Saturday, October 3, 2020

Saturday--found a coupon

 The lost Ronco coupon  (2 cut out together) was in my purse, just hiding from me. And, Piggly Wiggly had the spaghetti I wanted in stock. I had two coupons that were for $0.75 off two Ronco pasta products. I came away with four 1-lb. packages of Ronco Spaghetti. Add 10% for store costs.

Minus 2 doubled $.75 coupons and I spent $1.07 for a pound of my favorite spaghetti as opposed to $1.82. Ronco spaghetti was going fast everywhere because of the coupons. Maybe I could have found it a few cents cheaper elsewhere, but only the Pig doubles coupons. Elsewhere was probably out of Ronco! And, I did not want to drive around, searching. 

I replaced/bought the three $.98 package of brownies that I took across the street when the father died. I decided to buy a cheap blueberry brownie mix to use with real blueberries. I should make myself some mixes to use when I am too tired to measure and mix instead of a commercial mix. sigh  

There was a time that I never used a mix for anything! I don't know if I have the energy to go back. 

On Friday, my temperature went from 100.8F to 96.5F. I still feel miserable now on Saturday morning. And, I am coughing a bit when I choke on whatever. 

Plans for Saturday carried over from Friday--

freeze 5 lbs tomatoes

rewash sheet from curb with more stain remover Done

plant kale starts

caramelize onions Done

put some food on shelves Done...just a bit

I decided I will use cardboard flats from food to hold cans/bottles on the shelves. I will glue or tape something pretty, some sort of paper or fabric to the edge that shows. It will work and is cheap until I find the perfect item instead of buying just anything. 

It is 2 pm and almost nothing has been done today, and I got up before 8 am. Tommy took my clothes out to the washing machine and then brought in the ones to hang and put the others in the dryer. I don't feel well, but it seems like I might be over the worst even though I am still very tired. 

He had for lunch low-sodium Campbell's soup given to us. He said he was going to have a half sandwich. He put peanut butter on a piece of bread. He told me he might eat a mustard sandwich. yuck I will have a can of tuna and a bit of MW.  

The food boxes have ended. There is some problem with the programs. One other place gave us two bags. One had chicken breasts and and two cans of Campbell's soup. The other had a baking hen and two cans of soup. So, I suppose all the fresh vegetables and fruit are no more for a while. Okay, no complaints here. 

We went for a drive to get out, about 45 minutes. Today is a beautiful cloudless, blue-sky day. Okay, saw one cloud, finally.

Tommy is watching Georgia Auburn and I am thawing ground beef in iron skillet full of boiling water. I have no idea what we will have...lol. And, it 6:51. Remember, he likes dinner at 7:30. That does not happen often and certainly not tonight.




10 comments:

  1. Don’t cook all the pasta at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      lol...and I have told Tommy not to do so. There is no danger there as he has never cooked pasta in his life.

      Delete
  2. We have one more free food box in Oct. Then we were told that the money has run out. I have enjoyed the free food to add to our pantry. We got a lot of frozen chicken and cheese. This will help with winter meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this one church can continue, not sure. We got enough chicken to last two weeks. Tommy had one of the cans of vegetarian soup and was so happy for something "different". Yes, this will all help with winter meals. I have so many apples, potatoes, and onions to put up.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy hearing your food plans. I find such a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Summer we have been participating in a County/State funded program called "Great Plates" The goals of the program are two fold. It is to provide work to keep restaurants & other food services afloat during the pandemic and provide meals for Seniors. Particularly high risk seniors. Each morning we each receive a delivery of 3 meals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Each day's meals are well balanced. They accommodate dietary restrictions. We were fortunate to be assigned to a catering company. Without events such as weddings it would be difficult to stay afloat. Right now the program runs through the 16th but there is rumor that it will be extended through the end of the year.

    This program was so helpful when I was first injured. Now that my back is better cooking is not as difficult as it was in the late Spring. I am thankful to have been able to participate in this wonderful program.

    I mailed you a postage stamp catalogue. It should arrive early this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good program for all. I can imagine how you really needed it. Did John enjoy it? Having nutritional needs met and dietary restrictions is something most places cannot do. It is sort of one type meal each person gets. I hope you mailed it to the Hueytown address.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...