Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Long Scorcher

Tuesday, we went to lunch, the one with music. Lunch was great chicken fingers, mac n cheese, corn pickles and peppers. I had only the chicken and mac n cheese, and chocolate cake, of course.

We gave a box of food to couple who will donate it, so we did not have to pick it up or carry it.

We headed out to the sweet potato farm. We were shocked that they had not been able to dig them because it is too dry. When it is too dry, the sweet potatoes get skinned by the equipment. We were disappointed and left with card and a wait of at least three weeks. Usually, sweet potatoes are ready the first of September. We can barely wait for the Beauregards to be ready.

At the Farmer's Market there were only about four vendors. But, my favorite vendor was there with red okra and all sorts of pumpkins. I used $12 of coupons to get four pumpkins for the porch. Later, I can cook them. They are quite attractive with a large one in my hypertufa pot, a smaller one nestled in the chicken with the mums and the other two sitting in front of the chicken.

Tommy let me buy a new necklace I need for an upcoming event. Love it Some of my jewelry was stolen; some was saved, but I have no idea where it is. The young men just moved things they put in huge bags. Nothing was organized, just moved for which I am grateful.

I me a man at my lot who wants to buy it. He is going to move my things left in the yard. Yes, I am paying him. Of course, if he does, he will be the first person to agree to do it and actually load the stuff up.

Tommy told me in no uncertain terms that I could not bring my picnic table or swing to his yard. Today, he was quite agreeable. I am ecstatic.

When we left home this morning about 8 am, there was not a cloud in the sky. I did not break a sweat getting to the car. Before we left Cullman, it was scorcher, well into the 90s. Still I love it--hot and dry.

Monday night, I did not sleep a wink. So, today was a hard day and I napped a bit when we came home and got things inside.

The only problem all day long was on the way home. I had on a sleeveless top and the sun was hurting my skin. I need to carry something to shield my arms and use sunscreen. I do not need a sunburn in September or ever. It seems as I get older, the sun actually hurts my skin. Does the sun hurt your skin? Has it always hurt your skin or is this something new fitor you. I mean it causes pain after just a few minutes.

Tomorrow, the temp will be 94F with no rain in sight.

6 comments:

  1. YES it will hurt my skin... I'm in 60s but my youngest daughter has always had it hurt her skin, not burn but hurt. Doctor told us it can be either not enough moisture on the skin or a reaction to what ever lotion we used and to use vaseline. I haven't had as much problem since but I do carry a light weight shawl with me.

    Our Huntsville AL friends are waiting on the same sweet potatoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      You got it--pain, not a burn. When I was younger, it felt good. I had a large piece of cardboard that I used, but then my hand hurt! They know about Beauregards? Do they get them at a farm for $11/40 lbs?

      Delete
  2. Kim,
    I did get sweaty, a little, but the direct sun making my skin hurt was the worse thing. We are expecting weather in the 90s for the next week. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're getting professional advice about selling your lot; prices have gone up in most places and it's hard for a home owner to keep pace. If you just call a realty company they can have someone give you an estimated price for your lot. I'd hate to see you lose out on this!

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...