Friday, March 19, 2021

Just Damage; Easter Plans

Wednesday, we did not leave the house. It was rainy all day, so no drive or picking up meds, just staying home. Plus, there was a tornado watch from about 3 pm until 2 or 3 am over the whole area. Then, individual warnings were issued with the attendant polygons. Or, something like that. I had no sleep the night before, so I took a good looong nap. Tommy said the tornado sirens went off a couple of times and he was afraid they would wake me. No fear, I was out for good. 

We did not wear our St. Patrick's Day pins for each other, so he put them back in the six pack I found for 50 cents. Dinner was not St. Pat Day food. I baked chicken with potatoes and carrots, all sprinkled with Italian seasoning. Plus, I cooked the cabbage on the stove. We thought it was delicious. 

St Patrick was born in Scotland to Roman parents, so Italian seasoning is not off at all. He was Italian, not Irish. 

As for myself, I was so happy to have chicken breasts again. It has been about two weeks, and I miss it. More chicken is thawing so I can cook more on at least Saturday. 

As it turns out, there few injuries or loss of life from the day of tornadoes, thankfully. I think there were 27 tornado warnings, but the powers be have not sorted it out as to how many were multiple sightings of individual tornadoes.  There was an incredible amount of home damage for an EF1 tornado. 

UPDATE: In five states, there was only one death and it was in Mississippi. 

My few Easter items are coming out.  I have already bought Tommy his chocolate Easter bunny wrapped in gold foil. He allows me to have an ear so neither of us will be eating so much. It really makes him happy. He says it reminds him of his childhood Easters.

Have you started putting out Easter stuff? Or, are you still in the planning stage? What are your customary Easter treats? I really don't do much decorating.  


20 comments:

  1. I'll let my daughter help get a few springy and Easter things out next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Easter seems so soon, so we don't have much time to get things out. Or, so it seems to me.

      Delete
  2. I read that people have PTSD from so many tornadoes in recent years. I'm glad you all mad it through unharmed. No Easter plans here yet. I need to be thinking about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I can imagine it is so, but had not read that. I have had a two tornadoes tear up my house! But, I was no more fearful afterwards. However, I do respect tornadoes.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear there wasn't a lot of tornado damage. I can imagine the fear of having to live through and experience a bad one let alone several of them. I don't think I'm making a special feast for Easter this year. Just too plain tired and want to keep on working on my various projects. Every time I have to stop for something, it takes time away. Of course I will celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord but maybe not go all out for the meal. Perhaps just a simple chicken roast. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      There was much damage! But, only one death and that was in Mississippi. It certainly causes anxiety when the watches pop up all over and then change as the tornadoes or possibility moves with the weather. No special feast here. Tommy hates eggs, so egg coloring will happen on a small scale so i can make potato salad when he also hates...lol. But, we will have food that is good, even if I have to cook it the week before and have leftovers. I don't do a religious celebration. Simple and chicken is good.

      Delete
    2. Oic, I mean "death", not "damage".

      Delete
  4. I decorated for Easter and took down ST paddy's today as my brain was foggy and my nose was so runny I did not want to sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Is that from the vaccine? I hope your brain fog goes away soon.

      Delete
  5. Looks like I am up at 3 AM today ugh. I went to bed early, slept great but now am wide awake. I usually decorate for Easter right after Valentine's Day but I didn't this Covid year and won't get out anything. I have some beautiful Easter baskets too- oh, well, net year. I did order candy from See's in San Francisco and have had 2 chocolate eggs. It's Reubens again today and then I'm going to eat some frozen soups from the freezer. It sure didn't take me long to fill my new fridge/freezer up. I need a small freezer for the garage like you bought. I love potato salad and don't think I've ever met someone who didn't. My oldest daughter does not care for celery but I always added it and she just pushed it aside- guess it would be harder to do with eggs! Have you ever made German potato salad- it's quite good IMO? Maybe I'll try going back to bed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I am usually trying to go to sleep at 3 am! I went to bed at 12:30 and awoke at 4:30 and cannot go back to sleep. I am going to hang plastic eggs from his little tree out front. Inside--not sure. I love Sees, raspberry and chocolate. This freezer is only about 15 sq ft, but plenty large. I filled mine right up, too. If you are going to put it in the garage, make sure it is one made for outdoors. I have never made German potato salad. How do you make it? I love celery in potato salad! He is the only person I know of who does not like potato salad in some form. Eggs would have to be put in a blender. He said he would try it if he could not see them or feel them in his mouth. And, it cannot be cold. ??? I have had German Potato Salad maybe 50 years ago and I liked it. It is going on 7 am, and maybe I can sleep a bit now.

      Delete
  6. I was very happy the damage in our state was much less than anticipated, since they predicted it would be much worse than it actually was.I looked around the yard after it was over and only had a few small twigs on the ground. The only thing I lost were the beautiful blossoms on my redbud trees. It looked like it fuchsia snow on the patio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      The pictures of the homes that were hit were devastating. At least people left or just were home. The neighbor's tulip tree lost many petals. The ground was beautiful even if the tree has less fullness. Redbud blossoms are beautiful.

      Delete
  7. we are still in Lent.
    I've learned Someone does not care for exchanging baskets, so we will probably not do anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides Tommy's chocolate bunny, we will have dyed eggs. He won't eat them, but likes to see them. Not much happening here.

      Delete
    2. I cannot remember when I last dyed Easter eggs. I enjoyed doing them. Someone doesn't eat eggs so I can't do many as I must eat them all.

      Delete
    3. Urspo,
      Tommy won't eat them, either. I can boil a half dozen as usual and will eat them myself.

      Delete
  8. We only decorate for Christmas. I think I have some decorative eggs I could put out if I was feeling really motivated. We usually fill eggs with change & candy, & hide them for the kids. They are teens, but finding money is still fun for them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HP,
      I am hanging eggs from a tree in the front yard, not much, but a little. Who gets too old for money and chocolate? I am sure they enjoy the pleasures as they did when little children.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...