Wednesday, September 25, 2019

I Seriously Thought I Was Going To Die

Today, I had an emergency trip to doctor. Never mind that!

When I came out of a two-hour visit with the doctor, Tommy was sitting on his rollator sort of leaning on his hand and looking tired, as he well should. Of course, it was rush hour. As we left on a 22 mile long trip to Tommy's house, we were both so exhausted we were quiet. Finally, I asked him something and got a one-word answer. Same thing next three comments/questions. Finally, I figured out something to ask him that required more words. His voice was slurred.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt but then I noticed he was weaving from one side of the lane to another. All of a sudden, the car was straddling the line. I waved my hand in direction he should go, his way, and said, "Move over." He kept hitting the line on my side. We were in the middle of three or four lanes. I was panicking and telling him he was weaving. He swore he was not. Then, I saw a look on his face that told me he was hanging on, trying to stay in control. As I looked out my window, the car was just sliding into another car. I let out a shrill sound, jumped, waved the other direction.

He highly objected to my saying his blood sugar was dropping. Finally, I loudly told him to get off the interstate anywhere and let me drive. "Just get off anywhere." He ignored me while he said, "Okay, okay."

When we finally off the interstate. it was sort of worse. The traffic was bad, there were three lanes, and roads intersecting. I loudly told him to pull over anywhere, ANYWHERE! No place suited him. There was a bit of pavement for some reason, but he said no and kept driving. Finally, there was a 18-wheeler off on a very wide shoulder. I said, ordered him, get behind that truck! "Hell no! he exploded. That f******g truck is not even on the road! And, he is stopped!" Well, that was sort of the idea, I thought.

I started saying over and over, "PULL OVER, PULL OVER, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHERE." After saying this about 20 times (I was afraid and relentless." He said, "Okay!" like he was giving in freely to something I was nagging about, like getting an ice cream cone. He barely got the car off the road. I kept telling him to get over further, but he said there was no more room on my side and besides there was a ditch. I pointed out he was barely off the road and there was room on my side for two more cars side by side and NO ditch in sight.

As fast as I could, which is not fast, I got out of the car and told him to stay inside. I was afraid he would just get out and go into traffic, even if he was just stumbling and not deliberately stepping out too far. When I opened his door, the door was over the white line by the road. I held onto him as he held onto the roof rack and had a very difficult time walking. When he got around the car, I trusted him to keep going to my door that I had left open for him. I wanted to get into the car before something hit me.

I had absolutely no idea where I was, but the police were all I wanted. If you remember, I have had to call for a welfare check for him at home when I was at my home. Since I would have the keys, I could go in anywhere.

All of a sudden, I saw Walgreen's and told him I needed my prescription filled. I told him I was going inside instead of the window. MY hands were trembling! I called for a security check on someone in a car who thought he was okay to drive. They sent a huge firetruck and an EMT vehicle.

Tommy was so angry and yelled at me once. He yells at me but never in front of people. So, he quit, telling the guys he was going home to eat. I am not sure he could get his rollator out and drive it up the ramp. His blood sugar was 39. His bp was 185/105. The EMT said he called his doctor who wanted them to bring him to the hospital. Tommy refused. They gave him a tube of something, waited, and got his blood sugar up to 49. They asked him if he had high blood pressure. He said he did not. He could answer all the questions with which they test people. He answered correctly eventually. They asked me if he was still slurring his words. I nodded.

They said they would let him go if he promised to eat something soon. He agreed. We went to Burger King, right across the street. He was going to tear out a coupon, got an out-of-date one and insisted it was good. He read the 9/22/19 as 9/22, as in Sept 2022. I looked over and he was tearing out all sorts of coupons! That little sheet of coupons is shredded. We just ate in the parking lot with out bottle of water

We got my prescription with me driving. Then went to return things we both needed to return. I drove home again. I made sure of that by putting his keys in my purse. I swear I would have called the police if he tried to drive. I was very frightened, still.

He has got to start listening to me. He has had diabetes for 20 years and is not aware of how he is doing. I have had diabetes for about four years, and can tell without fail when my blood sugar is dropping. When I was in the endocrinologist's office, answering his questions, I finally said, "I am talking like I am drunk." Tommy, the doctor, and nurse agreed with me and my blood sugar was 50. I wonder why I know I a in trouble and he does not. Is this a male/female thing? Or, is it something else?

Do you have someone who frightens you driving?

22 comments:

  1. Can you keep some juice or something in the car for another time?
    My kids scare me in the car sometimes. They are over confident, brake late, change lanes etc. They laugh when my foot tries to brake on the passenger side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      He absolutely refuses to eat anything when I offer it, insist, or try to put a sucker or drink to his mouth. He is bound and determined some woman is not going to "change" him. Yes, he has said that in lucid moments about other things.A kid driving like that would scare me. My son is very cautious. My daughter less so, but I feel safe.

      Delete
  2. Could you have some juice or other sugar in the car in case it happens again? Would it help if he could put something in his mouth and absorb a little sugar while he finds somewhere to stop?

    My kids scare me in the car. They have the extreme confidence of youth and just laugh at me as they brake late and chop between lanes. It probably doesn't help that I taught them to drive and maybe haven't completely let go of the teaching role

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie,
      He refuses to even drink water if I offer it anytime. I did keep red suckers in his car, ones I get at the bank. I have looked out the window and have seen him eating those. I would be in a doctor office waiting room. I never know if he is just bored or if he thinks he needs it. He refuses my help, saying he knows what he is doing and he feels fine--as he slurs his words and stumbles about.

      Delete
  3. I have type 2 diabetes and my blood sugar doesn't go down it just goes up. Someone told me to keep glycerin tablets around, just in case. So I bought a pack. Some people keep them in their car and anywhere they're apt to be. I think a teaspoon of sugar would do the same thing. I think people who take insulin are more apt to go low. At this point I'm still staking pills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      It all goes back to his denial and refusal to believe me when I tell him his blood sugar is low. He takes insulin and pills. I will look into this glycerin thing.

      Delete
  4. it's too many years of letting it happen so it becomes normal. I have a friend that called me while he was driving on Interstate 20 in GA (I'm in OH) and kept telling me he was fine, he thought his sugar was high as he is a diabetic. IT was LOW . I had to threaten to call the cops to get him to pull over and check. He had taken his meds but not ate. Thankful he retired and his wife and family keep check on him. He is the one that lives in Huntsville AL.
    Daddy went through it also but we found out it was his dementia not his sugar. SO you might want to watch him for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      That is scary. I don't think it is dementia because this comes and goes and blood sugar is always low. But, I gave him a little talk about dementia in those who do not control blood sugar. He just listened. I made sure he was lucid and I had quit shaking. That sounds like a guy I know in Huntsville.

      Delete
  5. I do not have someone who frightens me driving unless you count my son-in-law, the retired law enforcement guy (young, 51) who drives every car like it is a squad car in hot pursuit and aalways t least 85 on the interstate. That does frighten me.

    We had a guy in our office who was diabetic and we all kind of looked out for him. Any time he said or did the slightest off-kilter thing we were giving him orange juice to drink. One time he was jumping from his office chair to his credenza and back and didn't even remember it afterward.

    I guess I am a babe in the woods when it comes to handling people with physical issues. My wife, the RN, does that without blinking an eye.

    Your post today scared me to death even as I was reading it. I'm thankful both of you survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      Tommy remembers nothing except his delusions, like the big ditch. The sil sounds scary! Tommy would not remember anything just like the guy in your office. But, Tommy would fight you before he ate or drank anything you gave him. I feel like I have been run over by a truck today.

      Delete
  6. That sounds so terribly scary. Tommy really needs to have candy or something kept in the car at all times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      He refuses anything even when I have candy or something to give him. He only drinks caffeine free drinks, so it would be futile to tempt him with anything like that. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Do you know if Tommy has Brittle Diabetes?

    My mother had this and would have no idea when he sugar was low although I could spot it, it would also drop extremely quickly. Many times I came home as a child and found her rolling around on the floor and shouting gibberish. I used to have to hold her down and force glucose into her mouth.

    On that note Tommy could be refusing your help because he is hallucinating. When my mother's sugar was very low she would hear a female voice in her head telling her not to take the glucose because it was poison. Hence why I had to force it between her lips as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin,
      How horrible for you! This happens so infrequently. We discussed his not listening to me. He said he becomes paranoid. Thanks for the insight.

      Delete
  8. That sounds so dangerous for you and Tommy. Maybe he needs to get his diabetes medicine dosages adjusted by the doctor. I think sometimes doctors try and get people down to lower blood sugar levels thinking that they are doing a good thing, but then those people have a bad reaction and develop sudden, life threatening low blood sugar levels at unexpected times.

    For emergency use in the car, I carry some sugar cubes with me. I tried the chewable glucose tablets but if I didn't have water with me, I found them difficult to chew up and swallow. They kind of puckered up my throat. Somehow, for me, sugar cubes are easier to get to dissolve in my mouth so I can swallow them without water if I don't have it. Thankfully, I have only had to use them a couple of times, and not when I was driving. Is there any possible way you could get Tommy to snack on a little something before going places in the car and not let him know the real reason that you are trying to get him to snack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tHE DOCTOR HAS MAde one adjustment because the blood sugar drops, I call for welfare call. So, he reported to doctor. The doctor did and adjustment so his blood sugar will not drop so. Something is wrong and it is Tommy! He refuses to drink much water which is important. He drinks Diet Dr. Thunder sometimes and coffee. I have gotten some things. I suggest snack before and during car trips. Sometimes I succeed in tricking him. When he is dropping, he accuses me o meddling and says he feels fine and I don't know what I am talking about. He is very insulting at these times. But, I am working on it. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. OMG that sounds terrifying! Hubby is a diabetic so I always carry glucose tablets with me in case his blood sugar drops too low (luckily he tells me when that is happening). Glad you two made it home safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cash Only,
      It was terrifying! Unfortunately, Tommy has no idea he is slurring his words, driving dangerously. He hallucinates, thinking I am trying to get him to drive into ditches. AND, he remembers nothing that has occurred.

      Delete
  10. The poison in diet soft drinks doesn't help, either. Probably makes it worse. Your experiences with that man would give me a stroke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz,
      I know! I feel close to stroke all the time. I try to convince him not to drink Diet drinks, but I have to pick my battles since he is driving erratically.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...