Monday, June 26, 2023

Stress Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

 Last Thursday, the day started with me getting up at 9 am to get ready for the chair repair guy to replace the undercarriage of my chair. He was to come between 10 am and 2 pm. We were ready for him at 10 am. So, he came at after noon. He took over my chair and I sat in the only other chair in the house except for Tommy's. $300 for the repair.

We left about 3:30 to return the Rubaiyat to Barnes and Nobles. Well, the car would not start after we stopped to get gas. We had not gone far, so we went back to Auto Zone. The guy said he was alone in the store, so he could not come out to the car. I did not believe that for a second. I told him I would call corporate and ask why they did not have more people in the store. A bit later, I called and he said he would be right out. I had not called corporate. He tested the battery and said it just needed charging. That was strange. A battery that just needs charging does not refuse to start after going about two miles and stopping for gas. 

We went to Pep Boys. They could do nothing, so we left and went home. PB was too busy. Come back in an hour. So, we came home, ate, rested and he was ready to go back. I told him after so little sleep, I felt incapable of driving safely and could he take a cab back. He left and came home via Lyft. Pep Boys called the guy and gave them the address for the house. 

We spent some time in the yard and heat starting my car. Then, I backed it down out of the carport and scraped Tommy's metal ramp, making a huge scrape on my car. I was so tired! He then started putting air in the tire with our little air compressor. You can only run it for ten minutes and then let it rest for 25 minutes. After ten minutes, I went to bed. 

Friday morning, Tommy kept running the air  pump for ten minutes and off for 25 minutes while I was asleep. I had slept well on Thursday and for about 10 hours. He alternated between filling tires and watering. My car was so dirty from sitting with dust and pollen all over it. So, I insisted we wash it before our chore of the day. Well, the carwash was temporarily closed but with people all over on ladders inside. So, we left and came back after a chore or two. It was open again, so I made the terrifying trip through and it was washed, sort of. I could still see soap running down the windshield and dirt still at the bottom of the windshield. 

After two blocks, Tommy said the windows were dirty, too. So, we turned around and the manager happened to be out there. He said he would give us a $25 wash instead of the $16 wash I chose the first time. I have never chosen an option with wheel washing but earlier had done so. Of course, the wash was closed while they repaired it again. So, we said we could come back Saturday. 

Then, I took him to pick up his car and ran out of gas running the car to keep cool. My insurance company could only help me via text. I spent over 30 minutes sweating and calling. When Tommy came out of Pep Boys, I sat in his car. Finally, I got back in my car to wait on gas delivery while he went across the street to get his meds. $230 for a new battery and other stuff he needed done. So, AZ said it just needed charging. Poor service there. 

When the woman with gas came, she called and said she was behind Walgreen's and where was I? I had said behind Pep Boys and she assured me she was behind Pep Boys and I was not. Things were tense for a moment. Finally, she said she said Pep Boys. She did not, but she finally found me right where I said I was. It cost me $10, just the price of the gasoline because roadside service took care of the delivery. Gas is not $5/gallon, but what can you do? 

Friday evening, I froze about 5 lbs of chopped turkey in quart bags. Tommy put an inch of water into my huge stock pot and dumped a huge bag of chopped kale into it. I almost let it simmer all night! We have been eating off that for three days now. It is delicious. 

I think I slept another 7 hours on Friday night, so I felt well Saturday morning. We got to appointment in Cullman 15 minutes late. But, we finished and went to two grocery stores, finding what we could not find down here. Then, it was back here to get the free, super-duper carwash. It was still dirty afterwards. We came home exhausted. The stress of the frightening trip through the carwash on top of everything else that day just about did me in. 

We had to do no cooking, just thawing cooked meat or heat leftovers in the microwave on these three days. 

Sunday, I think I awoke at noon. At 1 pm, I went back to bed and slept until 5 pm. Altogether, I slept 16+ hours. 

Last night, I slept about 5 hours. Monday, I have managed to feel okay until I accidentally went to sleep watching a show about Nazca lines. I slept an hour, accidentally! 

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday were so tiring. Sunday was just sleep. Today, Monday, we have not done things we should have all during the week. But, we are working on it, just things in the house. 

This week, three days of over 100F is projected. We have things to do out and about, so no staying indoors for us. I told Tommy we would take two bottles of water each day. Usually, he just drinks out of a bottle he keeps in the car all week. He might take a sip in 8 hours. The rest of the time, he drinks caffeine in coffee and diet Pepsi. The other day, I lectured him and he drank two inches of water.

Other things may have happened that were stressful, but I cannot remember those things. 

Are you having hot weather this week? 

Bad weather this weekend? 


4 comments:

  1. I can imagine how stressful those days were. Hope every thing goes better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      Yes, they were stressful, but, so far this week, everything is running smoothly. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Well we are in the middle of winter and today is quite cold for Sydney with clouds and drizzling rain. I hate those 100 degree days and they are exhausting, I try to avoid doing too much at all when it's hot but of course some things must be attended to!
    I hope you can get Tommy drinking, dehydration is a big issue especially for older people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Our weather would warm you quickly! Heat is exhausting, more so for me as I get older. We did nothing extra, believe me. I caught Tommy drinking water today and asked why. He said he was going out to water the plants. He comes in drenched afterwards, so he is sweating lots. I make sure he takes two bottles of water. I need one, but would share my bottle with him.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...