Friday, January 21, 2022

Recliners!

This was an ordeal! It became apparent on Thursday night very late that Tim was not coming nor was he going to inform anyone. So, we worked on and off until 2 am to get things cleared out. I am talking paper and just plain crap! Then, we started at 9 am. Well, that is when I told Tommy to call me, I think I finally dragged out of the bed at 9:30 am. 

They moved the other two recliners to the road. I gave them both $5 for doing so. The guys had to put the chairs together. They moved the chair I got last week and the thing does not fit! I got it on sale with an "as is" tag on it. Otherwise, I would try to trade it. I told you the other chair was big and square. It has to sit cattycorner and it takes up lots of room. But, at least if we have company. there is a third chair in this room. Then, with the ottoman in front of the square chair, the whole setup is massive! 

A room should have some moveable chairs. But, there is no way this room will hold one. I had a couple of massive chairs, but I had a massive house. 

When you come to visit me, I will remove the quilts from the recliners, promise. But for now, mine stays covered to thwart the crumb gremlin. I remarked to Tommy a few days ago that he could use his old quilt to cover his chair. He was loud and insulting. But, after the guys left, he went to get a sandwich from the kitchen. When he got to his chair with a drink and sandwich, he struggled to get to the quilt to cover his chair. Then, he worked to cover the arms well. So, I suppose he does want to keep it from getting gross. 

We live in these chairs! So, I hate to have them get so grimy and nasty. 

Before Christmas, I put four pieces of Christmas chocolate in snack bags and only ate one bag each day. Well, I lost them and had no candy for about a week before Christmas. Okay, today I found them in a pink plastic bin. So, I had to pay Tommy back two bags and we are eating Christmas candy--Kisses, Cella Chocolate Covered Cherries, and Hershey's Miniatures. Now, I will consume one bag instead of just gobbling down all the bags at once. 

I asked the guy to find my two shoes-- one red sandal and one black sandal. I found two knives that slipped off the table and somehow ended up under the table. Suck a mess. But, we are on the way to curing all the ills in here. 

Okay, got one more thing to do today and it is out of the house. So, gotta go. We are happy with seemingly a room full of new furniture. Only twice since I left home have I ever had so much brand new furniture. I prefer second hand. But, this is an adventure! Hopefully, he will be amenable to more change, and not costly ones. 

Do you get much new furniture? Do you like new furniture? What is your favorite style of furniture? What are your favorite pieces you have or have ever had. 

15 comments:

  1. Nice to get new comfy chairs! I'm not loving my new living room set. They look nice, but not very good quality. The recliner is pretty comfortable. The couch and loveseat average. But, they look nice being new and with just the 2 of us, they should last awhile longer, until I can afford something better quality. at the time we just had too much money going to get the house completed, I couldn't spend thousands on a new living room set. I think I would like to try real leather next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I know what you mean about looking nice but not being so comfortable. Of course, I have sat in very expensive chairs that were not comfortable. You are right about two people not wearing it out so soon. Leather would be very nice, especially with your house.

      Delete
  2. I rarely get new furniture. Mine is always second hand or given to me. I love to get new furniture, but I doubt I do again for years and years. I want a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first new furniture I have had since 1971! I would like it better if I could have antiques that I could have recovered to my liking. I want a picture, too. Send me one. OH! you mean you want a picture from me? Good Luck. Teach me how to send one...lol.

      Delete
  3. So glad you got the furniture all moved in. I haven't purchased anything new for quite some time. The last new purchases were appliances like washer/dryer and refrigerator. Before that mattresses and box springs and sofa and side chair. I used to prefer antiques but after a few issues requiring maintenance I now would buy new or 2nd hand and new to me but not antiques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      Believe me, mine are not fine antiques, just beautiful and cheap enough and made before so long ago the workmanship if beautiful.

      Delete
    2. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant I used to buy antiques. I live just off of what used to be known as Antique Row but now there are very few antique places on the street. I no longer buy antiques or want any and have slowly gotten rid of a few pieces. Perhaps if I had a big home in the countryside I would still want some but in the city space is limited.

      Delete
  4. We only buy new furniture when what we have breaks. Since couches don't break as easily as recliners, we have had the same couch for 30 years! I have a slip cover on it, but the upholstery on it is still in good shape. The slipcover is washable and keeps the dust and any odd stains off of it. We never allowed the dog or cat on it except for a couple of times for picture taking.

    Our kids used prefer to sit on the floor in front of the tv instead of the couch. Then when they got older, they preferred being in their rooms. They each had a TV and our son had a computer,our daughter didn't care to have a computer.

    Our wood dining table is 47 years old. When we bought it and the matching chairs. The whole set was $199. We were newlyweds and that was a whole lot of money to us. We still have the table,but have had to replace the chairs.

    I am funny about furniture. I get sentimental about it. Plus, now with my sore leg, etc, I really dislike furniture shopping in stores, and I have to sit in a chair to see if it's comfortable, so that rules out catalog shopping for furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I would love to have a slipcover and sofa to put the slipcover.

      My kids like to sit on the floor and up close.

      My wood table and six chairs was bought in 1967, so over 50-years-old. We paid $99 for the table and four chairs, but purchased two more. So far, it is all in good shape.

      I get sentimental about furniture, too. So, the loss of so much of it, and the best stuff hurts me still since it was lost in the house.

      Delete
  5. We bought new (dark brown leather) furniture when we bought this house 10 years ago, and it was exciting, after having used furniture for so long. Last year, we gave it away and bought new, light fabric, convertible furniture and a couple of small matching green recliners and I was just as excited. We hope to have this furniture forever, so I don't see ever buying new furniture again.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am as much excited about having a recliner as having new furniture. New furniture is exciting! I hope your present furniture lasts as long as you need it to last.

      Delete
  6. I have tended to get new furniture, only because it seemed hard to find second hand. Now it's so easy to find anything at all online, I would never buy new again.
    I try to keep a quilt on the couch because the dogs sleep on it but it takes continual adjusting and re-adjusting, trying to keep quilts on a recliner would drive me nuts but it's a good thing to do.
    Enjoy your new room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      The secret to keeping a uilt on the recliner as it goes up and down, is to not have the quilt too smooth. That way the quilt is already wrinkled. Otherwise, it would be pulled out of place continually.

      We are very much enjoying the recliners, especially me! I have not been in any place to find used furniture.I need to find a place to shop for used.

      Delete
  7. Most of the furniture in my house we have had for many years. My mother in law usually has good taste in furniture and when she had money she spent it and changed furniture like some people change their clothes. She would offer it to us and of course I would take it. To me as long as it is comfortable and looks nice I am on board for that! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...