Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Blame it On Me | Allergies

 Wednesday, I was supposed to get my teeth cleaned. Well, since my asthma is bothering me and I cough, I figured I would not be able to keep my mouth open. The coughs come on suddenly and it feels like my throat is closing. Plus, the tech probably does not want to sit that close to someone coughing in her face. So, I canceled.

I rescheduled and made a few other appointments I need elsewhere. A really cute hummingbird feeder allowed large insects into the reservoir. So, I took it back and found another I like and cheaper, so I got two. Thankfully, I found an electric cart and could shop--fertilizer, two brackets, watering wand to help Tommy, the two feeders, Miracle Gro, and plastic to put under coir baskets. 

At 5 pm Wednesday, it is 88F. I was afraid Tommy was going to die in the car, waiting for me. He had to leave the car on for the ac. So, that is added cost for gas. The price of gas is going up, so not good. 

Today, at Publix I bought one jar of dill chips $1.65 bogo, 3 half-gallons of a2milk @ 3/$10, carrots for the whopping price of $2.19 for 2 lbs., smattering of organic blackberries for $3 bogo, "premium" tomato $0.67/lb ($1.13 for a tomato?), ice cream bogo $3.  Vidalia onions were expensive--$4.99 for 5 lbs. I am going to ready them for dehydrating, freeze them, and then get them out to dehydrate them when I get the dehydrator set up. 

I did not realize I was buying organic blackberries! Carrots have been on my mind for weeks, but I never find them on sale. The pickles were to make better potato salad. Now, I need to find gherkins on sale. 

My allergies this year have been worse than usual. However, I have had no symptoms--itching, coughing, sneezing, feeling miserable. This year, I have to become ill before I know I am suffering from my allergies.

Tommy has been peeling, coring, and chopping apples given to me, all different kinds. I am going to bake them in a pan with streusel on top. He should like that. This is 6 apples going south that I am saving. Okay, one was rotten, and nothing could be salvaged. So, we had 5 salvaged apples. Tonight, he is having one or two drumsticks and I am having chicken tenders. There is about two bites of potato left, green beans and cabbage. 

The apple streusel was delicious. 

I want to buy catsup that is lower in sugar and sodium. I have not looked online yet. I suppose that kind of catsup is called tomato sauce! Heinz was bogo today at Publix, but I left it there. 

One thing is planned for Thursday. Another, a return, is planned if I manage to get out and do my first chore. I am absolutely certain that Friday plans will be accomplished! 

My mouth itches from my lips to past my tonsils in the Spring. This did not happen this year. Finally, last Saturday, the itching just attacked me. Have you ever had your whole inside of your mouth itch? The next day, I noticed the privets were blooming. About four blocks from here there are two whole blocks of privet next to a business. So, I suppose there is now a new reason for me not to leave the house. I hate it. Are you allergic to privet? 

We moved one of the shepherd's crooks. I was not able to see my favorite, the pink Wave Petunia, so it was relocated with the hook to the side of the ramp where I can see it sitting in my chair. It makes me happy every time I look at it.

Are you allergic to privet? Keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow for me.


10 comments:

  1. You did not say what you were going to do tomorrow. Hope it is a good thing and goes your way. I have been buying condiments at Aldi and have been very happy with the ketchup, mayo and mustard. I get produce, crackers and cereals there and they have been fine for the most part. Much cheaper, love to save when I can. If Tommy would be willing to try some of their cereal he might find it just as good. I do not recommend the cheerio type but I think the frosted mini wheats are very good. I also use the quick oats for hot cereal and fruit crisps. I find the produce good as well. I have learned to just try it, if I don't like it I will get something else next time.
    I am sorry to hear your allergies are acting up. My son goes thru that in the spring and fall. He does much better if he takes a daily allergy pill during this time. Once everything has bloomed he is fine and no longer needs the pills.

    Prices are so different depending on where we live in the US. I get some things cheaper than you do and you get some cheaper than I do. I guess it all balances out in the end. I just find it strange, like the blueberries here are out of sight right now. Hopefully they will get cheaper in the coming weeks. I will buy them for the freezer if they come down. Regular milk here is at $4 gallon, it was $2 not that long ago. I will have to check next time I go to the store and see what price the A2 is at.

    So here we are at the beginning of summer and the heat waves are coming. We will have to get out early or late to keep from having a heat illness. You be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I cannot shop at Aldi's, but I am glad it works for you.

      My allergies are year round, just worse in spring and worst in October. I need pills year round!

      I am waiting for cheaper blueberries, too. Right now, I will be eating the frozen ones I put up myself when they were cheap last year. A gallon and a half for $10 is cheap milk for me since I cannot drink the regular milk. Yes, I would be interested in what a2milk is right now, the red carton.

      As long as I am having problems breathing, I will be inside, unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. I take children's generic liquid in a young child dose about 3 times a day right now. It seems to help my allergies with my eyes and nose. It does not make me sleepy, but if I took an adult dose 3 times a day it makes me nervous. It does the opposite to me that it does to other people. If I took that stuff to sleep I would never get any sleep. That pain med Norco they gave me for two days in the hospital after knee surgery did the opposite for me that it does for everyone else too. It makes me shakey all over. agitated,nervous, and unable to sleep. Plus right before the time for the next dose it would make me start throwing up. The worst thing was it didn't even do much for my pain.
    either. I have had a terrible time with my asthma and allergies since late February.

    Your Pink Wave flower basket sounds like it is beautiful. I haven't bought any flowers yet nor planted seeds. Now it has going into the mid 90's all of a sudden, and that is too hot for me to even go to the greenhouse place yet to buy my flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      Tommy notices my reactions to meds are not what was intended. I feel like I am going to throw up or I do throw up about thirty minutes after I take meds for pain. I wonder why all the bad reactions to allergies this year?

      It is so pretty. I went in an electric cart into Lowe's garden center and it was suffocating. I paid for that.

      Delete
  3. Is the privet a type of blackberry bush?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My allergies have started up again - spring pollen hits me for sure.
    $10 for 3 - 1/2 gal. of milk? That is crazy expensive. That is $6+ for a gallon. WOW! I thought $3 something was a lot. It seems my area of the country is a bit cheaper on a lot of things.
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      The brand "a2milk" is what I have to drink because I cannot drink regular milk without pain. I am allergic to the a1 protein in mammal products. Regular milk, which Tommy drinks, is about $3.38/gallon. My allergies rule my life, unfortunately.

      Delete
  5. This has been a very difficult pollen/allergy season here this year.
    Heinz makes a sugar free ketchup that is tasty but it is never one of the Publix BOGO ketchups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I thought my allergies were not being affected, but just got worse over time until I was very ill and having asthma symptoms...very strange. Heinz is bogo now. I will see if I can get it. Sometimes they don't have things listed, yet will sell it bogo. I will try it bogo or not. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...