Sunday, November 1, 2020

Tommy's Birthday, Ballots and Pandemic Halloween

 Have you ever been confused? A month off confused? I know Tommy's birthday is in December. Yet, I keep hurrying to get things for his birthday this next week which is not December.  In the car Saturday, I asked him what he wanted for his birthday--birthday brownies, cupcake, cake and what kind. He said just ice cream. Well, I may make birthday brownies for myself! When I asked him what kind of ice cream, he said "homemade." What kind? Something with fruit in it. No chocolate, I ask myself? Apparently not. I think I will make vanilla to go with my brownies. 

The ice cream freezer makes good ice cream, but not with fruit pieces in it. The fruit is little pieces of rocks and so cold I cannot even taste the fruit. I think I will thaw the gallon of strawberries someone gave me and use that over the ice cream. So, this is early planning. I would never have frozen strawberries in a gallon bag, but I do not mind receiving them! Maybe I can have strawberries on brownie, topped with ice cream or something like that. Or, I can stir in blueberries after the cream is frozen. 

I even ordered one of his small gifts from Amazon so it would definitely be here in time. I have been planning for Dec. 9 for this whole last week! 

We took the box of food to a food store parking lot and offered it to a woman. She told us she had a daughter with five children who needed money. The woman said she only had $30, but would give it to her. She was very appreciative, thanking us over and over. 

We pulled out and I had Tommy go back. I told the woman where we got food today. I suggested maybe her daughter could get some food there. She said her daughter was so busy with five kids in school, so she was not sure she could. I told her that if she would give me her phone number, I would call every week when I had food. She happily gave me her number. 

I have been fretting about whether my ballot arrived and whether it was accepted. Several times each day I have gone to the site to check. Finally, Sunday at 1 am my ballot was registered. It feels like Christmas and my birthday rolled into one. All this unnecessary talk of ballots being held up in the mail and people's ballots not accepted for a multitude of reasons has drained me. 

Halloween night, we had to go get a vital med before Walgreen's closed at 6 pm. I saw a huge pumpkin down a side street and we stopped to gawk on the way back. Then, I wanted to take pictures and had to go home and get my camera. 

One home had the fire pit out front with a roaring fire and three people sitting, waiting. We talked to one guy there.  Lots of people were out and about, all in costume, before 6 pm.

One house had maybe 18 people out front, adults and children, all in costume. A lawn tractor appeared to have dug up skeletons. There were two skeleton dogs chasing a skeleton cat up a tree. Of course, the dogs had the cat treed. I am not sure how they did it, but looking at a window, it appeared we could see inside. There was a skeleton jazz band playing. One skeleton was playing a saxophone. And, a skeleton was swinging in a swing in a tree.  It was a fun looking house. I asked to take pictures and everyone sort of posed for me. 

That ride made the day's end,  a good Halloween for us. Then, we came home and ate the last six Snicker minis. Dinner was great. I had a dinner for one--chicken breast stuffed with cheese and new potatoes. I opened a can of green beans and there was enough for both of us sharing the dinner for one. Halloween 2020 is gone now. It seemed the children and adults were having a good time. I just hope they stayed safe.

The memories of our decorations will remain. Now, I will start on a graveyard for next Halloween. Okay, maybe I will wait until next summer to work on it, just gathering the supplies for now.

Would you describe this 2020 Halloween as a good Halloween memory? If you mailed in your ballot, have you checked to see if it has been accepted? 

18 comments:

  1. I took our mail in ballots to the courthouse in person, but I did also check to make sure it got recorded as received and they did. I also checked and my mom, who mailed in her ballot, was received. Well - better a month early than late, haha. I tend to forget and then all of a sudden the birthday is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I wanted to take it to courthouse, but that would be too hard and there were no boxes for ballots, so I opted to mail. It's great we can check online. Yes, I supposed I am well-prepared now. I told him not to touch any packages since his present was in one. So, I will wrap it as soon as I get it and let it sit.

      Delete
  2. We're both planning to be at polls when they open Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Daughter, Son in Law, and Grandson went to friends homes and the kids did a little trick or treating, at close neighbors homes. I got such a chucle out of my daughter's Halloween costume. She is expecting our 2nd grandchild in very early January, or maybe late December. Her costume was a black sweatshirt and pants with a skeleton screen printed on the front and inside the skeleton's tummy area was printed a little baby skeleton with a big pink bow on its skull. It was cuter than it sounds. I was glad my grandson got to be with a bunch of other kids for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      That is a cute-sounding costume! Yes, the kids wanted something for Halloween. I just hope they all stayed safe, not just yours.

      Delete
  4. No Halloween for me this year. I didn't even get out my decorations. i am getting ready for Christmas though since I'm not hosting Thanksgiving. I haven't decided about a tree yet- I usually pick out a real tree from a local place and get someone to help me put it in the stand. I did see where Lowe's was delivering trees so maybe I'll do that although I'm not fond of box stores.I am nervous about the election...I feel DT won't concede and it will be sometime before we know who is president. I dropped my ballot off and it has been counted! My daughter even voted early because she feared on election day the Trumpers here would all come without masks and the lines would be long. Have you planned Thanksgiving yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      The decorations we had made for a festive bit for us. We needed it. I am going to be silly and make a turkey decoration. More about that later. Maybe you can find someone who will wear a mask to put a tree up if you have it delivered. I, too, am nervous about the election. Good for your daughter! Well, I have not planned it as such, just going to try for something.

      Delete
  5. The KY State Board of Elections sends email confirmation when the ballots are received. Entering an email address was part of the request process. Hubby and I have both received confirmation.

    Yes, this was a great Halloween. We took our grands (6, 5, and almost 2) to a small party across the street on Friday night. That family wasn't going trick or treating so had just a few kids over so theirs could still play and enjoy.

    Saturday, they came and got some candy from us, other neighbors came over and got candy, and the grands came and spent some time with us. It was a wonderful night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I don't remember if we were asked for our email or not. But, it is a good idea. I could look it up online, so I did--about 20 times each day.

      I think for little kids getting candy and wearing costumes where people can see is the fun part for kids. So, you all covered it all.

      Delete
  6. Inside the house the food and decorations were stunning. We only got 26 kids - normally we get 50-100. It was a disappointment but it was better than none.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urspo,
    If you are disappointed, think how much the kids would have been disappointed without you and others sharing your decorations, candy, and the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you were able to help the woman in the parking lot with groceries for her daughter. I don't mean to be critical but I couldn't understand why her daughter couldn't go pick up food. Even if she had to plop all five children in the car for an hour, free food is free food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Her remark irked me, but I don't know what she is going through. The mother said she had five children and getting them to school was so hard. I don't know if she meant online or physical. Actually, she did not say "getting them to school." She said something about school being hard, so not sure. I figure we will be left cooling our heels in the parking lot, so that will annoy me. But, I suppose I should not borrow trouble and see what happens. It is hard to know what is going on with the woman. Maybe it would disrupt her nap. However, if she can get food through us, the kids need it. If she does not live in a place we do not want to go, I may suggest we just take it to her. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  9. We voted early at one of the sites that were available in our county. We hit it just at the right time, lines were short and we only waited 15 minutes. We had friends that waited for over an hour when they went to vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      I heard people on the news talking about waiting for ten hours! You did hit it at the right time. Voting early seems the way to go now. I am glad you did and did not have long to wait. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I bought one bag of Snickers minis just in case we had truck-or-treaters ( last couple of years we haven’t had any) but once agai we didn’t have any. So I have to eat all the Snickers minis because my wife prefers Milky Ways. I couldn’t find any Milky Ways at our Kroger. I hate it when that happens.

      We took our absentee ballots back in perso and I saw a few days later that they had been accepted. Out of nearly one million absentee ballots returned in Georgia, only 1,800 were not accepted, less than 2/10ths of 1 per cent. I think all the fear among the public has been drummed up by “the other side” no matter which side that happens to be.

      Delete
    3. rhymes,
      So, you took one for the team and got rid of the snickers? I had not heard those statistics. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...