Sunday, January 10, 2021

Sunday Dishes and Cinderella

 As you may remember, Sunday was to be dedicated to washing dishes and cooking. I was going to cook hamburger meat, chicken, and ground pork. 

Well, most of the dishes are washed and the hamburger meat was cooked and chopped for spaghetti. The chicken was still rock hard and I suppose I did not put out more ground pork. 

We were bad last night, staying up until 5 am to watch The Glass Slipper on tv with Leslie Caron. This was a wonderful movie and artful retelling of Cinderella. It was well after 5 am when we got to bed. I told Tommy to wake me if I were not awake by noon. It took me about 3 minutes to pass out. I awoke at 10 am to go to the bathroom and then slept soundly until he woke me. I would have slept until 2 pm if he had not come in and called me. 

Before I went to bed, I reminded him of the dishes we were going to wash on Sunday morning. He agreed. Well, Sunday, he was watching things on TV and I hate to have to beg him or demand. Finally I assured him we were going to wash dishes. Also, we needed to get out of the house, so we got free ice cream from BK and sat in the park, after which we drove around until 4:30 or so. 

When we came into the house, I went straight to the kitchen and told him we were doing dishes. Well, 20 minutes later, I had to come into the living room and ask him. He said he did not know I was washing dishes. Ack! 

While he was finishing the dish drying, I put ground beef on to cook in a too-small skillet. I was out of the mood to convert jarred spaghetti with onions and garlic and other things. So, I suggested we just eat the crumbled brown meat and a salad. He was perfectly okay with that. I put cheese on top of my hot meat. It was like eating a cheeseburger with lettuce and tomato with a fork. And, it was delicious. So, tomorrow night I can make pasta and sauce for another meal. 

Another reason I did not make spaghetti (actually, the main reason) was that the one pot for pasta had burned bottom of cabbage so I could not boil pasta. He spent an hour on that pot. So, time was late, too. 

Monday, the temperature won't be above freezing for most of the day, if any. We will not go out at all. 

I need to number all these loose pages and put them in a 2" D-ring binder and read every page for evidence I need and apply those little page markers for the attorney. I must wash my hair. I really need to cut it. But, getting my hair washed and getting evidence prepared are the two most important things. We will see. 

Have you ever seen The Glass Slipper with Leslie Caron? I think I saw it for streaming somewhere. I highly recommend it. There was a longish dance sequence right in the middle that was not unbearable. Tommy even enjoyed it. Leslie Caron was thick in the waist and thighs, not emaciated like actresses today. It was refreshing to see she was cute, sexy, and acceptable just like she was. 

20 comments:

  1. Linda, I thought you guys were getting a dishwasher. Has that plan been put on the back burner? Maybe I missed a blog post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I will answer that in Tuesday post. Long story, but the answer is yes, getting a dishwasher.

      Delete
  2. For burnt on food, put a dryer sheet in the bottom of the pot/casserole dish and add hot water. Let it sit until the water cools and it should be easy to wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny J,
      Thanks. I have never used dryer sheets. Good information to know.

      Delete
  3. Linda I've missed some posts and was wondering what you are gathering evidence for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I have not posted that and won't until everything is settled.

      Delete
  4. I have not seen or heard of that movie. Sounds like it would be good. I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I had not either. But, I think you will enjoy it. Let me know after you see it.

      Delete
  5. for some days now I cannot get in to comment via my laptop; I am writing this on the work computer. I hope to fix this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not seen the movie either but I do love Leslie Caron

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know it got that cold in Alabama-though in January, I think anything about 15 is warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      It gets down in 20s regularly for a few weeks and it goes into 30s some. Once, about ten years ago, the temp was -9 and my chickens lived on top of Rubbermaid box under a tarp. They could go inside the Rubbermaid box, but did not.

      I am in the middle of the state. In the northern part is a ski resort where it does get colder.

      Delete
  8. Dryer sheets work well for burned food on pots and pans, sprinkle sheets with water and let it stand overnight. Also Dawn Powerwash spray really makes clean up much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,
      I don't have dryer sheets and never use Dawn Powerwash. I have skin sensitivities so won't bring it in house.

      Delete
  9. If I am not mistaken you can purchase fragrance fee dryer sheets which should be no more of a problem for your skin sensitivities than the other products used for scrubbing baked on crud from cooking pots, especially if you wear gloves. The Dawn Powerspray is their original scent, perhaps a little pricy but IMO well worth it since it makes the dreaded daily dishwashing chore a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,
      I doubt you know for sure what affects my skin, because I never know. But, I am not investing in a maybe right now. I never use dryer sheets and rarely use the dryer.

      Delete
    2. Fragrance free dryer sheets are an amazing idea! Much more cost effective than Tommy spending an hour scrubbing one pot. With the dryer sheet, the burned on food slides right off, with minimal if any manual scrubbing. I highly recommend you consider trying this - both to save time and to keep your pots and pans in better condition. Additionally, if I remember correctly, you stated you preferred the original Dawn. Why would you not be open to trying the original Dawn in a new format? You said you won't bring it in the house, so I'm confused as to how you would know that it would be an issue with your skin?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...