Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Funeral

 Sunday night as I went to bed, I wished I could see the Queen's funeral service that would come on at 4:30 am Monday morning. I thought Tommy would not like it at all. However, he seemed not against it. So, I told him if he awoke around then, would he wake me? He said he would. I read for a long time and turned off the light. I could not sleep. So, I was surprised when he woke me. 

We watched the funeral from 4:30 until almost 11:30. During this whole time, I only had half a banana and some water. I became teary-eyed many times during the processions and all the pomp. I don't think I have ever seen so many people assembled. It seemed the world became very quiet, mankind had paused. The drum that kept time for the march was the only thing that existed. 

My burning question was why the march was sort of a sway. Even the royals, women and all, swayed as they marched or walked. I actually was a bit seasick as all mankind rocked from side to side. 

Charlotte was so cute and precious. I loved her helping George to get the bowing right. Those children certainly had a long day. It was a beautiful, dry, and sunny day. 

I know there are bad things one can say about Monday, the monarchy and such. But, this is not the time for that criticism. Someone's mother and grandmother and great-grandmother has died. 

Speaking of death, I actually cried out as I read another friend had died! The funny thing is that I had told myself I was going to call her for the last few weeks. Sometimes, we wait until it is too late. We were not close friends, but long-time friends. 

Today, it was mid-nineties, very hot. My hands were burned on the railing, on the car, and the seat belt lock! I had forgotten about such heat...lol. But, I won't wish it away. 

I had to get up too early to go with Tommy to his doctor this Tuesday morning. I took a nap before noon and another after 3 pm. We had leftovers for dinner-chicken, rice and salad. Tonight, at 9 pm, I will put two packages of breasts and a package of chicken drumsticks into the oven. There is about a pound or more of carrots ready to go into the cooking bag, too. It will be late cooking, but that is okay as there will be plenty of chicken for a couple of weeks. 

Did you watch the coverage from England? Did you notice the sway to the columns of people? Was it disconcerting to you as it was for me? 

16 comments:

  1. The swaying that you refer to has to do with the slow rhythm of the march time---75 beats per minute on the drums. A funeral march always has a slow and solemn rhythm. Also, if you noticed many of the military personnel and the members of the royal family in military uniform were wearing swords. To keep the swords in their position requires walking in a certain way. By the way, Princess Anne was the only female member of the royal family to march in procession as she is the daughter of the late Queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances,
      I understand the slow cadence. And, I have seen men march with swords before, so I wonder. Yes, I knew why Anne marched. She is the only female royal to EVER march in a funeral procession.

      Delete
  2. I have recorded it but not watched yet. I do like your words "seemed the world became very quiet, mankind paused." I think that was very appropriate for this lady. She had served the commonwealth to the best or her ability for so long. Yes, she did make some mistakes, some of those brought on by other royals that could not make the same sacrifices and their like of commitment to service and responsibility she had made. We all have dealt with these things and can only do the best we can. Not everyone will see or know how we feel about our heartbreak when hard decisions are made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      "The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones." Marc Antony said about Brutus, from Julius Caesar written by Shakespeare.

      Delete
  3. I also noted the odd march. Having been in marching band, the goal was to glide. It was almost as if we were to move without looking like we were moving. So this side to side business was disconcerting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice.
      Good! Someone else noticed. Yes, very disconcerting.

      Delete
  4. I didn't watch the funeral. I will watch it someday on YouTube. Not ready for it right now. My circumstances require me "...to keep my mind bright and happy." Edith Wharton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I love Edith Wharton. It is not often people quote her.

      Delete
    2. I cannot think of a single short or novel of hers that I don't absolutely adore! "Old New York" is among my very favorites.

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      Edith Wharton was one of the authors I studied in grad school. I continued to read her works long after I had to read them.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Chef,
      There was so much pageant and spectacle that you missed.

      Delete
  6. I didn't watch it, oddly enough, as I had three different appointments on Monday (but I did hang my Union Jack flag on the front door). I've seen most of the funeral now though, and they did her proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaderss.
      Luckily, I had no appointments. I don't have a Union Jack, but iif I did, I would have hung it. She would have been happy with how she was honored.

      Delete
  7. I had to work, so I watched the highlights on the BBC afterwards. I was glad to have seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I suppose you missed the miles of marching. The drummer and the swaying were a sight unto themselves! I am glad I saw all seven hours that we watched.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...