Monday, April 26, 2021

Ten-Minute Dinner, Chair Rehab Continued

 We came home on Saturday and I needed a nap. So, I took a one hour rest/nap, never slept. I told Tommy to let me sleep until 7:30 and I would have dinner done in 15 minutes after I got up. Well, I had dinner on the table in ten minutes. I sliced and heated a chicken breast, used Asian slaw mix and made regular cole slaw the night before, and heated a can of green beans in the microwave along with the chicken. I had two-thirds of the beans because Tommy does not want half the can. If I do say so myself, dinner was delicious. So, leftover chicken, leftover slaw, and a can were dinner. 

Sunday night, I put a Stir Fry bag of vegetables along with the tiny packet of sauce, another two tbsp of olive oil, and two tbsp of water into a cooking bag along with two healthy hotdogs and put it all in the oven for 30 minutes. We each had a hotdog and he ate most of the stirfry vegetables. This was a 30-minute dinner with 25 minutes of that in the oven.

The two bags of produce were very fresh and bought at a good price before the expiration date. The chicken was the last of the expensive package I bought instead of eating out. I do have one more frozen breast. The hotdogs had been open for about a week. So, things were eaten and the refrigerator is not so stuffed. I can see in there again. 

I have a whole chicken I will put in a cooking bag with potatoes and onions for three days eating this week. And, two boneless, skinless chicken breasts will go into the cooking bag, maybe with the whole chicken, maybe not.  There is a cabbage I will cook. There will be other vegetables, maybe peas for Tommy. A can will do for him for two nights. We still have bananas, apples, strawberries, oranges, and lots of canned fruit. Plus, onions, potatoes, plantain, cabbage. 

We woke at 7 am Saturday morning to go somewhere. The cable was out, so we could not determine whether to go or stay according to the forecast and storm locations. The cable was not restored until afternoon on Sunday. We were very annoyed to say the least. It seems the storms had disrupted the services of Spectrum in multiple places in the area. 

I had Tommy take one of the free chairs we rescued from a trash heap. He put it outside, unscrewed the top and ripped off the upholstery and the original upholstery. Now, I can have new bottoms cut. I called a friend who is building a house and he assured me he had plenty of scraps. So, the chair restoration started in the fall, resumes. I will have to buy padding and upholstery for the four chairs. Everything else was or will be free. I think I have padding, maybe not. Hopefully, I can find a remnant for the upholstery. 

The Hosta I bought last Wednesday is in a 7 inch black pot. I watered it when I brought it in and just sat it on the floor. It is thriving. I suppose it thinks this is a shady tree. There is a shaft of sunlight that comes in the fanlight in the front door and cast a bright light right beside it. I have never heard of Hosta as a houseplant. But, I suppose this Hosta will be for a bit. 

I am not a houseplant person, but this will be here for a bit. Do you have houseplants? What kind? Do you have a piece that is in rehab at your house? 

6 comments:

  1. We have a small bamboo near the sink and an aloe plant also in the kitchen. It seems that other houseplants last no longer than about a year for us, even though our outside flower gardens (and vegetable garden) flourish!

    I have a step for getting on the bed that I'd like to re-cover. He didn't realize I'd like it so much that I'd want to keep it forever after my back surgery last year. The covering he put on it originally is a sort of felt and attracts all kinds of dirt and particles. We just changed curtains in the master bath, so am thinking of repurposing the old curtains into a new covering for this step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I did have an aloe! Not anymore. I am not a houseplant person because they die and my allergies do not like dirt and mold spore in the house.

      In my old house, I would have something to repurpose. I have been wracking my brain as to what I could use on the chairs. The felt does sound like a pain for collecting dirt and stuff.

      Delete
  2. I am getting ready to recover our dining chairs. I have picked up a couple of fabric pieces but must admit I really don't love any of them. I still have a length of the fabric that is currently on the chairs. If it proves to be enough I will use it.

    I have orchids in my kitchen windows. I buy orchids because their flowers last so long. They last more than a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I am not sure what I will use. Maybe something with blue in it. I have nothing that I can think of. I have been looking at orchids lately. I am not sure I can get one home safely. They look like something I could break, the stem, that is.

      Delete
  3. I have plants inside and adding more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      This one is all I will have and even it has to go. I am sure the plants look quite nice in your home.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...