Sunday, February 26, 2023

Sunday Progress and Disappointment

 This was a wonderful day because the cleaner came. We ended up talking too much or she could have gotten more done. I had her clean really well at the head of my bed and change the sheets in my bedroom. I wanted her to measure and cut paper for the drawers. but she can do it another day. 

She vacuumed the middle of the living, not under everything. 

Thennn, I could not show her what to do. I sent her into the dining room with a box to pick up things off the floor. She came back with the box full several times. I suppose she emptied the kitchen garbage can three times. There were cans of food 10 years old, papers of Tommy's stored in boxes with dates 20 years old. He allowed me to throw out the little red lids from KFC sides. 

I found some of my Tupperware he has had for ten years! I wondered where all my T had gone. She was grossed out by so many roaches, all dead. I told her I had put out roach bait. These are the big outdoor ones that come in the door in the dining area. She removed all the baits and we will put out more tonight. 

So many boxes, large and small were discarded. it is amazing how large the space looks now. Back when I was capable of doing all this, I was forbidden to do so. Very few things were mine. About 20 quart plastic freezer containers are in the sink. Tommy insisted they were good. "I got soup in those." "Where are the lids" "I don't know." "What will you use these for?" " O don't know, but they are good." "Actually, I can plant things in them and poke holes in the bottom." So, they are in the sink, ready to be washed. 

Whew! She just stood holding the tall cylinders, looking back and forth between us. 

Last night, I sat on my bed and let out a shriek. I had sat on the spring sticking out of the mattress. It had made a hole in my newest sheet, and there was a cut a little way away. I went to the living room and sat down, told Tommy to go look at my bed. He wanted to know what he would see. I told him about the 1/2 inch of metal through the hole and the cut. I told him if that did not impress him, I could bend over and show him the tear in my behind.

He came back out and told me to get the sale paper I showed him and decide where we should go to buy a new mattress. Soooo, we will do so. In the Rooms to Go ad, they list many good brands of mattresses. Now, I had a Serta Perfect, bought in 1980 that lasted 40 years. But, who knows if the quality of the brand is the same. So, I can get a mattress. Of course, we may not get a mattress from there. 

So, I am quite happy with a new mattress in the future and a lot of cleaning and tossing having happened today. I have pined for a mattress for weeks, so now he is convinced. 

On Saturday night I slept two hours. She left and I slept one more hour. Okay, it was an hour and fifteen minutes. 

The vacuum cleaner I bought when I first came here was only used for five minutes once and another three minutes another time. I cannot use a vacuum at all, any kind because of my back, not even the stick. It sat for three years. Now, I find out that somehow the dust is all inside the vacuum cleaner and outside the bag. The bag does catch some dust and all larger particles. This vacuum will get a really bad review on Amazon! I hate it. I paid the price for good filtration, hepa, and now the expensive piece of junk does not do the job. She had to spend about fifteen minutes outdoors, cleaning the inside. 

I have about a cup of chopped celery that I will add to a can of tuna and call it the start of dinner. Since I have only had a bowl of cereal today, I really need more to eat. Tommy is in the kitchen, probably making a salad and getting either ham or chicken legs. 


 

19 comments:

  1. That is good you are going to get a new mattress. They make them like they do anything else these days with planned obsolescence, unfortunately. They make them with no handles on the sides and so you can’t flip them over. So, if those things are important to you, be sure to look for those features in the one you buy.

    Those roaches sound like country roaches with a wider backend, which are different from the German roaches that come from a grocery store, for example. The country roaches come out when it rains and are not like those gross ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I do hope for handles. But, I cannot turn it anyway! Besides, some mattresses are not meant to be turned. You just buy a new mattress. I hate that.
      Yes, these come from outdoors and are almost always near the doors. I hate them all. But, I keep roach killer out all the time now.

      Delete
  2. Be prepared to spend a bunch of money - mattresses are not any where near cheap now days! They are extremely expensive. Glad you had the cleaner come again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I dread seeing the price, but he will get the one I pick because he knows the soft mattress hurts me, plus, he knows how hard it is to get on and off the bed.

      Delete
  3. Sigh. First the daffodilsl, now your butt. You really need to figure out the picture situation, Linda! JK--LOL!!! Hilarious that you offered to show Tommy your butt. Knowing what a grump he is, I should think you'd be doing that on a daily basis. ;^)

    I hope you are not going to try to wash all those containers by hand. I'm sure they are top-rack safe. Your idea to use them for plants is a good one.

    No mattress brand is good enough to last 40 years. At that point, all support is gone; your body is just used to it. I could never convince my folks that their ancient mattress was bad for their backs/joints. Oh well! Plus, think of 40 years of body sweat, skin dust, and mites. Yuck!

    I too am a fan of the Serta brand. And I need a new mattress as well. I checked with a physical therapist to see if I should get my preferred super-firm type, or if my aging body should have a softer one. She said I could safely stick with a hard one. I will say that I will never one of those foam tops. I do not want to feel like I'm sleeping on a marshmallow. Plus, they retain/magnify heat, and I'm already my own furnace.

    The best way to choose a mattress is to actually lay on it. So that shopping trip is going to be very hard on you, Linda. But worth it--so you don't keep tearing yourself a new a**h**e. HAH!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      The containers are mostly just dusty, so it will not be difficult. Maybe he will wash them.
      Think about it, I slept on one section, not in the middle. So, I had two sides of the mattress with 1/2 of the surface to use. That makes four sections. Besides turning the mattress over, I turned it endwise, too.
      I kept a zipped cover on it that protected me from my own skin flakes and cleaned it each time i changed the sheets. Then, I had a soft cover on it that protected me from the cover...lol. I did not experience 40 years of sweat and skin and dust mites.
      The pillow tops and mattress covers that are too soft drive me nuts. So, yes I will be testing a mattress. I cannot stand foam to sleep.
      I do dread the trying a mattress. That wire was curved, so snagged me, not just a poke. I had to unhook myself!

      Delete
  4. I seem to go through vacuum cleaners quickly. I've had all types, including "luxury" vacuums, including an Oreck. I am currently on a cheap, bagless--simply because it was the only one I could find without having to drive over 25 miles "up north" to buy one. Over the years, this has been my favorite bagged, but it IS heavy: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hoover-WindTunnel-Max-Bagged-Upright-Vacuum-Cleaner-UH30600/19478274
    The one I am currently using is this one. It does the job, but it doesn't have a swivel head, and the attachment isn't as firm or long as the other bagless. What I love about it is that I can take it apart and clean it easily https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-CleanView-Bagless-Upright-95957/dp/B07615JHM4/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2GGGZSAE27LID&keywords=bissell+cleanview+vacuum&qid=1677513268&sprefix=bissellclean+view+vacuum%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-16
    A cheap, bagged vacuum which worked great for me was this one, but finding the bags was a challenge, and they were expensive. https://www.walmart.com/ip/BISSELL-Power-Force-Bagged-Upright-Vacuum-1739/104757366?athbdg=L1102
    I vacuum daily, sometimes twice a day. The Oreck was great, and I loved that it was so lightweight, WHEN IT WORKED, that is. It spent lots of days in the shop. Plus, it didn't have on-board attachments.
    I'm a Beauty Rest, plush, pillow top gal. I know people swear by memory foam, but think they are garbage...like sleeping on a stiff sponge. Youngest picked one out because when we upgraded him from twin to full (kids over 11 generally went from toddler to full size..he was the only one who got a twin for a time...not sure how that transpired) but he also wanted an adjustable base, and that was free with certain mattresses, and he liked the foam best of all. We DiD buy one at Costco for the guest room, and nobody has complained, but I don't get a lot of guests. Plus, memory foam is hot. I'm told it's because I'm small, and I sleep on it. I lasted three days before Bear in mind, you will want delivery and removal of your old mattress, so keep that in mind when choosing a retailer. Macy's here used to give free delivery with removal service over a certain $, so it made sense for us to buy the more expensive mattress--the delivery/removal charge was more than the difference in the cost of the mattresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Removal service will determine which I buy. Plus, there is no way we can set a mattress up. I hate foam! Thanks for info.

      Delete
    2. Glad you could read my comment in spite of its incoherence. My internet likes to cut in and out in this house, making editing very difficult. Bottom line: Get delivery with removal. And, if you go to a store like Macy's, they don't charge for this service if your purchase is over a certain amount. In other words, spend the money on product, not on services. Also, in my area, the Macy's White Glove service is excellent.

      Delete
  5. I got one that you don't turn over. I do turn it head to toe every 2 months

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long have you had it and what brand? Turning it that way is a good idea.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I am slowly getting him accustomed to that idea. He took it better than I realized. But, he is confused.

      Delete
  7. I agree a new mattress is in order, you need to get a good nights sleep. A new mattress is something we are getting this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gill,
      The mattress is part of the problem with sleeping. I hope that you find a good one, too.

      Delete
    2. we are going to go with one of those mattresses in a box that get delivered right to your home.

      Delete
    3. Gill,
      I cannot handle foam, but lots of people like those.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...