Wednesday, November 16, 2022

A New Doctor, Brownie Recipe, Dinner

 I had my appointment with a new doctor. When I made the first appointment, I had to see a nurse practitioner who was not nice. 

Lynda saw this man and gave a good recommendation. He is very nice and addressed problems as I mentioned them. First, I told him about getting sick over and over and lymph nodes being inflamed. He felt and said they were large. Then, I discussed problems with lymph glands over the years and how they were basically ignored. 

We talked about other problems, too He has plans to get me to doctors who can help. Isn't that what a gp is for? 

The last doctor I thought was so nice is not so good as a doctor. I think as a man and a friend, he is excellent. But, I am not sure what he does except silly or inadequate advice. I know that walking would help with swollen legs and feet. But, he moved close and asked me if could wiggle my feet around some. ??? Now, the calf needs to move to get the body pump to work in order to move blood back up to the heart. I thought wiggling my feet around was inadequate advice for a woman who can actually walk! 

Did you hear about the woman who went into an American Family Care (AFC), went to sleep, and was locked inside? I have gone to sleep in the exam room when I was really sick but cannot imagine being left. This is not to disparage the AFC because in my opinion, this is a great business for health care, much better than walk-in facilities I have used in the past. 

Last night, I wore my pocket nightgown around during the evening and to bed. This is like wearing a bathrobe. It covers my limbs, keeps me warm, just perfect. Yes, I will get more of these and retire the summer nightgowns until spring. The summer nightgowns are fine in winter except they are low in the neck front and back. When my covers fall off the foot of the bed, I freeze and have to heave them back onto the bed--so annoying and sleep disruptive. The hem of the nightgown is about 5 inches above my foot, so not really long but sufficient. The brushed polyester did not make me too hot, thankfully. But, I had another gown at the ready to change. 

Tonight, I was in no mood to cook. I pulled out some thinly sliced beef from the freezer, put it in a pan with four new potatoes. While this cooked, he opened green beans, drained them and put water in the bowl, and microwaved. Now, dinner is ready--beef, potatoes, and green beans. I did not peel the potatoes. So, he peeled two inch potatoes! I ate my potato with the skin on. There is enough meat for another meal...Yay!

I had a pan of brownies made from cake mix ready to pop in the oven as soon as the meat and potatoes came out. If this recipe works, I will share it. I have used some recipes that did not work to make brownies from cake mix. Okay, the chocolate cake mix brownies are great. 

Cake mix brownies:

box of chocolate cake mix or fudge cake mix

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup milk

1 egg

10 oz chocolate chunks

350F, 20 min, 8x8 pan

I always have chocolate cake mixes even though I never make a chocolate cake. My aspirations are greater than my reality. I had some dark chocolate chips, not 10 oz, but I used those. I cooked them a tad too long, but they were still great. We each had one. 

My flannel sheets came. Tommy washed and dried them. They are cotton, very thick, and not very flannel-y. However, the set I have now sheds its fluffiness. So, I am very satisfied with these. I will put them on my bed tomorrow if I feel like it. 

Do you ever make brownies or cookies from cake mix?



14 comments:

  1. I use cake mixes very infrequently. I buy them when they are $0.50 each. What I typically make with them are muffins. I make brownies fairly frequently, though, from scratch...sugar, butter, eggs, flour, cocoa and salt.
    Personally, I can only bear to sleep in sleeveless, white, 100 percent cotton nightgowns, in a bed fitted with white, 100% cotton sheets...no top sheet, though. We use down comforters with white, 100% cotton comforter covers. DD did buy me a fluffy, polyester fleece bathrobe for Christmas one year, though, about 8 years ago. (Actually, it was DH's gift for me, but she picked it out. I like how generously sized it is, plus it has pockets, but I can only bear it on the coldest days. (I wanted a cotton-terrycloth robe, but when DH took DD to Macy's, apparently she fell in love with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B.,
      I just never bake cakes, either. When I bake my next cake, it will be from scratch with no icing--chocolate pound cake, or pumpkin bread, or sweet potato bread...okay, last two aren't cakes. As I was mixing up the brownies with cake mix, I was thinking that scratch brownies would be just as easy.
      Yes, I remember your love of white cotton. Oh, I would die in a polyester fleece bathrobe because I would be too hot. But, it sounds very pretty. I suppose she has good taste. Pockets are a must in a bathrobe. I don't want a belted robe, either, too hot and hard to keep in place and keep the belt with the robe.

      Delete
  2. I only wear a fleece robe on the coldest of days if I get a chill. I cannot do a gown at all, they always bunch up - I wear shorts and t-shirt all made from t-shirt material. NO flannel sheets - way too hot for me. I want my sheets to feel cool - I move my feet to cool spots over and over at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      That was me all the way a few years ago. Now, I look for the warm spot for my feet. I only like a nightgown, though.

      Delete
  3. I don't bake much anymore, as I am trying to watch my sugar intake. As for sleeping, I prefer cotton sheets as they keep me cool when I have night sweats. I sleep in tank tops and PJ pants. In the morning, I have a light sweater to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhitter,
      Well, I am watching sugar intake too...lol. I like cotton sheets, too. But, the flannel helps me not to freeze in a very cold room.

      Delete
  4. I do like a good homemade brownie from scratch, but the mixes are pretty tasty. I just buy brownie mixes not cake mixes to have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I just don't bake cakes, so these mixes will be brownies. I agree, the brownie mixes are delicious.

      Delete
  5. I, like Cheryl, do not like gowns. They all seem to ride up and twist around my legs and body. I sleep in oversized cotton tshirts. I like soft sheets, have you tried the Tshirt style of sheets. They are cool in the summer and cozy in the winter.

    I do keep a stock of boxed cake mixs. Not crazy about icing, I just bake them for a sweet, only add frosting for the kids or company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I love gowns, always have. I tried sleeping in pants, but I felt constricted, and they always twisted. I just don't like the idea or the feel. My grandson who also gets hot, said these sheets made him hot. So, I just won't sleep on them.

      I would rather keep fudge icing stocked to just eat.

      Delete
  6. I can remember growing up we always used flannelette sheets during the cooler months.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sleep in a large cotton tee; nightgowns get twisted up. In winter sometimes it's hard to get my feet to warm up, so I will wear a low-cut sock and then rub them off my feet in the night when they get too warm. I have a long cotton jersey (t-shirt material) robe that I throw on for morning coffee; It's warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

    I almost always make cookies from scratch because I do not like the chemical-ly flavor of mixes. Brownies are in DH's wheelhouse; he makes them from brownie mix and swirls in chocolate chips and marshmallow Fluff midway through baking. DD makes the best scratch brownies I've ever tasted; the recipe calls for instant espresso and boy howdy they are delectable.

    All this talk of sweets and I am trying to stay away from them. I am trying to wean myself from the feeling of needing something sweet after dinner. A big mug of hot unsweetened tea does the trick fairly well, but the brewing of it sometimes feels tiresome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      It is funny that nightgowns don't get twisted with me and pajamas or any pants do. Getting rid of the socks by rubbing them is clever. If I wear socks, I want my ankles covered! I had a tshirt robe I made and it was the best ever!
      Wow, a man who makes brownies. That is great. He must have fun making them the way he does. I have noticed that taste and wonder what it can be.
      I need something later, and it should not be sweets or carbs. A hunk of turkey would be just the thing for me! Now, that it is cold, hot chocolate would be nice except for the fact I don't like hot drinks and chocolate can hurt my stomach.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...