Thursday, August 5, 2021

August 5th Birthdays

 My father was born in 1916. He would  be 105 today! However, I have heard it was 1915. My brother was born on Daddy's birthday. Mama had a C section, so I thought she had requested the date. She told me she never even mentioned it was Daddy's birthday because she wanted the decision on surgery date made by the doctor so she would not feel responsible if anything went wrong. Wise woman.  

She let the four of us older children choose his name. We loved Anthony but did not like Tony for a nickname which eventually he would surely be called. So, we searched until we found something we liked to put with Anthony. We liked Mark, so ended up with Mark Anthony. I was only thirteen-years-old, so was not thinking Shakespeare or anything, obviously. Mama later said she was on pain killers and the name sounded familiar in her fog. 

I saw a sight today that I have never seen as long and as closely as I have been watching these hummingbirds--one pooped as it was sitting at the feeder. Now, I wonder if the ground is covered with hummingbird poop underneath the feeder! I do stand on the landing on the ramp where it makes a turn when I remove and replace the feeders. And, the feeders are over the grass. So, maybe I won't step in it where they all poop. 

Mealtimes have been good with scrambled eggs ready to eat and sliced chicken breast. For one thing--I don't have to think about what to eat or cook. And, on a day like today when somehow I hurt my knee again, it is just physically easier. 

Tommy cut my hair late this afternoon. It looks great. He only cut off about 3/4 inch, but that was split ends. The hair from my crown is almost to the length of my hair in the back. I don't need my hair all one length, so I suppose I need to layer it. Layering my hard is hard on my shoulders, but the look is worth the pain. And, I don't have to layer it so often. 

I have an appointment with a new doctor on Friday morning. A new doctor is always stress-inducing for me. At least I am going to a doctor where there is no stress getting a wheelchair and someone to push me.

9 comments:

  1. My dad's birthday is August 5th (1940)
    There's nothing better than a haircut to help a person feel freshened up (well, maybe a shower)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie,
      He is a bit older than my father...lol. I feel so much better with about a half inch cut. Imagine how good it will feel to layer it.

      Delete
  2. I had to laugh at your mom's comment that she "thought the name Mark Anthony sounded familiar"! That's anaesthesia for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Yes, she was just too tired and sleepy to figure it out.

      Delete
  3. Reading about your wheel chair issues, is incentive to try and keep as active as long as I can. You stay busy despite your pain-good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      This all started with a fall in physical therapy for a back injury when I took a Christmas job at Dillard's. I kept going and did almost all I did before. Then, the injured knee kept making me have accidents, and it made my back problems worse. I just cannot believe it is all ending up this way. I do try to stay busy and plan to one day get myself back.

      Delete
  4. All docs is quacks; good luck with this one!

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...