Saturday, October 31, 2020

Three Things Today

Today, I wanted to get up early and get started early. I had Tommy wake me at 9 am, and I got up and 9:30 and was ready to go at 10 am. Tommy is not accustomed to me feeling like going out that early...lol. So, he was rushing to put on pants. We had three places to go.

First, I needed to get some essential oils and rat poison. The other stuff only kills rats and mice, not everything that eats the poison or the mouse.  Animals cannot stand orange smell. So, I am going to take caps from water bottles, stuff a cotton ball into it and soak with orange essential oil that has other scents-- sweet orange, Spearmint, lavender, Ylang Ylang. Okay, I smelled it and it is strong! 

Last night, with a new potato and more of the Ratx, nothing came and ate. I am so disappointed. We will have to get someone to stuff steel wool into the hole. I have heard it does not work because things will just gnaw through the steel wool. 

Second, we needed more cups. I did get those and hope Tommy will soon consider the cost and agree to a dishwasher. I can hope. 

While there, I passed the Halloween dish towels. They were fifty cents each, so I got ten, just like I did last year. We use these freely. He asks for one when he is eating anything drippy. The way he has to lean back in his chair, not able to sit up fully, he drops stuff. So, this works, is cheap, and now we have more. While I was there, I got two potholders. For $0.50 each, they are a deal. 

I use these to put on the counter to drain dishes and another to dry dishes. They are handy. I got the towels and dish towels that are just fall themed and not bat or witch pictures. These even have mushrooms so a little retro looking. I don't think they are pretty, just clean and utilitarian. 

Third, we wanted to go to a newly opened food box giveaway. The other two have closed. These boxes are getting better! Thankfully, there are no goodies. The salty chopped chicken and the hotdogs are the only things I don't like receiving. Well, I love hotdogs and do not need them. 

A woman came to the car and volunteered we could have four boxes. She must have noticed our hesitancy and immediately told us to get it and give to neighbors. So, we got four and gave a whole one to young single mother in the neighborhood, the one whose father died. Total from 3 boxes we kept~~

  • 3 one-lb chunks of sharp white cheddar cheese with bacon  
  • 15 lbs potatoes
  • 9 lbs apples
  • 9 lbs onion red and white
  • 3 tubs plain yogurt, 32 oz.
  • 3 three-lbs bags chopped chicken
  • 3 two-pound packages of bun-length hotdogs
  • 3 overgrown cucumbers
  •  6 tubs cottage cheese, 32 oz.
  • 3 gallons milk  
I doubt I want the sharp cheese, but I will try it. Tommy loves it. I didn't know he likes plain yogurt or cottage cheese, but he does, as do I. I will freeze the chicken in 2 cup portions. The hotdogs are in the freezer in bags containing 6 hotdogs each. They lie flat with only 6 hotdogs and will make three meals per bag. We may have enough hotdogs to last a year, eating them sparingly. He has all the milk in the small refrogerator freezer.

There is too much salt in the chopped chicken, so I am going to try washing it off or cooking it and discarding the water. It is not healthy at all. 

We have a box of food to take and give to someone in a parking lot. When the Auburn game is over, we will go. I need a nap but need to freeze the chicken. 

We have two tiny gift bags of candy and soap bubbles for the children across the street and that will be our Halloween! 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

4 comments:

  1. We spray the orange oil Pledge furniture polish around to keep the bugs at bay, ants especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I was trying to think of orange scented stuff, but nothing came to mind since I cannot use orange scents. However, orange is a good thing right now. thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...