Saturday, February 25, 2023

Ham Talk, Your Opinion

 

In a minute--

I had something to do on Saturday, but the rain kept us in. Oh, well. I did manage to get enough sleep. I got sleep by sleeping four hours, staying up two on the laptop, and then going back to sleep at 7:30 am. It is not ideal, especially not in the middle of the night. But, trying to sleep and fretting is worse. 

I was shocked to run out of milk on Friday, so that is one thing we have to do today. Tommy just said he needs milk, too. I suppose we will get bananas, too. Mushrooms are on sale, so I want those. 

At least, I am hanging my clothes Tommy washed yesterday--hand towels, wash clothes, underwear, and nightgowns. Now, he needs to wash dark clothes. If the washer and dryer were inside, I could do this myself. 

Tommy cut all the ham from the bone. Since it was spiral cut, it was an easy job for him. Now, I need to freeze it in portions for meals. 

I love ham. As a child, I remember that ham always "called for" lots of plain tea. Even as little children, we realized it was the ham. It still does or water. We had a spiral ham that Tommy cut off the bone and put in three gallon bags. I need to further separate it and put into portions for the freezer as I cannot eat much ham. 

After eating it once, lots, my feet were so swollen my sandals cut into my feet. So, today, I tortured myself again. I must stop now. 

As you know, I prefer the breast of chicken or turkey because it is dry. Same with ham as the white part of ham is drier. Tommy prefers the red or darker part. Once in the grocery store at the meat counter, a woman and I started talking. Her husband shares my preferences. She was shocked anyone else felt the same way. She had described it as odd preferences before I shared my predilections, also.

I cannot stand to bite into juicy meat! It caused my husband problems at a cookout. Everyone brought their own meat and it was cooked by the group. We all bought a dish to share. I like round steak, thin and well -cooked, dry. The guys teased my husband about buying me good meat since he had a thick, and juicy steak. I have forgotten what. He begged me to eat something else.

So, next cookout, I went to the grill and told them I wanted thin, dry, and gray insides to my steak, that round steak was my preference. That ended their harassing me. 

If I have to eat red ham, I have to put it in a skillet and cook it. Then, it is dry enough for me to eat. Even a roast that is too juicy is not pleasing to me. 

Dinner: Tommy had ham, salad with all the fixins, cranberry sauce, leftover piece of potato. I had ham and rest of last night's salad. 

Wonderful weather--63 degrees F at almost 8 pm. I wonder if March will be so kind.

I need to cook the thawed chicken and the frozen chicken we just put out in the refrigerator to thaw.

How do you like your ham, juicy or dry? Beef and chicken, juicy or dry? 

16 comments:

  1. I am not a huge ham fan so I really have no preference, but a steak cooked to a perfect mid rare is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      We so rarely have ham that these last few weeks with ham are highly unusual.

      Delete
    2. I didn't care for ham much either, but that's because all I ever knew was dried out ham. I still don't like it much, but when I do prepare it, I make sure it retains some moisture. How do you define mid-rare? (I may have to coin that term for clarity!)

      Delete
    3. Meg,
      I think Anne meant med (medium) rare.

      Delete
  2. I don't care for any type of protein that is cooked dry--fish, poultry, or red meat. It's too hard to choke down. I do insist on protein that is at least moist. I don't need juices running down my chin, but I do need that moistness.

    For example, I don't really care for Portuguese chourico. It's too dry and crumbly for me when cooked. Although DS loves it in scrambled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I don't want it crumbly, either, just dry enough. I know it is me and a few others who prefer this.

      Delete
  3. I like dry meat myself, but my daughter prefers everything to be creamy and/or saucy. The ham sounds good. I have yams and cranberry sauce too, I need to add that to our menu for the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to bake sweet potatoes to go with this ham. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  4. I have been told it's unusual for a woman, but I like my steaks warm in the middle, red rare, which is what fine steak houses (not a chain, mind you) call "medium." At a steakhouse I used to frequent ages ago, medium was red, but warm. Here, I asked, by habit, for medium, and got a tough, gray steak, so I've learned to ask restaurants what they mean by "rare" and "medium." (I was raised to believe rare was cold-in-the-middle red.) I like my beef roasts still red, but hot in the middle, but pink is okay. The only time I like beef fully brown (or, gray, as I say) is if it is in a pot roast, in which case it needs to be cooked well enough that it can be cut with a fork, but no so well that it is dry. I like my ground beef fully cooked, though, with no pink. I like my chicken and turkey cooked, but not dried out. What I TRULY dislike is someone disparaging another's preferences in food, ESPECIALLY during the meal. I have always treated such harshly. The best way to prepare a steak is the way the person who is eating prefers, just as the best wine to buy is the wine you like. Funny story: One of the kids had a friend over, and when we asked her how she liked her steak cook, she drew a blank, so we had to explain what we meant--fine--nobody had ever asked her that before. Turns out, she likes medium rare--hot red, close to pink. Anyway, I said some time later, (griping about indecision on another person's part over something else which led to another issue) "Kids, don't EVER marry anybody who doesn't know how they like their steak cooked." Without missing a beat, my daughter asked, "But what if they want it well done?" My son replied, "You tell them kindly, but firmly, to leave." (A quote from the television show "King of the Hill.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone invited me over all the time and served filet mignon every time. Her husband wanted to know how I liked it--sliced open and cooked until gray and all the juice was mashed out. He did what I asked. After about ten meals there, she turned on me and told me in a very unkind manner that I was ruining a good cut of meat, that she did not want me eating it that way. I told her cooly then she should not invite me over, serve me that meat and ask me how I wanted it, she should eat it herself.

      Delete
    2. I confess, I, too, don't understand the appeal of meat cooked that way. I might not serve someone Wagyu steaks if I knew that's how they wanted it cooked--I'd make something else. I also make it a point to avoid dining with known picky eaters who gripe about the food. Granted, I've been to some BAD restaurants--most of them HERE, and in that instance I don't mind hearing the negative comments about the standard--those are not about the TYPE of food, but rather the preparation not being up to expectation--not warm enough, overcooked, tough meat, wrong order, etc..., but not "Oh, gross, how can you EAT that?" I don't suffer those kindly at all!

      Delete
    3. Meg,
      I agree. I do not want a running commentary on my choice of food I eat.

      Delete
    4. Kids today say, "Don't yuck my yum" as a way of stopping commentary on food preferences.

      My FIL always gave me crap about my meat preferences. I'm not a huge fan of steak (never order it at a restaurant), but when I have it, I like my interior warm and barely pink. NO BLOOD. FIL would fuss and make snide remarks every time I'd ask for end pieces that were cooked beyond everyone else's liking. I told him I would aim for his shoes when I threw up from any bloody meat.

      We went through this routine every damn time, just like an unfunny Abbott & Costello comedy act. I was not a big enough person to just ignore him. And he was not a big enough person to just shut the **** up, either. He liked to verbally bully people, and I always had my dukes up. A pair made in heaven, we were... LOL!

      Delete
    5. Sue,
      That is a good saying.
      Seeing someone eat okra makes me gag. I don't say anything, just retch once in a while. I have to keep my eyes cast down.
      He was a verbal bully. There was no reason you had to be the bigger person. No one should have to tolerate someone like that just to keep the peace.
      I cannot stand to look at pink meat, so I don't, but some people have to keep digging at my well, well, done meat.

      Delete
  5. I never tire of ham either. My favorite is honey-baked ham.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...