath off that room. The window is bare. Three free curtains is a good price for curtains. I can sew. So, I should figure out how much money I save and apply that to cost of sewing machine and see how long it takes to save the price of the machine. 

You may remember I bought 1.5 yards of white satin-back crepe to throw over me in the car so the sun does not shine on me. Maybe not, but with the shiny side out, the sun is reflected. Well, Tommy managed to spill my coke on it. So, it was washed too without stain treatment and came out equally as white as the sheet. 

Miracle Whip was $2.50, so I bought 3 jars. I should go back and get more since that is about half the price it normally is. One package of Frozen Mac n Cheese was fifty cents, then it rang up for 98 cents. grrr  I found a vegetable brush for all the potatoes I have to scrub and peel. I have not had one since I moved here. AND, I found slotted serving spoons and got two for $1.50 each. 

I never eat corn on the cob. I have to cut it off by standing a half cob and using a knife to cut it off for eating. Now, corn fresh out of a boiling pot of water is hot, too hot for holding. I always used a corn cob holder, the kind that sticks into the corn, to hold the hot corn. Today, I found a set of two that stick into each other for $1. Now, I don't have to pay $5 for a whole set of plastic holders. Small/tiny bins that were $2/2 were now $1/2. So, I splurged and spent $1. My corn cob holders went to the dump. 

Instead of buying bins to put on the set of shelves, I am using boxes, flats and corrugated box top. I found a dark blue Duct tape with constellations. It will put that on the sides to hide the box and I can buy what fits exactly when I find it. No hurry.

Okay, it is 7:30 pm and dinner is late. The rest of the jar of spaghetti with the rest of the ground beef over toast or pasta will be dinner along with a salad. 

Have you ever made curtains from sheets or not-curtain material? Do you remake curtains?

6 comments:

  1. You don’t have to stand up the corn to cut off the kernels. You can do it with it lying on its side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,
      I have done that. But, it is much easier and safer to stand the cob on end. Since I lost all my kitchen stuff, I have tried stabbing the end with another knife or a fork.

      Delete
  2. Yes many times, right now I am going to make a new bed ruffle out of old curtains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Of course, you have! I did not think about you when I wrote this. Sheets of any kind make a good base for the dust ruffle.

      Delete
  3. Heavens! what does one do with all that Whip? A tiny jar for me lasts longer than its expiration date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I eat it. If it would not be socially unacceptable, I would eat it with a spoon. A tablespoonful or two each day in a sandwich makes it disappear. I am in the process of figuring how long it takes me to eat a jarful.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...