Sunday, June 25, 2023

Tomato Problems This Week

 On Tuesday, I bought one huge tomato from a grocery store. Eventually, I discovered it was mealy. Then, Wednesday I bought the pretty ones from the market five for $5. I ate a market tomato first and it was mealy. Next, I ate the grocery store tomato, and it was mealy. 

Since we were not planning to use the stove, I put the tomatoes on a plate and on the stove eye. Well, I went in tonight and the plate of tomatoes was sitting within a quarter of an inch from the coffeemaker which is always on. !!!

I suppose I need to use the tomatoes in a casserole since I won't know they are mealy that way. 

The plums were purchased at the market on Wednesday and hard as a rock. So, I let them sit. Then, they were so mushy inside there was no resistance to the flesh, just liquid-y. I suppose I need to make plum jelly. sigh

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday were so rough that it took Sunday and 15+ hours sleep to feel normal. I did not write anything, maybe tomorrow. 

Today was so hot, around 90F something. And, then we had a thunderstorm and rain tonight. Tommy barely watered today, but tonight made up for it. This week will be in the high 90s...great weather. 

How has the weather been at your house?

Do you know why tomatoes get mealy? 

What happened to the plums? 


6 comments:

  1. Mealy tomatoes aren’t very appetizing. We had storms yesterday too and lost power for over six hours. I was glad when it finally came back on last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I would hate to lose power for six hours in this heat. Do you have a generator?

      Delete
  2. We had severe weather in my area yesterday. All good here - but tornadoes very close by. Hard plums - just not picked ripe. Mealy tomatoes - usually has to do with watering from what I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I am glad all is okay. I thought maybe the plums were not ripe, too. But, they soon went to mush.
      I have never heard about watering. I knew refrigeration would make them mealy.








      Delete
  3. I find store bought tomatoes are almost always mealy--probably because they were picked before ripe, then put in cold storage to stop the ripening. The same thing may have happened with your plums. I'm not sure where you got them, but at a supermarket, it's not like they pick the produce when it's ripe, and put it out for sale.
    I had two plum trees in my farmhouse, (I'm renting it out now.) On the years we had plums, I would make plum jam,* as we couldn't eat all the plums before they went bad after picking. And, of course, the jam would get made on the hottest day of the year, as that is when the plums would ripen. We experimented with picking a few before they were ripe, and letting them ripen on the counter, but we always missed the window.
    I only make jam, as I don't like straining the fruit for juice for jelly. It's a waste of time--although I've made and canned apple juice with my steam juicer, and then used apple juice for apple jelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      Yes, store bought tomatoes are usually mealy. But, this was from a farmer's market.
      I meant plum jam. Apple is the only jelly I think I made, too. It has been a long time since I made apple jelly, but I was young.
      We had a stand of plums when we lived on ten acres. We gladly picked plums for mama to make jam...happy times.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...